Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 09:13 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,185,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
Preacher you know what is the greatest thing about this country? is that you and I can have this conversation and agree to disagree in a civilize manner of course. Now I didn't say that my spiritual and cultural beliefs do not influence the way I vote for certain people, but I do not think that is the subject that is being discussed here. I think we're talking about religious laws and secular laws and how the two should not be mixed you're free to vote whichever way you want and that's another great thing about this country, those freedoms of which religious laws would deny us all, no matter what religion it is.
I wonder if perhaps we're talking past each other. Should we open up the Bible to the 10 Commandments and say "Here are 10 laws"? No. But I'd be lying if I suggested that my beliefs and values were not affected by my beliefs. Of course, my religion affects that---and as a result, guides the way I vote.

We get accused of trying to enforce our morals. I'm not sure how we're any different from you, or anyone else that has a different set of moral beliefs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 06:40 AM

10,607 posts, read 11,656,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I wonder if perhaps we're talking past each other. Should we open up the Bible to the 10 Commandments and say "Here are 10 laws"? No. But I'd be lying if I suggested that my beliefs and values were not affected by my beliefs. Of course, my religion affects that---and as a result, guides the way I vote.

We get accused of trying to enforce our morals. I'm not sure how we're any different from you, or anyone else that has a different set of moral beliefs.

But preacher don't you see, this country is not governed by moral laws, we are governed by constitutional and secular laws, laws for everyone not just for a few.

Old 04-09-2013, 07:03 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,916,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
[/i]

But preacher don't you see, this country is not governed by moral laws, we are governed by constitutional and secular laws, laws for everyone not just for a few.
Here is where you are talking past each other. Secular laws express morals,but the basis is different. They are based on perceptions of what is best for living in society, while religious laws are based on authority which most often will coincide, but sometimes will contradict secular perceptions. It is in that area that the problem lies. The business of a religion is to convince others in those areas, not legislate from a position of power when there is no basis for a law but the "authority."

Old 04-09-2013, 07:25 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,000,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkhunter View Post
Since the bible clearly says the in the end times things are going to be immoral and evil as far as you see things and this must come to pass before the judgment day, Armageddon,Harmageddon or what ever you call it. Then why do you people fight so hard by trying to pass laws keeping people from doing what you say has to happen.

Would this not pit you against the so called word of god? Would it not put you in the same position as when the disciples said to Jesus that he did not have to die, to which he replied; get behind me Satan.

I guess I never understood why you or many of your kind fight so hard to stop what you say has to happen.Moderator cut: delete
Let me ask you this...

Would you like to see the world come to an end in your lifetime?

If you wonder through the jungles of Sumatra, unarmed, you may find that one of the tigers will decide to attack you and kill you. If you stay out of the jungles there, you don't have to worry about it.

Seems to be in vogue, today, to promote "same-sex-marriages". Know why Sodom and Gomorrah are said to have been destroyed? Guess where the term "Sodomy" comes from. What do you suppose spouses in a same-sex-marriage get to do?

I was always taught that GOD gives us choices. And, he reserves his rewards or retributions according to the choices we make. If you want to behave in a manner to bring about the "end times", why not just aim your car at a concrete abutment? Just because you may want the "end times" to come, does not mean the rest of us do. Why take us with you?

Old 04-09-2013, 07:21 PM

10,020 posts, read 4,960,550 times
....pray for leaders... as in the sense of 1st Timothy 2 v 2 pray seriously that Christians may lead a calm or quiet and peaceful life.

Jesus nor his first-century followers tried to operate the machinery of government, Not got involved in the issues of the day between the Jews and the Romans. They remained neutral in world affairs. Jesus concentrated on teaching the people about the good news of God's kingdom.- Luke 4 v 43
So, we are Not hopeless in the like commission that Jesus gave his followers at Matthew 24 v 14; 28 vs 19,20
Proclaiming ' God's kingdom of a thousand years ' on an international scale as the solution to mankind's problems.
How people react is the basis for Jesus judgment of Matthew 25 vs 31,32, 40.

Old 04-10-2013, 03:12 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,026,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Since we don't know, we have to live a prepared life
Amen

Old 04-10-2013, 09:41 AM

1,599 posts, read 3,133,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkhunter View Post
Since the bible clearly says the in the end times things are going to be immoral and evil as far as you see things and this must come to pass before the judgment day, Armageddon,Harmageddon or what ever you call it. Then why do you people fight so hard by trying to pass laws keeping people from doing what you say has to happen.

Would this not pit you against the so called word of god? Would it not put you in the same position as when the disciples said to Jesus that he did not have to die, to which he replied; get behind me Satan.

I guess I never understood why you or many of your kind fight so hard to stop what you say has to happen.Moderator cut: delete
Seems Armageddon has been with us since Eve took a bite out of that apple. That's Satan for you.

Old 04-11-2013, 08:41 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Amen
And blessings to you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity