Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 04:55 PM

3,494 posts, read 4,534,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
but remains evil in thoughts against God
Remains evil in thoughts against God? How so? Is it wrong to question some logic in God's decision as mentioned in the Bible?
I recommend you read 1 Peter 3:15. Instead of simply telling me that I have evil thoughts against God why not take a step back and provide answer using logic Peter said?

Quote:
and like you turn to atheistic religions like Buddhist which put God out of their belief and become a naturalism with no redemption from the dark spirit of this world who will rule over your life , because it puts God out , so God stays out
Does it mean that because Buddhism does not concentrate in God it is useless? Is there anything wrong with looking at your inner self and find ways to become a better person? I do not think even Jesus would disapprove of people meditating about life with the intent of becoming a better person.

Quote:
Because God is a gentle man who will not go where he is not welcome
I think you are wrong here. I suppose you need to read the Bible more closely. Even though I do not believe he is God or the Son of God I do now he WENT to those that rejected him and showed them what he believe is a good path to follow in life. Did he not ask Paul how come he was persecuting him?

Quote:
where He will only continue to keep the air in the earth pure to breathe, for people who reject Him and He will still bring rain to replenish the earth for the people who reject God to survive
Again, I think you are going to extremes by saying I reject God. I simply do not share some philosophical views that God as portrayed in the Bible are reflected. Care to explain those philosophical contradictions in a rational way as Peter suggested?

Quote:
But the dark spirit who inhabit the people who reject God they can have those dark spirit with no help from God as faith is needed to be free of these dark spirit ...
Again, I never said I rejected God. Sadly, replies like this is what often turn people off when the ask questions, express their inquiries about life, etc. Jesus had better approaches with people that question things. Maybe you need to look closely at his example of teaching those with spiritual needs. I do not question the sincerity of your message. I just do not agree with your delivery. Take care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2013, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Sadly, many feel the same sense of self-sufficiency. This is not due to ones actual ability to rise above a desperate need for true spiritual life or a real relationship with ones creator and god. It comes instead from ones inexcusable rebellion against GOd and truth (ROm 1:18-20) --- AND from self-deception about ones separation from God. (Rev 3:14-22).
In general terms I have the same reply I gave previously, rebellion? Did I say I am rebelling against God? I am simply asking questions. I suggest you also read 1 Peter 3:15 when explaining your views. Take care.

Old 04-15-2013, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
It is essentially a compendium of books that in overall view relate the history of one ethnic group's growing awareness of the nature of God. You are absolutely right that there are contradictions and trying to impose a unified theology on the book as a whole is kind of like herding cats. The development culminates in the life and ministry of Jesus and His followers..
Overall the Bible is a great book in my opinion. Jesus did have some great advice and provided ideas for a peaceful life I must say.

Quote:
As for morality, the basis is not laws or rules, but an attitude of concern for the well-being of others and how that is applied in everyday life..
I share this point.

Quote:
I can certainly understand a need to associate with people of like mind and share the spiritual direction you indicate.
I suppose as human being we do have this feeling of association but it is not to the point of affecting my life though. Take care.

Old 04-15-2013, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebeautyinlife View Post
I agree that the bible is full of contradictions and it has lead my as of late to question my faith (as well as other circumstances)
Even though I do not believe in the Bible from some philosophical angles I would not say it is "full of contradictions". I have done some research on the Bible and it is a pretty reliable book historically.

...this is what plagues me about the bible....it was translated from ancient Hebrew and other languages to what we now read today.....I, as would anyone that is of intelligence, be foolish to believe that there are parts of the bible that are "loosly" translated at best into the versions we have in Church today. When people dispute that all I can say is...do you read and understand ancient hebrew from b.c. times? man is involved in the translation and man is not perfect.
Again, you may want to see a video series called "Is the Bible reliable" by Stephen Meyers. I think you will be surprised how reliable is the Bible regarding translations. You may like to see it. It is amazing that despite the thousands of years involved in the writing of different books it does have a degree of congruence. Take care.

Old 04-15-2013, 07:02 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,756,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton;
Sadly, many feel the same sense of self-sufficiency. This is not due to ones actual ability to rise above a desperate need for true spiritual life or a real relationship with ones creator and god. It comes instead from ones ‘inexcusable rebellion’ against God and truth (Rom 1:18-20)- AND from self-deception about ones separation from God (Rev 3:14-22).
Quote:
Originally Posted by elamigo View Post
In general terms I have the same reply I gave previously, rebellion? Did I say I am rebelling against God? I am simply asking questions. I suggest you also read 1 Peter 3:15 when explaining your views. Take care.
Sorry, no offense intended ... and you did express some frequently asked questions. (Perhaps my response was too heavy-handed - and your reference to 1 Pet. 3:15 is applicable).

However, while you did not specifically use the word "rebellion," your questions, issues and feelings describe the rejection of God’s Word/Truth that you may not recognize as ‘rebellion' – but, which actually is (Re: my reference to Rom. 1:18-20). For example, you said:
-You recognize a Spiritual need, but, (like many) reject the Bible as ‘illogical’ and contradictory
-You consider the Bible and Buddhism equal paths to a good and happy life
- You only attend church with your wife to please her
- You believe that the God of the Bible contradicts Himself

Have you actually believed God and trusted in Jesus Christ as your personal Lord and Savior? (your post doesn't indicate that) --- If not, you are (by God's standard) among those who have “made God a liar because they have not believed His testimony about His Son” (1 John 5:10) – That’s rebellion!

Old 04-15-2013, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Sorry, no offense intended ... and you did express some frequently asked questions. (Perhaps my response was too heavy-handed - and your reference to 1 Pet. 3:15 is applicable).

However, while you did not specifically use the word "rebellion," your questions, issues and feelings describe the rejection of God’s Word/Truth that you may not recognize as ‘rebellion' – but, which actually is (Re: my reference to Rom. 1:18-20). For example, you said:
-You recognize a Spiritual need, but, (like many) reject the Bible as ‘illogical’ and contradictory
-You consider the Bible and Buddhism equal paths to a good and happy life
- You only attend church with your wife to please her
- You believe that the God of the Bible contradicts Himself

Have you actually believed God and trusted in Jesus Christ as your personal Lord and Savior? (your post doesn't indicate that) --- If not, you are (by God's standard) among those who have “made God a liar because they have not believed His testimony about His Son” (1 John 5:10) – That’s rebellion!
I am not going to get pulled in a spin of your part. If you want to call my inquiring a rebellion, your prerogative. I do not see it that way. Inquiring is trying to find questions to answers, not rebellion but I will not convince you of that so I'll leave it at that. Take care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity