Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 08:34 PM

1,177 posts, read 4,155,258 times

Advertisements

Who were the spouses of Adam and Eve's children and where did they come from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2007, 08:54 PM

128 posts, read 408,976 times
They were all brothers and sisters.

Old 10-27-2007, 09:34 PM

1,177 posts, read 4,155,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianR View Post
They were all brothers and sisters.
Since incest is considered a sin today, at what point and where in the bible did incest change from being acceptable to becoming a sin?

Old 10-27-2007, 09:46 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,500,581 times
Mams had a wonderful thought provoking post about Adam and Eves sons and daughters marring each other..Anybody else remember this?...I will try my best to find it.. It is worth bringing up to this thread..It keeps popping into my mind everytime this subject comes up..

Old 10-27-2007, 09:49 PM

1,396 posts, read 1,188,236 times
Try this site it has a good explanation about the children of Adam and Eve.http://www.creationontheweb.com/imag...k/chapter8.pdf

Old 10-27-2007, 10:55 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,333,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbone View Post
Who were the spouses of Adam and Eve's children and where did they come from?
This is one of the oldest trick questions around, designed only to create havoc among literalists.
I hope that is not your intention.

Old 10-27-2007, 11:15 PM

2,180 posts, read 5,420,180 times
I don't consider it a trick question. I've wondered about it myself.

It seems that at one time incest was permitted - and according to Christian reasoning, it was because back then the gene pool was more pure, and there was little if any chance of mutations resulting in a child that would be conceived as a result of sex between close relatives. The Christian reasoning goes on to state that God must have outlawed it when it became apparent there would be mutations that resulted due to the gene pool becoming "more diluted".

So if that is the case, my question would be whether or not it was something that actually became "immoral" - or was it simply outlawed for biological/scientific reasons? And if that is the case, what other laws were instituted for purely "practical" reasons involving biology/science, but not necessarily because the actions being outlawed were immoral in any sense?

Old 10-28-2007, 07:19 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,175,023 times
Of course, there is always that possibility that there were other beings around that they could breed to. The Breath of Life, may have been only the ability to think or talk.

You see, one thing the Bible doesn't explain is if Adam and his bunch were the only ones, who where the people in the land where Cain was sent? He even married one of them.

Those people "knew" God, because when He spoke to them to tell them to leave Cain alone, they understood and did as they were told. Nothing is said about Cain going to live among other brothers and sisters.

Old 10-28-2007, 08:11 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,500,581 times
Ithink it is likely that God created people all over the earth in the beginning...Possibly the story of Adam and Eve being the only people in the Garden of Eden is because God set them apart, by themselves to keep the lineage of Christ pure..Sin entered paradise, anyway..So Adam and Eve were sent out into the world where satan already ruled...Adam and Eves children (Cain, Abel, Seth and others) were born in the world that already was populated and already sinful, because satan roamed the earth at his will....I believe there were plenty of men and women for the offspring of Adam and Eve..

Old 10-28-2007, 09:00 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,620,387 times
Cain lamented that he would be a fugitive, a vagabond, and "that everyone that findeth me shall slay me", (Genesis 4:14). So, unless Adam and Eve had been extremely busy, shall we say, then the assumption would have to be that there were other people in the world, other than the First Couple, and their offspring.

Scripture says that Cain knew his wife. It doesn't specify as to whether his wife could have been a sister, that he took with him, when he went to the land of Nod, or if he "procured" her after the fact. And, Seth doesn't even have the word, "wife" attached to his name, although he's said to have begat Enos, and other sons and daughters, so unless they knew something we don't about "begetting", we have to presume that there was a Mrs. Seth, although whether she was a sister or not, isn't brought up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity