U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 06:45 PM

3,684 posts, read 10,985,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
I'm of the opinion that anyone who wants to celebrate love, generosity, joy,
family, or any of the virtues that the Christmas Holiday supports, go for it.

I'm afraid though that the message is getting lost in the secular traditions.Too many visions of sugar plums, and not enough of Jesus Christ.
It can be combined quite nicely if you try.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2007, 06:59 PM

3,540 posts, read 6,071,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
It can be combined quite nicely if you try.

Nice.
Does Santa's head light up and blink while playing momma got run over by a reindeer?

Old 10-30-2007, 07:04 PM

8 posts, read 17,796 times
I'm not offended in the least. You have a giving heart and your celebrating it. That's a welcome in this day and age!

Old 10-30-2007, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
Nice.
Does Santa's head light up and blink while playing momma got run over by a reindeer?
No but when you wind his butt up it plays "O Holy Night".

Old 10-30-2007, 07:33 PM

21,624 posts, read 30,198,363 times
I am a Christian and no it does not offend me if an atheist celebrates Christmas, I think there are many Christians who leave Jesus out of their Christmas celebration too.

Old 10-30-2007, 07:42 PM

10,732 posts, read 31,736,416 times
Why would it offend a Christian that Atheists celebrate Christmas? Most of the trappings of Christmas are Pagan anyway. Why don't you ask Pagans if it offends them?

Old 10-30-2007, 08:57 PM

29,041 posts, read 44,938,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
no..why would it? Maybe if more did or at least respected the holiday, we could still have all of our Christmas music back in the malls like we did when I was a kid.
I'm confused... they still play PLENTY of Christmas music in our malls, to the point where it even annoys the Christmas-celebrators. And I'm about as far from the "Bible Belt" as one can get! Sorry, but I'm still perplexed about this supposed diminishing of Christmas you all complain about, since I haven't seen any evidence here in Atheist-dominated California.

P.S. What do you mean by "if more people respected the holiday?" What exactly do you expect us (non-Christians) to do, and how have you respected Jewish or Muslim holidays lately? I'm asking that seriously...

Old 10-30-2007, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I'm confused... they still play PLENTY of Christmas music in our malls, to the point where it even annoys the Christmas-celebrators. And I'm about as far from the "Bible Belt" as one can get! Sorry, but I'm still perplexed about this supposed diminishing of Christmas you all complain about, since I haven't seen any evidence here in Atheist-dominated California.
There really is a difference and it may just be that where you are located it's not as bad. But here they did away with all the Christmas decorations in the mall...no Santa's workshop, no pictures with Santa, no religious themed Christmas music...the only thing that even makes it seem more Christmas is a triangle tower of poinsettas in the middle of the food court...a poor substitution for a Christmas tree if you ask me. Thankfully there is a Macy's and one can walk through their Christmas department for a full dose of Holiday spirit when needed.

Now my kids go to Catholic school so there is plenty of Christmas there, but the public schools can't have anything, from any holiday not just Christian, displayed or it's considered biased. So that is sad also. But my kids never went to public school so it doesn't really affect me personally, I just still think it's sad. Also at the hospital we aren't allowed to put up our trees and decorations anymore either except for "Season's Greetings" or "Happy Holidays"...nothing that is specific to anything. So of course I have all these Santa, Nativity, Christmas scrubs that I wear along with my jingle bell earrings and such from December 1st on...I am a walking decoration.

Old 10-30-2007, 09:15 PM

29,041 posts, read 44,938,521 times
Btw, I think God was mad at me for that post... we had a 5.6 earthquake about 1 minute after I posted that. Weeeehawww!! Ah, life on a major fault is fun...

Old 10-30-2007, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Btw, I think God was mad at me for that post... we had a 5.6 earthquake about 1 minute after I posted that. Weeeehawww!! Ah, life on a major fault is fun...
Wooops! I'm sure it was just a coincidence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity