Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2007, 03:42 PM

436 posts, read 1,174,008 times

Advertisements

Mea maxima culpa - my most grievous fault. If I may, please allow me to swim in the depths of the heart. What is living a holy and sanctified life as a christian? Is it possible? We are flawed beings, with our sin forever in our face, inspite the high and holy calling on ourlives. The bible says through Christ we are dead to sin.... what does this mean? That we are without sin once we convert to christianity? But even great men of God are not completely without sin, so what does this mean? It appears to me that while I am alive in this world I will always carry a little bit of ferment in me, my most grievous fault, me, and maybe this is all I can be and give.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2007, 03:51 PM

3,434 posts, read 9,742,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothylogan3 View Post
Mea maxima culpa - my most grievous fault. If I may, please allow me to swim in the depths of the heart. What is living a holy and sanctified life as a christian? Is it possible? We are flawed beings, with our sin forever in our face, inspite the high and holy calling on ourlives. The bible says through Christ we are dead to sin.... what does this mean? That we are without sin once we convert to christianity? But even great men of God are not completely without sin, so what does this mean? It appears to me that while I am alive in this world I will always carry a little bit of ferment in me, my most grievous fault, me, and maybe this is all I can be and give.
It means that Christ paid for our sin (past and present) on the cross..does that mean that we wont still sin? no..But it does mean that Jesus is faithful and just to forgive us of our sins..he doesnt remember them any more..as far as the east is to the west..and thats a might long ways my friend! We all struggle with the sin that we commited before we accepted Christ, and we all struggle with sin now..I think to know we are sinners and never forget that its not us, but Christ...and that I will always be a "man in need of a savior".

Take the sin that bothers you, from the past, and lay it at the feet of Jesus. He paid a high price so that way it wouldnt trouble you anymore

Old 10-29-2007, 03:53 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,263,159 times
The Bible says in 1 John (of believers) that if we say we are without sin we are liars and the truth is not in us. It also exhorts us NOT to sin but says that if we do, we have an advocate, Jesus.

Old 10-29-2007, 06:35 PM

2,886 posts, read 8,280,229 times
Quote:
Quote:
What is living a holy and sanctified life as a christian? Is it possible? We are flawed beings, with our sin forever in our face, inspite the high and holy calling on ourlives.

I can live because of the Blood of Jesus, a holy and sanctified life (set apart) The Lord is my righteousness, that keeps me in right standing with Our Father, I don't have to feel that I fallen short in any areas because He left us a "Comforter" for all of my shortcomings, "His Grace and Mercy "Jesus has" foot the bill"and He and He's already paid for my order. I can do nothing apart from Him; or I will feel like a failure.
"What a friend we have in Jesus"
All our sins and grieves to bear;
What a privilege to carry'
Everything to God in prayer"

Oh what peace we often forfeit
Oh, what needless pain we bear
All because we do not carry
Everything to God in prayer.

Can we find a friend so faithful
Whom through all our sorrows share( Not sure if these are the right lyrics) but still good
Jesus knows our every weakness
Take it to the Lord in prayer

Last edited by yhwhshalomjr; 10-29-2007 at 06:44 PM..

Old 10-29-2007, 07:54 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,333,090 times
I know I require more grace than most people.
And it makes me more grateful than most people.

Old 10-29-2007, 11:09 PM

436 posts, read 1,174,008 times
okay - theoratically - i am save and sanctified by christ and his work on calvary. on the practical side - my life is supposed to change, i become a new creature. the bible say i deny myself, i should sin no more. the reality - most christians do not live to these standards set for them - they are as bad is the rest of world when it comes to how the lead their lives. is this holliness ? that christ has paid the price, so its okay to live in sin?

Old 10-30-2007, 10:38 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,263,159 times
Quote:
okay - theoratically - i am save and sanctified by christ and his work on calvary. on the practical side - my life is supposed to change, i become a new creature. the bible say i deny myself, i should sin no more. the reality - most christians do not live to these standards set for them - they are as bad is the rest of world when it comes to how the lead their lives. is this holliness ? that christ has paid the price, so its okay to live in sin?
I think maybe you are responding to Oakback, but I just think of the part in Romans where Paul asks the rhetorical question about should we keep on sinning that grace may abound. And of course, his answer is "God forbid!" Romans 6:1-2 KJV

Old 10-30-2007, 10:48 AM

1,250 posts, read 3,500,502 times
Quote:
IMO, we are saved by Christ and his work on calvary. Sanctification is a life-long process that will only be completed when we enter into Heaven. There is no human on this earth who is capable of living a sinless life. If it were possible, there would have been other options for a sacrifice other than Jesus. But Jesus was the only sinless person to walk this earth and it was necessary for him to be our sacrifice.

Yes, when we give our life over, there is a change. We are a new creature. The Bible says to not "live in sin". I think there is a difference between habitually giving in to sin and slipping from time to time. If you gave your life to Christ, but are content to continue living the way you did before, then I question your commitment and salvation. However, if you gave your life to Christ and are continually making improvements in your behavior and actions as the Holy Spirit convicts and makes you aware of imperfections, then I think you are on the right track. Even Paul says that he found himself doing things he ought not do. But he "beat his body into submission". When we find ourselves committing sin, we need to do as Paul did and control that sinful urge. We are all works in progress.

Old 10-30-2007, 10:56 AM

3,086 posts, read 6,270,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
I know I require more grace than most people.
And it makes me more grateful than most people.
I know how you feel.. and I think that's a good place to be! In one of His parables, Jesus said "whom much is forgiven, the same loves much." We've all been forgiven much.. but I think if we actually see that, then that makes our love to Christ greater..If we start thinking that we're pretty good, that reflects on our love to God, IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dojilynn View Post
IMO, we are saved by Christ and his work on calvary. Sanctification is a life-long process that will only be completed when we enter into Heaven. There is no human on this earth who is capable of living a sinless life. If it were possible, there would have been other options for a sacrifice other than Jesus. But Jesus was the only sinless person to walk this earth and it was necessary for him to be our sacrifice.

Yes, when we give our life over, there is a change. We are a new creature. The Bible says to not "live in sin". I think there is a difference between habitually giving in to sin and slipping from time to time. If you gave your life to Christ, but are content to continue living the way you did before, then I question your commitment and salvation. However, if you gave your life to Christ and are continually making improvements in your behavior and actions as the Holy Spirit convicts and makes you aware of imperfections, then I think you are on the right track. Even Paul says that he found himself doing things he ought not do. But he "beat his body into submission". When we find ourselves committing sin, we need to do as Paul did and control that sinful urge. We are all works in progress.
Exactly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity