U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: I believe the 1000 year reign is....
a literal 1000 year period of time to come. 44 68.75%
a literal 1000 year period of time which has already started. 2 3.13%
the spiritual reign of Christ with believers in the new dispensation in which we live. 8 12.50%
I'm not sure. 10 15.63%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 08:43 AM

3,086 posts, read 4,070,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueberry View Post
I believe in a literal thousand year reign that is still to come for two reasons:

1) The OT promises/prophecies given to the Jews--I don't see where some of those promises have been fulfilled. Since God always keeps His word, I see a future fulfillment.
IMO, they have all been fulfilled. The prophecies were given to the Jews as "God's people". God's people today (whoever believes on Christ and is saved) are seeing the prophecies fulfilled. Many of the prophecies came to fruition when the Messiah came (whom most did not recognize because of the hardness of man's heart).

Quote:
2) I believe Creation Week was a pattern by which we could time events. I believe 6000 years of human history are drawing to a close, and God is about to enter his 1000 year rest. Looking at events around the world, I believe we are on the cusp of that change.
I also have thought of this, and it definitely appears that way... however, I believe that the next change that will take place is Christ's return, judgement, and destroying of the earth.

Quote:
As for the rest of prophecy, I believe we see through a glass darkly. I'm not convinced popular teaching is totally accurate. I've read some intriguing things recently that have me wondering if we fully understand the timeline of Daniel's 70th week and the various "days" and "times" mentioned in prophecy. I do think we need to be careful to interpret Scripture with Scripture rather than by man's thinking.
You are right.. we need to be careful.

IMO, Daniels prophecy has been fulfilled!

Quote:
The Seventy Weeks

The Captivity, which was then drawing to a close, had lasted 70 years. Daniel is here told by the angel that it would yet be "70 weeks" till the coming of the Messiah (24).
The "70 weeks" is generally understood to mean 70 weeks of years, that is, 70 sevens of years, or seven times 70 years, that is 490 years. As if the angel were saying, The Captivity has been 70 years; the period between the Captivity and the Coming of the Messiah will be seven times that long.
Seven, and cycles of seven, sometimes have symbolic meanings; yet the actual facts of this prophecy are most amazing, as follows:
The date from which the 70 weeks was to be counted was the decree to rebuild Jerusalem (25). There were three decrees issued by Persian kings for this purpose (536 B.C., 457 B.C., 444 B.C., see under Ezra). The principal one of these was 457 B.C.
The 70 weeks is subdivided into 7 weeks, 62 weeks, and 1 week (25, 27). It is difficult to see the application of the "7 weeks"; but the 69 weeks (including the 7) equal 483 days, that is, on the year-day theory (Ezekiel 4:6), which is the commonly accepted interpretation, 483 years.
This 483 years is the period between the decree to rebuild Jerusalem and the coming of the "Anointed One" (25). The decree to rebuild Jerusalem. as noted above, was 457 B.C. Adding 483 years to 457 B.C. brings us to A.D. 26, the very year that Jesus was baptized and began his public ministry. A most remarkable fulfillment of Daniel's prophecy, even to the year.
Further, within 3 1/2 years Jesus was crucified, that is, "in the midst of the one week" "the Anointed One" was "cut off," "purged away sin and brought in everlasting righteousness" (24, 26, 27).
Thus Daniel foretold not only the Time at which the Messiah would appear, but also the Duration of his Public Ministry, and his Atoning Death for Human Sin.
Some think that God's chronology was suspended at the death of Christ, to remain so while Israel is scattered, and that the last half of the "one week" belongs to the time of the End.

(Halley’s Bible Handbook, Zondervan)

Last edited by cg81; 10-30-2007 at 08:56 AM.. Reason: corrected mistake (bolded)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2007, 08:44 AM

3,434 posts, read 6,705,906 times
I guess the difference in our views is that I see this in Revelations as a future event..one that has not happened yet..check out this Revelation time line..

Revelation 4-5 Rapture (http://www.soulcare.org/Bible%20Studies/Revelation/Revelation_4to5_Rapture.htm - broken link)

Old 10-30-2007, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
I guess the difference in our views is that I see this in Revelations as a future event..one that has not happened yet..check out this Revelation time line..

Revelation 4-5 Rapture (http://www.soulcare.org/Bible%20Studies/Revelation/Revelation_4to5_Rapture.htm - broken link)
I believe that the Second Coming of Christ, the rapture and the judgement will take place almost simultaneously.. definitely a future event.. however, IMO the tribulation that it talks about is past..whether it's talking about the Jews or the Church, both have been severely persecuted.

Old 10-30-2007, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
I believe that the Second Coming of Christ, the rapture and the judgement will take place almost simultaneously.. definitely a future event.. however, IMO the tribulation that it talks about is past..whether it's talking about the Jews or the Church, both have been severely persecuted.
I humbly disagree..
please check out (my last website to post..I promise)

HAS BIBLE PROPHECY ALREADY BEEN FULFILLED? by Thomas Ice

Old 10-30-2007, 09:44 AM

Quote:
I humbly disagree..
please check out (my last website to post..I promise)

HAS BIBLE PROPHECY ALREADY BEEN FULFILLED? by Thomas Ice
I didn't read this all, arguy, but read enough to know that I don't go along with his view NOR the with how he explained the views he was against! He also made it sound as if this belief (preterism) is a new thing, when in fact it goes way back! It is true that futurism is gaining ground (and this is no reflection on you.. ) but do you think that when it comes to fundamental Christian living, that churches today are gaining ground in other areas? If there is "renewed insight" in prophecy, where are the results of this insight by the Holy Spirit in the daily walk? I don't want to sound cynical, but I think you know what I mean. Many people are brought up believing the literal 1000 year reign, and so don't question it.. and I'm not saying that if they believe this, that the rest of their Christian life won't line up... I know enough about you, dojilynn, blueberry, and others to feel like your Christian life IS lining up.. But, IMO, this doctrine got started because not viewing the kingdom of Christ in the proper light.. a peaceable, separate, holy kingdom.. in the world yet not of or conforming to the world.. hard on the flesh! and reigning today.

I wanted to start a thread on "the kingdom of God", but couldn't get my thoughts together last night... My wife wanted to go on a walk (which we did and enjoyed) my daughter wanted my to read to her, and my son wanted my attention too! Sooo, maybe soon.. Like I mentioned, IMO a proper view of "the kingdom of God" really needs to come first before talking about biblical prophecy... Food for thought! And I'm here to learn too.. I've learned so much from you guys..

Last edited by cg81; 10-30-2007 at 10:27 AM.. Reason: clarification

Old 10-30-2007, 09:49 AM

Quote:
I didn't read this all, arguy, but read enough to know that I don't go along with his view NOR the views he was against! He also made it sound as if this belief (preterism) is a new thing, when in fact it goes way back! It is true that futurism is gaining ground (and this is no reflection on you.. ) but do you think that when it comes to fundamental Christian living, that churches today are gaining ground in other areas? If there is "renewed insight" in prophecy, where are the results of this insight by the Holy Spirit in the daily walk? I don't want to sound cynical, but I think you know what I mean. Many people are brought up believing the literal 1000 year reign, and so don't question it.. and I'm not saying that if they believe this, that the rest of their Christian life won't line up... I know enough about you, dojilynn, blueberry, and others to feel like your Christian life IS lining up.. But, IMO, this doctrine got started because not viewing the kingdom of Christ in the proper light.. a peaceable, separate, holy kingdom.. in the world yet not of or conforming to the world.. hard on the flesh! and reigning today.

I wanted to start a thread on "the kingdom of God", but couldn't get my thoughts together last night... My wife wanted to go on a walk (which we did and enjoyed) my daughter wanted my to read to her, and my son wanted my attention too! Sooo, maybe soon.. Like I mentioned, IMO a proper view of "the kingdom of God" really needs to come first before talking about biblical prophecy... Food for thought! And I'm here to learn too.. I've learned so much from you guys..
I guess we just agree to disagree on this subject..
Glad you had time w/ your family.

Old 10-30-2007, 09:55 AM

Quote:
I guess we just agree to disagree on this subject..
Glad you had time w/ your family.
Yes.. and I want to make it abundantly clear that I am confident we are like "brothers in spirit" ... I wasn't meaning that the Holy Spirit wasn't guiding you.. I can see it!

Old 10-30-2007, 11:38 AM

1,250 posts, read 2,373,562 times
Quote:
Yes.. and I want to make it abundantly clear that I am confident we are like "brothers in spirit" ... I wasn't meaning that the Holy Spirit wasn't guiding you.. I can see it!
It was clear, cg81. It was the kind of discussion that I enjoy. It made me look things up and evaluate why I believe the way I do. And there was no name-calling or insults. Thanks for a great thread!

Old 10-30-2007, 01:14 PM

7,768 posts, read 9,716,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dojilynn View Post
It was clear, cg81. It was the kind of discussion that I enjoy. It made me look things up and evaluate why I believe the way I do. And there was no name-calling or insults. Thanks for a great thread!
Ditto what dojilynn said. Also, cg81, is this the belief held by all in your denomination or are there differences in beliefs across the denomination?

Just curious.

Old 10-30-2007, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
Ditto what dojilynn said. Also, cg81, is this the belief held by all in your denomination or are there differences in beliefs across the denomination?

Just curious.
We would all be in unity regarding this... We believe that we are experiencing being part of the kingdom of God, and reigning with Christ.. and not only us, but all believers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity