U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: I believe the 1000 year reign is....
a literal 1000 year period of time to come. 44 68.75%
a literal 1000 year period of time which has already started. 2 3.13%
the spiritual reign of Christ with believers in the new dispensation in which we live. 8 12.50%
I'm not sure. 10 15.63%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 12:50 PM

3,086 posts, read 5,661,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiangel_writer View Post
and what about the new Jerusalem and people outide wanting in but cannot come thru the gates? This is supposed to be the reign of Christ for the 1000 years.
Which verse is this referring to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2007, 01:18 PM

3,434 posts, read 8,941,118 times
Only the premillennialist (which is me) view takes a literal interpretation of Revelation 20. While the Bible does speak allegorically at times, it is pretty clear when it is doing so. If a passage can be taken literally, it should be IMHO. One thousand years is mentioned specifically in vs 1-7. Other mentions of time in Revelation are specific (ten days - Rev.2:10; forty-two months – Rev. 11:2, 13:5), or otherwise vaguely noted (a little while – Rev. 6:11; a short time – Rev. 12:12).

Old 10-29-2007, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dojilynn View Post
What is the basis for claiming the literal 1000 year reign is erroneous?
What I was referring to as erroneous was using Rev 20 as a stand-alone teaching, a separate prophecy.. IMO it goes along very well with the rest of the Bible.

Old 10-29-2007, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
Only the premillennialist (which is me) view takes a literal interpretation of Revelation 20. While the Bible does speak allegorically at times, it is pretty clear when it is doing so. If a passage can be taken literally, it should be IMHO. One thousand years is mentioned specifically in vs 1-7. Other mentions of time in Revelation are specific (ten days - Rev.2:10; forty-two months Rev. 11:2, 13:5), or otherwise vaguely noted (a little while Rev. 6:11; a short time Rev. 12:12).
Well, for the sake of argument (just remember I love ya arguy!) IMO very little in Revelation can be taken literally. For example in that chapter it talks about a dragon, a chain, a key, a beast, Gog and Magog, etc. I've always interpreted Revelation in the light of other scriptures.. It should never contradict or take away from the rest of the Bible, and much remains mystery.

Old 10-29-2007, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
Well, for the sake of argument (just remember I love ya arguy!) IMO very little in Revelation can be taken literally. For example in that chapter it talks about a dragon, a chain, a key, a beast, Gog and Magog, etc. I've always interpreted Revelation in the light of other scriptures.. It should never contradict or take away from the rest of the Bible, and much remains mystery.
I know..Im only arguing for the sake of arguing and I dont think any of it (agreeing or disagreeing) has anything to do with salvation..

Im more a "bible prophecy" person..I think there is alot more to come.

Old 10-29-2007, 01:48 PM

1,250 posts, read 3,183,923 times
Ok...I might be a little slow in catching on. This may be a dumb question, but like Arguy said, the Bible does say 1000 years. It has been much longer than that since Christ died and was resurrected.

Are you saying the 1000 years is not a literal period of time?

Old 10-29-2007, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dojilynn View Post
Ok...I might be a little slow in catching on. This may be a dumb question, but like Arguy said, the Bible does say 1000 years. It has been much longer than that since Christ died and was resurrected.

Are you saying the 1000 years is not a literal period of time?
Yes, I believe it is referring to a period of time, but not 1000 literal years of 365 days each.. Like I mentioned to arguy, the whole chapter is full of figurative terms..

Old 10-29-2007, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
Yes, I believe it is referring to a period of time, but not 1000 literal years of 365 days each.. Like I mentioned to arguy, the whole chapter is full of figurative terms..
okay..here my catch on that one..correct me if Im not gathering your info correctly..but you are basically saying all prophecy has happened and Revelations is basically a figurative Book..or that Revelations has already happened? or both?

Old 10-29-2007, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
okay..here my catch on that one..correct me if Im not gathering your info correctly..but you are basically saying all prophecy has happened and Revelations is basically a figurative Book..or that Revelations has already happened? or both?
I believe Revelations is real truth. When I said "figurative" I meant that not everything that is mentioned there is literal, but a figure of a literal happening. I don't discount it at all! I believe that some of the happenings mentioned have already happened, (Some of it is talking about the salvation story, etc, which has already happened, etc.)... but not all has happened ... for example the second coming of Christ and the judgment.

Old 10-29-2007, 02:11 PM

7,780 posts, read 13,497,744 times
hmmm.

Well, I haven't read every word of every post here, but I do have a question for you cg81.

If what you say is accurate, and Revelations was written after Christ's death and resurrection, then why was it written if we were already in that period of time?

I'm assuming this period of time began at the Resurrection or at the very latest the Assention when the Holy Spirit was sent to indwell, so why write this portion of Revelations if, in fact, the writer was in this period while it was being written.

I apologize if you've already covered that above, but admittedly I haven't read all the posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity