Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your favorite Christmas carol/song?
O Holy Night 9 26.47%
Silent Night 1 2.94%
Hark! The Herald Angels Sing 0 0%
O Llittle Town of Bethlehem 0 0%
Away in a Manger 0 0%
We Three Kings 0 0%
O Come All ye Faithful 2 5.88%
Handel's Messiah-The Hallelujah Chorus 0 0%
O Come, o come Immanuel 2 5.88%
It Came Upon a Midnight Clear 0 0%
God Rest Ye Merry Gentleman 0 0%
Joy to the World 1 2.94%
I saw 3 Ships 2 5.88%
Ave Maria 1 2.94%
Do you hear what I hear? 1 2.94%
Mary, did you know? 2 5.88%
White Christmas 1 2.94%
Blue Christmas 0 0%
Jingle Bells 0 0%
Rudolph the red nosed reindeer 1 2.94%
The First Noel 2 5.88%
I'll be home for Christmas 1 2.94%
Little Drummer Boy 1 2.94%
What Child is this? 2 5.88%
Winter Wonderland 1 2.94%
Silver Bells 0 0%
Let it Snow! 0 0%
The 12 Days of Christmas 0 0%
The Christmas Song 1 2.94%
I absolutely will not discuss this until at least Dec. !st! 3 8.82%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 09:40 AM

264 posts, read 827,449 times

Advertisements

wow...that was a tough poll!! O Holy Night is awesome. I get goosebumps when I even think of it. But...I had to vote for "Oh come all ye faithful" as my fav. cause with my awful voice its the only one I can really sing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2007, 09:40 AM

30,286 posts, read 51,765,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
I had forgotten that you play viola, right! My husband does too. We "talked" about that and I had forgotten. I'm sure you have played a lot of beautiful Christmas music.
Yup, I play viola! We get all the boring harmony, but those particular songs have nice viola parts... love playing Handel's Hallelujah chorus, with ALL the gusto my bow can handle - what a rush!! That's a fantastic piece of music, no matter what your religious beliefs are. And yes, I have played lots of beautiful Christmas & other holiday music over the years... November and December are busy months for a musician, LOL.

Old 10-31-2007, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
So a Jewish girl likes Christmas songs...nothing wrong with that. When he was 5 my oldest son's favorite Christmas song was the Dreidel song:

I have a little dreidel. I made it out of clay.
When it's dry and ready, with dreidel I shall play.
Oh dreidel, dreidel, dreidel, I made you out of clay.
Oh dreidel, dreidel, dreidel, with dreidel I shall play.

It has a lovely body, with leg so short and thin.
When it gets all tired, it drops and then I win!
Oh dreidel, dreidel, dreidel, with leg so short and thin.
Oh dreidel, dreidel, dreidel, it drops and then I win!

My dreidel's always playful. It loves to dance and spin.
A happy game of dreidel, come play now let's begin.
Oh dreidel, dreidel, dreidel, it loves to dance and spin.
Oh dreidel, dreidel, dreidel. Come play now let's begin.

I have a little dreidel. I made it out of clay.
When it's dry and ready, with dreidel I shall play.
Oh dreidel, dreidel, dreidel, I made you out of clay.
Oh dreidel, dreidel, dreidel, with dreidel I shall play.

Every year we still make dreidels along with the other ornaments and cookies.
LOL... oy, I miss my grandmother's Chanukah cookies. She's still alive (90 years young!), but lives across the country - maybe I'll ask her to make them when I visit for Thanksgiving? She makes these awesome cinnamon-sugar ones, with silver sprinkles for the Hebrew letters. Yum!! Have you ever played a real game of dreidel? We used to play a MEAN game with our cousins, using M&Ms for "gambling chips."

And since we're already straying off-topic (sorry guys!), I actually hate the dreidel song... I prefer "Rock of Ages / Ma'oz Tzur" or "The Chanukah Song" by Adam Sandler.

Old 10-31-2007, 10:00 AM

3,684 posts, read 11,794,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
LOL... oy, I miss my grandmother's Chanukah cookies. She's still alive (90 years young!), but lives across the country - maybe I'll ask her to make them when I visit for Thanksgiving? She makes these awesome cinnamon-sugar ones, with silver sprinkles for the Hebrew letters. Yum!! Have you ever played a real game of dreidel? We used to play a MEAN game with our cousins, using M&Ms for "gambling chips."

And since we're already straying off-topic (sorry guys!), I actually hate the dreidel song... I prefer "Rock of Ages / Ma'oz Tzur" or "The Chanukah Song" by Adam Sandler.
I am not sure if they play it right or not. But they have fun with it. They went to Montessori school when they were little and there they have a big focus on culture so they do ALL the holidays for everyone...always loved that about that school. There was another song he liked a lot, which always gets stuck in my head..."zum golly golly golly zum golly golly"...talk about oy!

Old 10-31-2007, 11:05 AM

1,250 posts, read 3,492,209 times
Anyone ever heard of the "Twisted Christmas" songs? They are my husband's favorites. They are traditional songs with the words changed. Some of them are hilarious. I love the 12 Days of Christmas with the guy getting madder and madder about putting up the Christmas lights. My other favorite is "The Restroom Door Said Gentlemen" (to the tune of God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen). Funny stuff.

(I can't get on You Tube here at work, but if someone else can find these and put the link on there, that would be great. They're definitely good for a laugh.)

Old 10-31-2007, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
I am not sure if they play it right or not. But they have fun with it. They went to Montessori school when they were little and there they have a big focus on culture so they do ALL the holidays for everyone...always loved that about that school. There was another song he liked a lot, which always gets stuck in my head..."zum golly golly golly zum golly golly"...talk about oy!
I'll second that OY - I hate that song! I don't even know the rest of the words, aside from the "zum golly golly" stuff. And maybe I'll post a "how to play dreidel" thread when we're closer to the holiday, if anyone's interested in learning?

Old 10-31-2007, 12:41 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,221,036 times
Smile O Holy Night ...the current leader...

Well, my personal fave O Holy Night is leading the pack at 28%! Who woulda thunk it???

Old 10-31-2007, 12:45 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,852,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Well, my personal fave O Holy Night is leading the pack at 28%! Who woulda thunk it???
<singin> "She'd been drinkin' too much egg nog.
And we'd begged her not to go.
But she'd forgot her medication,
and she staggered out the door into the snow. "

Old 10-31-2007, 12:52 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,221,036 times
Talking Nope, sorry....

Sorry Alpha, Grandma got run over by a reindeer did NOT make the cut!It was considered but "it" made me only choose 30!

Old 10-31-2007, 12:55 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,780,872 times
I voted for The First Noel.....

which my lovely children used to say "no 'L'" when they were younger
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity