Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 09:16 AM

3,086 posts, read 6,271,106 times

Advertisements

Awhile back I started this thread: http://www.city-data.com/forum/chris...eady-here.html . After I started it I realized it might be good to discuss "the kingdom of God/kingdom of heaven", which is prominently mentioned in the NT. Now, I have a very long list of verses, and admittedly I just did a search for "kingdom of God" and "kingdom of heaven", and I'll also have to say that I didn't read them all over yet myself! (so you can't say I deleted the ones that don't fit my agenda! )

Anyway, my question is...

Are there any of these verses that could not apply to the kingdom we are in now, as believers? And are there any prophecies in the OT that are looking for more of a kingdom than this? Just to pick out two verses...
Lu 17:20 And when he was demanded of the Pharisees, when the kingdom of God should come, he answered them and said, The kingdom of God cometh not with observation:
Lu 17:21 Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you.
The Pharisees and most of the Jews, having "hardened hearts", had missed the message of the prophets. They were expecting that the Messiah would bring a literal kingdom, freeing them from literal rulers. Before Pentecost, when the Holy Spirit was poured out, the disciples seemed to be under this impression, also. Jesus sharply rebuked these thoughts, though, and constantly seemed weary of their unbelief and lack of understanding! After the Holy Spirit was poured out, the scene drastically changed, and the disciples saw and were inspired by the fulfillment of prophecy. Not once is there a hint of a literal reign after this!

Here are the verses:

Mt 6:33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.
Mt 12:28 But if I cast out devils by the Spirit of God, then the kingdom of God is come unto you.
Mt 19:24 And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.
Mt 21:31 Whether of them twain did the will of his father? They say unto him, The first. Jesus saith unto them, Verily I say unto you, That the publicans and the harlots go into the kingdom of God before you.
Mt 21:43 Therefore say I unto you, The kingdom of God shall be taken from you, and given to a nation bringing forth the fruits thereof.
Mr 1:14 Now after that John was put in prison, Jesus came into Galilee, preaching the gospel of the kingdom of God,
Mr 1:15 And saying, The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe the gospel.
Mr 4:11 And he said unto them, Unto you it is given to know the mystery of the kingdom of God: but unto them that are without, all these things are done in parables:
Mr 4:26 And he said, So is the kingdom of God, as if a man should cast seed into the ground;
Mr 4:30 And he said, Whereunto shall we liken the kingdom of God? or with what comparison shall we compare it?
Mr 9:1 And he said unto them, Verily I say unto you, That there be some of them that stand here, which shall not taste of death, till they have seen the kingdom of God come with power.
Mr 9:47 And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out: it is better for thee to enter into the kingdom of God with one eye, than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire:
Mr 10:14 But when Jesus saw it, he was much displeased, and said unto them, Suffer the little children to come unto me, and forbid them not: for of such is the kingdom of God.
Mr 10:15 Verily I say unto you, Whosoever shall not receive the kingdom of God as a little child, he shall not enter therein.
Mr 10:23 And Jesus looked round about, and saith unto his disciples, How hardly shall they that have riches enter into the kingdom of God!
Mr 10:24 And the disciples were astonished at his words. But Jesus answereth again, and saith unto them, Children, how hard is it for them that trust in riches to enter into the kingdom of God!
Mr 10:25 It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.
Mr 12:34 And when Jesus saw that he answered discreetly, he said unto him, Thou art not far from the kingdom of God. And no man after that durst ask him any question.
Mr 14:25 Verily I say unto you, I will drink no more of the fruit of the vine, until that day that I drink it new in the kingdom of God.
Mr 15:43 Joseph of Arimathaea, an honourable counsellor, which also waited for the kingdom of God, came, and went in boldly unto Pilate, and craved the body of Jesus.
Lu 4:43 And he said unto them, I must preach the kingdom of God to other cities also: for therefore am I sent.
Lu 6:20 And he lifted up his eyes on his disciples, and said, Blessed be ye poor: for yours is the kingdom of God.
Lu 7:28 For I say unto you, Among those that are born of women there is not a greater prophet than John the Baptist: but he that is least in the kingdom of God is greater than he.
Lu 8:1 And it came to pass afterward, that he went throughout every city and village, preaching and shewing the glad tidings of the kingdom of God: and the twelve were with him,
Lu 8:10 And he said, Unto you it is given to know the mysteries of the kingdom of God: but to others in parables; that seeing they might not see, and hearing they might not understand.
Lu 9:2 And he sent them to preach the kingdom of God, and to heal the sick.
Lu 9:11 And the people, when they knew it, followed him: and he received them, and spake unto them of the kingdom of God, and healed them that had need of healing.
Lu 9:27 But I tell you of a truth, there be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the kingdom of God.
Lu 9:60 Jesus said unto him, Let the dead bury their dead: but go thou and preach the kingdom of God.
Lu 9:62 And Jesus said unto him, No man, having put his hand to the plough, and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God.
Lu 10:9 And heal the sick that are therein, and say unto them, The kingdom of God is come nigh unto you.
Lu 10:11 Even the very dust of your city, which cleaveth on us, we do wipe off against you: notwithstanding be ye sure of this, that the kingdom of God is come nigh unto you.
Lu 11:20 But if I with the finger of God cast out devils, no doubt the kingdom of God is come upon you.
Lu 12:31 But rather seek ye the kingdom of God; and all these things shall be added unto you.
Lu 13:18 Then said he, Unto what is the kingdom of God like? and whereunto shall I resemble it?
Lu 13:20 And again he said, Whereunto shall I liken the kingdom of God?
Lu 13:28 There shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth, when ye shall see Abraham, and Isaac, and Jacob, and all the prophets, in the kingdom of God, and you yourselves thrust out.
Lu 13:29 And they shall come from the east, and from the west, and from the north, and from the south, and shall sit down in the kingdom of God.
Lu 14:15 And when one of them that sat at meat with him heard these things, he said unto him, Blessed is he that shall eat bread in the kingdom of God.
Lu 16:16 The law and the prophets were until John: since that time the kingdom of God is preached, and every man presseth into it.
Lu 17:20 And when he was demanded of the Pharisees, when the kingdom of God should come, he answered them and said, The kingdom of God cometh not with observation:
Lu 17:21 Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you.
Lu 18:16 But Jesus called them unto him, and said, Suffer little children to come unto me, and forbid them not: for of such is the kingdom of God.
Lu 18:17 Verily I say unto you, Whosoever shall not receive the kingdom of God as a little child shall in no wise enter therein.
Lu 18:24 And when Jesus saw that he was very sorrowful, he said, How hardly shall they that have riches enter into the kingdom of God!
Lu 18:25 For it is easier for a camel to go through a needle’s eye, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.
Lu 18:29 And he said unto them, Verily I say unto you, There is no man that hath left house, or parents, or brethren, or wife, or children, for the kingdom of God‘s sake,
Lu 19:11 And as they heard these things, he added and spake a parable, because he was nigh to Jerusalem, and because they thought that the kingdom of God should immediately appear.
Lu 21:31 So likewise ye, when ye see these things come to pass, know ye that the kingdom of God is nigh at hand.
Lu 22:16 For I say unto you, I will not any more eat thereof, until it be fulfilled in the kingdom of God.
Lu 22:18 For I say unto you, I will not drink of the fruit of the vine, until the kingdom of God shall come.
Lu 23:51 (The same had not consented to the counsel and deed of them he was of Arimathaea, a city of the Jews: who also himself waited for the kingdom of God.
Joh 3:3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.
Joh 3:5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.
Ac 1:3 To whom also he shewed himself alive after his passion by many infallible proofs, being seen of them forty days, and speaking of the things pertaining to the kingdom of God:
Ac 8:12 But when they believed Philip preaching the things concerning the kingdom of God, and the name of Jesus Christ, they were baptized, both men and women.
Ac 14:22 Confirming the souls of the disciples, and exhorting them to continue in the faith, and that we must through much tribulation enter into the kingdom of God.
Ac 19:8 And he went into the synagogue, and spake boldly for the space of three months, disputing and persuading the things concerning the kingdom of God.
Ac 20:25 And now, behold, I know that ye all, among whom I have gone preaching the kingdom of God, shall see my face no more.
Ac 28:23 And when they had appointed him a day, there came many to him into his lodging; to whom he expounded and testified the kingdom of God, persuading them concerning Jesus, both out of the law of Moses, and out of the prophets, from morning till evening.
Ac 28:31 Preaching the kingdom of God, and teaching those things which concern the Lord Jesus Christ, with all confidence, no man forbidding him.
Ro 14:17 For the kingdom of God is not meat and drink; but righteousness, and peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost.
1Co 4:20 For the kingdom of God is not in word, but in power.
1Co 6:9 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,
1Co 6:10 Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.
1Co 15:50 Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither doth corruption inherit incorruption.
Ga 5:21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.
Col 4:11 And Jesus, which is called Justus, who are of the circumcision. These only are my fellowworkers unto the kingdom of God, which have been a comfort unto me.
2Th 1:5 Which is a manifest token of the righteous judgment of God, that ye may be counted worthy of the kingdom of God, for which ye also suffer:
Mt 3:2 And saying, Repent ye: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.
Mt 4:17 From that time Jesus began to preach, and to say, Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.
Mt 5:3 Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Mt 5:10 Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness’ sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Mt 5:19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.
Mt 5:20 For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.
Mt 7:21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
Mt 8:11 And I say unto you, That many shall come from the east and west, and shall sit down with Abraham, and Isaac, and Jacob, in the kingdom of heaven.
Mt 10:7 And as ye go, preach, saying, The kingdom of heaven is at hand.
Mt 11:11 Verily I say unto you, Among them that are born of women there hath not risen a greater than John the Baptist: notwithstanding he that is least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he.
Mt 11:12 And from the days of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of heaven suffereth violence, and the violent take it by force.
Mt 13:11 He answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given.
Mt 13:24 Another parable put he forth unto them, saying, The kingdom of heaven is likened unto a man which sowed good seed in his field:
Mt 13:31 Another parable put he forth unto them, saying, The kingdom of heaven is like to a grain of mustard seed, which a man took, and sowed in his field:
Mt 13:33 Another parable spake he unto them; The kingdom of heaven is like unto leaven, which a woman took, and hid in three measures of meal, till the whole was leavened.
Mt 13:44 Again, the kingdom of heaven is like unto treasure hid in a field; the which when a man hath found, he hideth, and for joy thereof goeth and selleth all that he hath, and buyeth that field.
Mt 13:45 Again, the kingdom of heaven is like unto a merchant man, seeking goodly pearls:
Mt 13:47 Again, the kingdom of heaven is like unto a net, that was cast into the sea, and gathered of every kind:
Mt 13:52 Then said he unto them, Therefore every scribe which is instructed unto the kingdom of heaven is like unto a man that is an householder, which bringeth forth out of his treasure things new and old.
Mt 16:19 And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.
Mt 18:1 At the same time came the disciples unto Jesus, saying, Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?
Mt 18:3 And said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.
Mt 18:4 Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven.
Mt 18:23 Therefore is the kingdom of heaven likened unto a certain king, which would take account of his servants.
Mt 19:12 For there are some eunuchs, which were so born from their mother’s womb: and there are some eunuchs, which were made eunuchs of men: and there be eunuchs, which have made themselves eunuchs for the kingdom of heaven‘s sake. He that is able to receive it, let him receive it.
Mt 19:14 But Jesus said, Suffer little children, and forbid them not, to come unto me: for of such is the kingdom of heaven.
Mt 19:23 Then said Jesus unto his disciples, Verily I say unto you, That a rich man shall hardly enter into the kingdom of heaven.
Mt 20:1 For the kingdom of heaven is like unto a man that is an householder, which went out early in the morning to hire labourers into his vineyard.
Mt 22:2 The kingdom of heaven is like unto a certain king, which made a marriage for his son,
Mt 23:13 But woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye shut up the kingdom of heaven against men: for ye neither go in yourselves, neither suffer ye them that are entering to go in.
Mt 25:1 Then shall the kingdom of heaven be likened unto ten virgins, which took their lamps, and went forth to meet the bridegroom.
Mt 25:14 For the kingdom of heaven is as a man travelling into a far country, who called his own servants, and delivered unto them his goods.

Last edited by cg81; 12-10-2007 at 09:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2007, 02:53 PM

1,897 posts, read 3,492,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
Awhile back I started this thread: http://www.city-data.com/forum/chris...eady-here.html . After I started it I realized it might be good to discuss "the kingdom of God/kingdom of heaven", which is prominently mentioned in the NT. Now, I have a very long list of verses, and admittedly I just did a search for "kingdom of God" and "kingdom of heaven", and I'll also have to say that I didn't read them all over yet myself! (so you can't say I deleted the ones that don't fit my agenda! )

Anyway, my question is...

Are there any of these verses that could not apply to the kingdom we are in now, as believers? And are there any prophecies in the OT that are looking for more of a kingdom than this? Just to pick out two verses...
The Pharisees and most of the Jews, having "hardened hearts", had missed the message of the prophets. They were expecting that the Messiah would bring a literal kingdom, freeing them from literal rulers. Before Pentecost, when the Holy Spirit was poured out, the disciples seemed to be under this impression, also. Jesus sharply rebuked these thoughts, though, and constantly seemed weary of their unbelief and lack of understanding! After the Holy Spirit was poured out, the scene drastically changed, and the disciples saw and were inspired by the fulfillment of prophecy. Not once is there a hint of a literal reign after this!

Here are the verses:

Mt 6:33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.
Mt 12:28 But if I cast out devils by the Spirit of God, then the kingdom of God is come unto you.
Mt 19:24 And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.
Mt 21:31 Whether of them twain did the will of his father? They say unto him, The first. Jesus saith unto them, Verily I say unto you, That the publicans and the harlots go into the kingdom of God before you.
Mt 21:43 Therefore say I unto you, The kingdom of God shall be taken from you, and given to a nation bringing forth the fruits thereof.
Mr 1:14 Now after that John was put in prison, Jesus came into Galilee, preaching the gospel of the kingdom of God,
Mr 1:15 And saying, The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe the gospel.
Mr 4:11 And he said unto them, Unto you it is given to know the mystery of the kingdom of God: but unto them that are without, all these things are done in parables:
Mr 4:26 And he said, So is the kingdom of God, as if a man should cast seed into the ground;
Mr 4:30 And he said, Whereunto shall we liken the kingdom of God? or with what comparison shall we compare it?
Mr 9:1 And he said unto them, Verily I say unto you, That there be some of them that stand here, which shall not taste of death, till they have seen the kingdom of God come with power.
Mr 9:47 And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out: it is better for thee to enter into the kingdom of God with one eye, than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire:
Mr 10:14 But when Jesus saw it, he was much displeased, and said unto them, Suffer the little children to come unto me, and forbid them not: for of such is the kingdom of God.
Mr 10:15 Verily I say unto you, Whosoever shall not receive the kingdom of God as a little child, he shall not enter therein.
Mr 10:23 And Jesus looked round about, and saith unto his disciples, How hardly shall they that have riches enter into the kingdom of God!
Mr 10:24 And the disciples were astonished at his words. But Jesus answereth again, and saith unto them, Children, how hard is it for them that trust in riches to enter into the kingdom of God!
Mr 10:25 It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.
Mr 12:34 And when Jesus saw that he answered discreetly, he said unto him, Thou art not far from the kingdom of God. And no man after that durst ask him any question.
Mr 14:25 Verily I say unto you, I will drink no more of the fruit of the vine, until that day that I drink it new in the kingdom of God.
Mr 15:43 Joseph of Arimathaea, an honourable counsellor, which also waited for the kingdom of God, came, and went in boldly unto Pilate, and craved the body of Jesus.
Lu 4:43 And he said unto them, I must preach the kingdom of God to other cities also: for therefore am I sent.
Lu 6:20 And he lifted up his eyes on his disciples, and said, Blessed be ye poor: for yours is the kingdom of God.
Lu 7:28 For I say unto you, Among those that are born of women there is not a greater prophet than John the Baptist: but he that is least in the kingdom of God is greater than he.
Lu 8:1 And it came to pass afterward, that he went throughout every city and village, preaching and shewing the glad tidings of the kingdom of God: and the twelve were with him,
Lu 8:10 And he said, Unto you it is given to know the mysteries of the kingdom of God: but to others in parables; that seeing they might not see, and hearing they might not understand.
Lu 9:2 And he sent them to preach the kingdom of God, and to heal the sick.
Lu 9:11 And the people, when they knew it, followed him: and he received them, and spake unto them of the kingdom of God, and healed them that had need of healing.
Lu 9:27 But I tell you of a truth, there be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the kingdom of God.
Lu 9:60 Jesus said unto him, Let the dead bury their dead: but go thou and preach the kingdom of God.
Lu 9:62 And Jesus said unto him, No man, having put his hand to the plough, and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God.
Lu 10:9 And heal the sick that are therein, and say unto them, The kingdom of God is come nigh unto you.
Lu 10:11 Even the very dust of your city, which cleaveth on us, we do wipe off against you: notwithstanding be ye sure of this, that the kingdom of God is come nigh unto you.
Lu 11:20 But if I with the finger of God cast out devils, no doubt the kingdom of God is come upon you.
Lu 12:31 But rather seek ye the kingdom of God; and all these things shall be added unto you.
Lu 13:18 Then said he, Unto what is the kingdom of God like? and whereunto shall I resemble it?
Lu 13:20 And again he said, Whereunto shall I liken the kingdom of God?
Lu 13:28 There shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth, when ye shall see Abraham, and Isaac, and Jacob, and all the prophets, in the kingdom of God, and you yourselves thrust out.
Lu 13:29 And they shall come from the east, and from the west, and from the north, and from the south, and shall sit down in the kingdom of God.
Lu 14:15 And when one of them that sat at meat with him heard these things, he said unto him, Blessed is he that shall eat bread in the kingdom of God.
Lu 16:16 The law and the prophets were until John: since that time the kingdom of God is preached, and every man presseth into it.
Lu 18:16 But Jesus called them unto him, and said, Suffer little children to come unto me, and forbid them not: for of such is the kingdom of God.
Lu 18:17 Verily I say unto you, Whosoever shall not receive the kingdom of God as a little child shall in no wise enter therein.
Lu 18:24 And when Jesus saw that he was very sorrowful, he said, How hardly shall they that have riches enter into the kingdom of God!
Lu 18:25 For it is easier for a camel to go through a needle’s eye, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.
Lu 18:29 And he said unto them, Verily I say unto you, There is no man that hath left house, or parents, or brethren, or wife, or children, for the kingdom of God‘s sake,
Lu 19:11 And as they heard these things, he added and spake a parable, because he was nigh to Jerusalem, and because they thought that the kingdom of God should immediately appear.
Lu 21:31 So likewise ye, when ye see these things come to pass, know ye that the kingdom of God is nigh at hand.
Lu 22:16 For I say unto you, I will not any more eat thereof, until it be fulfilled in the kingdom of God.
Lu 22:18 For I say unto you, I will not drink of the fruit of the vine, until the kingdom of God shall come.
Lu 23:51 (The same had not consented to the counsel and deed of them he was of Arimathaea, a city of the Jews: who also himself waited for the kingdom of God.
Joh 3:3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.
Joh 3:5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.
Ac 1:3 To whom also he shewed himself alive after his passion by many infallible proofs, being seen of them forty days, and speaking of the things pertaining to the kingdom of God:
Ac 8:12 But when they believed Philip preaching the things concerning the kingdom of God, and the name of Jesus Christ, they were baptized, both men and women.
Ac 14:22 Confirming the souls of the disciples, and exhorting them to continue in the faith, and that we must through much tribulation enter into the kingdom of God.
Ac 19:8 And he went into the synagogue, and spake boldly for the space of three months, disputing and persuading the things concerning the kingdom of God.
Ac 20:25 And now, behold, I know that ye all, among whom I have gone preaching the kingdom of God, shall see my face no more.
Ac 28:23 And when they had appointed him a day, there came many to him into his lodging; to whom he expounded and testified the kingdom of God, persuading them concerning Jesus, both out of the law of Moses, and out of the prophets, from morning till evening.
Ac 28:31 Preaching the kingdom of God, and teaching those things which concern the Lord Jesus Christ, with all confidence, no man forbidding him.
Ro 14:17 For the kingdom of God is not meat and drink; but righteousness, and peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost.
1Co 4:20 For the kingdom of God is not in word, but in power.
1Co 6:9 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,
1Co 6:10 Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.
1Co 15:50 Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither doth corruption inherit incorruption.
Ga 5:21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.
Col 4:11 And Jesus, which is called Justus, who are of the circumcision. These only are my fellowworkers unto the kingdom of God, which have been a comfort unto me.
2Th 1:5 Which is a manifest token of the righteous judgment of God, that ye may be counted worthy of the kingdom of God, for which ye also suffer:
Mt 3:2 And saying, Repent ye: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.
Mt 4:17 From that time Jesus began to preach, and to say, Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.
Mt 5:3 Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Mt 5:10 Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness’ sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Mt 5:19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.
Mt 5:20 For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.
Mt 7:21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
Mt 8:11 And I say unto you, That many shall come from the east and west, and shall sit down with Abraham, and Isaac, and Jacob, in the kingdom of heaven.
Mt 10:7 And as ye go, preach, saying, The kingdom of heaven is at hand.
Mt 11:11 Verily I say unto you, Among them that are born of women there hath not risen a greater than John the Baptist: notwithstanding he that is least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he.
Mt 11:12 And from the days of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of heaven suffereth violence, and the violent take it by force.
Mt 13:11 He answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given.
Mt 13:24 Another parable put he forth unto them, saying, The kingdom of heaven is likened unto a man which sowed good seed in his field:
Mt 13:31 Another parable put he forth unto them, saying, The kingdom of heaven is like to a grain of mustard seed, which a man took, and sowed in his field:
Mt 13:33 Another parable spake he unto them; The kingdom of heaven is like unto leaven, which a woman took, and hid in three measures of meal, till the whole was leavened.
Mt 13:44 Again, the kingdom of heaven is like unto treasure hid in a field; the which when a man hath found, he hideth, and for joy thereof goeth and selleth all that he hath, and buyeth that field.
Mt 13:45 Again, the kingdom of heaven is like unto a merchant man, seeking goodly pearls:
Mt 13:47 Again, the kingdom of heaven is like unto a net, that was cast into the sea, and gathered of every kind:
Mt 13:52 Then said he unto them, Therefore every scribe which is instructed unto the kingdom of heaven is like unto a man that is an householder, which bringeth forth out of his treasure things new and old.
Mt 16:19 And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.
Mt 18:1 At the same time came the disciples unto Jesus, saying, Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?
Mt 18:3 And said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.
Mt 18:4 Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven.
Mt 18:23 Therefore is the kingdom of heaven likened unto a certain king, which would take account of his servants.
Mt 19:12 For there are some eunuchs, which were so born from their mother’s womb: and there are some eunuchs, which were made eunuchs of men: and there be eunuchs, which have made themselves eunuchs for the kingdom of heaven‘s sake. He that is able to receive it, let him receive it.
Mt 19:14 But Jesus said, Suffer little children, and forbid them not, to come unto me: for of such is the kingdom of heaven.
Mt 19:23 Then said Jesus unto his disciples, Verily I say unto you, That a rich man shall hardly enter into the kingdom of heaven.
Mt 20:1 For the kingdom of heaven is like unto a man that is an householder, which went out early in the morning to hire labourers into his vineyard.
Mt 22:2 The kingdom of heaven is like unto a certain king, which made a marriage for his son,
Mt 23:13 But woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye shut up the kingdom of heaven against men: for ye neither go in yourselves, neither suffer ye them that are entering to go in.
Mt 25:1 Then shall the kingdom of heaven be likened unto ten virgins, which took their lamps, and went forth to meet the bridegroom.
Mt 25:14 For the kingdom of heaven is as a man travelling into a far country, who called his own servants, and delivered unto them his goods.
Yes, Jesus said "My kingdom is not of this world."

Preterist

Old 12-10-2007, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preterist View Post
Yes, Jesus said "My kingdom is not of this world."

Preterist

Yes... I was just thinking today of the angels' message to the shepherds...
Luke 2:10 And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people.
11 For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord.
12 And this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger.
13 And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God, and saying,
14 Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men.
This was a spectacular event... the angels were not misinformed. The glad tidings were to all people! If Jesus' plan when He came was for a literal reign with the Jews, this message would not be true. The plan was fulfilled... the Redeemer had come with good will to all. Literal fighting and war, with the God's people fighting literal enemies, simply doesn't stand up to this message, or, more importantly, any of Jesus' message, ever!

Last edited by cg81; 12-10-2007 at 04:56 PM..

Old 12-11-2007, 09:49 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,884,908 times
Quote:
This was a spectacular event... the angels were not misinformed. The glad tidings were to all people! If Jesus' plan when He came was for a literal reign with the Jews, this message would not be true. The plan was fulfilled... the Redeemer had come with good will to all. Literal fighting and war, with the God's people fighting literal enemies, simply doesn't stand up to this message, or, more importantly, any of Jesus' message, ever!
So you're saying what, cg81?

I've been trying to follow you through a couple of these threads, but apparently my veil hasn't been lifted.

I'm completely in the fog.

What, exactly, are you saying that appears to be counter to how 'most' Christians believe?

I want to understand.

Old 12-11-2007, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
So you're saying what, cg81?

I've been trying to follow you through a couple of these threads, but apparently my veil hasn't been lifted.

I'm completely in the fog.

What, exactly, are you saying that appears to be counter to how 'most' Christians believe?

I want to understand.
As Christians, we've been born again. We agree that our lives have been transformed, and we're reigning over sin, because of Christ. The Holy Spirit helps us in the fight. We all talk about the old law being fulfilled by the new law, the new dispensation. I think we're all in agreement with that.

But what I'm saying is, it seems hard for many to make the connection between what we are experiencing, and what was foretold in the OT when it comes to "the kingdom of God" (and then also how Rev. 20 is interpreted). And a literal reign is the only explanation that many (probably most on this board) have been taught, and so maybe they haven't really searched it out, or questioned it. Now I haven't done in-depth studies on how people would interpret what they believe the literal 1000 year reign to come, and yet what I have seen does not stand up to the Bible and can be explained by the living, reigning believers, having been born again in Christ's kingdom.

It might seem on the surface that it doesn't make much difference.. and I agree that many, many saved Christians believe in a literal reign. But it does make a significant difference.. my question is.. how much of the old law do we see as having passed away? If we are looking for a literal reign, with Jesus coming back as a judge and ruler, instituting the sacrificial system with the Jews again, and literally fighting the enemies of God... this sounds like we're hanging on to the old law! Jesus came for all men.. and the NT clearly states that "there is neither Jew nor Greek... but all are one in Christ Jesus."

Jesus had this to say to the Pharisees:
Matthew 3:8 Bring forth therefore fruits meet for repentance:
9 And think not to say within yourselves, We have Abraham to our father: for I say unto you, that God is able of these stones to raise up children unto Abraham.
There are many who say that the Jews are still God's people, and thus put alot of Old Testament prophecies as being fulfilled in a literal sense sometime in the future. But we are all God's people now! Everyone who is born again.. The Jews are not over the Gentiles, the Gentiles not over the Jews in God's eyes. I believe it is Paul somewhere that says that we are all sons of Abraham.

Now, like I said it may not appear to make much of a difference.. and yet it affects the validity to our day of Jesus' message, and if we are expecting a coming peaceful kingdom when it actually is today, somewhere we are going to be missing something.

I don't know if this helps... please ask questions! I want this to be an enlightening discussion for all, and to learn about it more myself.

Old 12-13-2007, 08:32 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,694,526 times
Quote:
As Christians, we've been born again. We agree that our lives have been transformed, and we're reigning over sin, because of Christ. The Holy Spirit helps us in the fight. We all talk about the old law being fulfilled by the new law, the new dispensation. I think we're all in agreement with that.

But what I'm saying is, it seems hard for many to make the connection between what we are experiencing, and what was foretold in the OT when it comes to "the kingdom of God" (and then also how Rev. 20 is interpreted). And a literal reign is the only explanation that many (probably most on this board) have been taught, and so maybe they haven't really searched it out, or questioned it. Now I haven't done in-depth studies on how people would interpret what they believe the literal 1000 year reign to come, and yet what I have seen does not stand up to the Bible and can be explained by the living, reigning believers, having been born again in Christ's kingdom.

It might seem on the surface that it doesn't make much difference.. and I agree that many, many saved Christians believe in a literal reign. But it does make a significant difference.. my question is.. how much of the old law do we see as having passed away? If we are looking for a literal reign, with Jesus coming back as a judge and ruler, instituting the sacrificial system with the Jews again, and literally fighting the enemies of God... this sounds like we're hanging on to the old law! Jesus came for all men.. and the NT clearly states that "there is neither Jew nor Greek... but all are one in Christ Jesus."

Jesus had this to say to the Pharisees:
Matthew 3:8 Bring forth therefore fruits meet for repentance:
9 And think not to say within yourselves, We have Abraham to our father: for I say unto you, that God is able of these stones to raise up children unto Abraham.
There are many who say that the Jews are still God's people, and thus put alot of Old Testament prophecies as being fulfilled in a literal sense sometime in the future. But we are all God's people now! Everyone who is born again.. The Jews are not over the Gentiles, the Gentiles not over the Jews in God's eyes. I believe it is Paul somewhere that says that we are all sons of Abraham.

Now, like I said it may not appear to make much of a difference.. and yet it affects the validity to our day of Jesus' message, and if we are expecting a coming peaceful kingdom when it actually is today, somewhere we are going to be missing something.

I don't know if this helps... please ask questions! I want this to be an enlightening discussion for all, and to learn about it more myself.
Answer to scripture reference of Abraham is found in Galatian 3:7; Therefore know that only those who are of faith are sons of Abraham.

Thank you for this thread! It has created a thirst to seek all of this a little closer and deeper. Read your other thread and do have a lot of questions now in my heart. Going to seek this because there is something there and I can't put it into words. But do know the Lord is wanting to reveal something to me and others.
Once again thanks

Old 12-13-2007, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlythecosmo View Post
Thank you for this thread! It has created a thirst to seek all of this a little closer and deeper. Read your other thread and do have a lot of questions now in my heart. Going to seek this because there is something there and I can't put it into words. But do know the Lord is wanting to reveal something to me and others.
Once again thanks
And thank you for your reply! We all need to go a little closer and deeper. I'm glad if I can be of help...your posts have been inspiring to me as well!

Old 12-14-2007, 08:18 AM

This was taken from another thread, and was placed here so as not to take it off topic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior4Jesus View Post
If he's saying that Christ is not the Messiah for Israel, then that is obviously wrong. But if he's saying that Christ did not come to earth the first time to be Messiah (in the sense of setting up his kingdom), then isn't that correct? (Meaning that He came to earth to die for sin the first time, and will come to earth the second time to set up His kingdom).
Just wondering, is this what most believe? Where does the Bible say that Jesus will set up another kingdom than the one mentioned so often in the NT, when He comes the second time?

Old 12-15-2007, 11:38 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,694,526 times
There isn't another kingdom. Christ will come the second time to judge. The kingdom of God is here now. Christ fulfilled this when He came.
Hebrews chapter 11- shows they all walked in faith, before Christ came to the earth. They had the law, that pointed them to Christ who was the fulfillment of Gods kingdom. He was the ultimate sacrifice.
They (Abraham, Moses, Isaac, Jacob, Joesph, Gideon, so forth) believe it from a far off the promises of God by faith, they obeyed God. They believe Him even though they did not see it. Just like for us today. But we have seen it through Christ Jesus.
Jesus Christ is the Kingdom of God and those who believe the promises of God through Jesus Christ are reigning with Him now! If it is considered the 1000 years I don't know, because our thought process as far a time goes, I believe is not the same as the Fathers! But It does make sense, because we are given for instance, sin shall not have dominion over us...... so to me that is saying when sin may try to manipulate me, I have the promised Holy Spirit to give me the overcoming power of that which tries to manipulate me into its power. So trusting the Holy Spirit brings the peace I would forfeit if I tried to do it in my own strength. I believe that is what my church has taught me about a sanctified life. A life that is totally surrender to Christ Jesus. To me it is a perfect state of being. Perfect in the sense of I completely trusting Jesus Christ in everything.....
Am I making sense? It's in my heart but cg81, I don't know if my mind is wording it properly.... I told you something was stirring my heart in what you have posted.

Last edited by Cyber Munchkin; 12-15-2007 at 12:03 PM..

Old 12-17-2007, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlythecosmo View Post
There isn't another kingdom. Christ will come the second time to judge. The kingdom of God is here now. Christ fulfilled this when He came.
Hebrews chapter 11- shows they all walked in faith, before Christ came to the earth. They had the law, that pointed them to Christ who was the fulfillment of Gods kingdom. He was the ultimate sacrifice.
They (Abraham, Moses, Isaac, Jacob, Joesph, Gideon, so forth) believe it from a far off the promises of God by faith, they obeyed God. They believe Him even though they did not see it. Just like for us today. But we have seen it through Christ Jesus.
Jesus Christ is the Kingdom of God and those who believe the promises of God through Jesus Christ are reigning with Him now! If it is considered the 1000 years I don't know, because our thought process as far a time goes, I believe is not the same as the Fathers! But It does make sense, because we are given for instance, sin shall not have dominion over us...... so to me that is saying when sin may try to manipulate me, I have the promised Holy Spirit to give me the overcoming power of that which tries to manipulate me into its power. So trusting the Holy Spirit brings the peace I would forfeit if I tried to do it in my own strength. I believe that is what my church has taught me about a sanctified life. A life that is totally surrender to Christ Jesus. To me it is a perfect state of being. Perfect in the sense of I completely trusting Jesus Christ in everything.....
Am I making sense? It's in my heart but cg81, I don't know if my mind is wording it properly.... I told you something was stirring my heart in what you have posted.
Exactly! We are living in the time that the prophets looked forward to, the time of spiritual "peace and prosperity" available to all. Everyone who is born again enters this kingdom. As citizens of a heavenly kingdom, this old earth loses its appeal, doesn't it? Our citizenship on earth becomes second-place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity