Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 09:34 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
Wooops! I'm sure it was just a coincidence.
LOL... yeah, sure it was. Now we're waiting for aftershocks, which are common when it's above a 5.0!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2007, 08:17 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,147,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I'm confused... they still play PLENTY of Christmas music in our malls, to the point where it even annoys the Christmas-celebrators. And I'm about as far from the "Bible Belt" as one can get! Sorry, but I'm still perplexed about this supposed diminishing of Christmas you all complain about, since I haven't seen any evidence here in Atheist-dominated California.

P.S. What do you mean by "if more people respected the holiday?" What exactly do you expect us (non-Christians) to do, and how have you respected Jewish or Muslim holidays lately? I'm asking that seriously...
Good question. Why is it only the Christian holidays that must be "respected"?

Old 10-31-2007, 08:28 AM

3,885 posts, read 8,121,785 times
Celebrate away!

Old 10-31-2007, 09:04 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,754,940 times
Quote:
I'm confused... they still play PLENTY of Christmas music in our malls, to the point where it even annoys the Christmas-celebrators. And I'm about as far from the "Bible Belt" as one can get! Sorry, but I'm still perplexed about this supposed diminishing of Christmas you all complain about, since I haven't seen any evidence here in Atheist-dominated California.

P.S. What do you mean by "if more people respected the holiday?" What exactly do you expect us (non-Christians) to do, and how have you respected Jewish or Muslim holidays lately? I'm asking that seriously...
Well I live here in the Bible belt and the elementary school cannot have a Christmas Party. It's called a "winter celebration". Christmas
is not discussed, but the meaning of Hannukah is. Go figure.

And if I lived in a predominantly Muslim or Jewish country, I most certainly would respect their traditions.

But to answer the op, do not mind at all!

Old 10-31-2007, 09:07 AM

2,957 posts, read 7,383,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
Good question. Why is it only the Christian holidays that must be "respected"?
Very valid question.
My celebration of Christmas, however, is not because I "respect" the holiday.
In fact, since I'm an atheist, I philosophically "disrespect" it, right?
Yet I still celebrate it.
That's why I ask if I offend Christians by doing so.

I suppose I would ask Jews the same question if I was raised Jewish, rejected Judaism, and then continued to celebrate Hannakuh.

Old 10-31-2007, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Charlotte View Post
Well I live here in the Bible belt and the elementary school cannot have a Christmas Party. It's called a "winter celebration". Christmas
is not discussed, but the meaning of Hannukah is. Go figure.
Maybe that's because you already KNOW the meaning of Christmas, especially considering you live in the Bible-Belt... I'm assuming most parents there discuss & celebrate Christmas, but mostly forget other holidays and religions even exist. That being said, I don't know why you can't call it a Christmas party, unless you are acknowledging other celebrations - in which case it's only appropriate and linguistically-correct to call it a Holiday/Winter party. However, I maintain the fact that Christmas is still alive and well here in San Francisco, a predominantly NON-Christian city! So I don't know who's in charge where you live, but it seems our respective leaders are a bit mixed-up.

Quote:
And if I lived in a predominantly Muslim or Jewish country, I most certainly would respect their traditions.
How so? I've been to Israel, and highly doubt they would care if or how you "respected" their holidays... in fact, it would be rather insulting if you tried to observe them alongside the Jewish people. You would be free to celebrate Christmas and Easter, at least in the Jewish nation (can't speak for others), and they probably have decorations for both holidays in the cities. But last time I checked, the U.S. doesn't have an official religion, so nobody can declare themselves more important or "worthy" of respect from others.

P.S. If by respect, you simply mean not to insult or defile the holiday, of course I agree with that... it would be wrong to treat ANY religious holiday/tradition that way, regardless of what country you're in at the time. But as I've said every year, I still don't understand how the word Holiday is insulting or disrespectful - isn't Christmas a holiday too???

Last edited by gizmo980; 10-31-2007 at 09:22 AM..

Old 10-31-2007, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
Very valid question.
My celebration of Christmas, however, is not because I "respect" the holiday.
In fact, since I'm an atheist, I philosophically "disrespect" it, right?
Yet I still celebrate it.
That's why I ask if I offend Christians by doing so.

I suppose I would ask Jews the same question if I was raised Jewish, rejected Judaism, and then continued to celebrate Hannakuh.
For what it's worth, I personally wouldn't care if you celebrated Chanukah, especially if you were born/raised a Jew... my brother has renounced all religious ties, but still happily accepts our Chanukah gifts and treats, LOL. It's a fairly unimportant holiday anyway (despite what some people think), so my answer might be different if you were asking about Yom Kippur. But who'd want to celebrate that if they weren't a practicing Jew??

Old 10-31-2007, 09:54 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,754,940 times
Quote:

How so? I've been to Israel, and highly doubt they would care if or how you "respected" their holidays... in fact, it would be rather insulting if you tried to observe them alongside the Jewish people. You would be free to celebrate Christmas and Easter, at least in the Jewish nation (can't speak for others), and they probably have decorations for both holidays in the cities. But last time I checked, the U.S. doesn't have an official religion, so nobody can declare themselves more important or "worthy" of respect from others.
By respect, I don't mean observing their sacred holidays alongside other Jews or Muslims. I mean not expecting Christmas to have equal meaning (to the majority who live their) in a Jewish or Muslim country. By respect, I mean not trying to change the wording of these holidays that are a real part of their culture and history.

Old 10-31-2007, 10:13 AM

2,957 posts, read 7,383,675 times
Quote:
By respect, I don't mean observing their sacred holidays alongside other Jews or Muslims. I mean not expecting Christmas to have equal meaning (to the majority who live their) in a Jewish or Muslim country. By respect, I mean not trying to change the wording of these holidays that are a real part of their culture and history.
Huh?
How about some examples of what you mean by "respect" - I still don't get it.
But it looks like you want the US to acknowledge that Christians rule by majority and that, therefore, Christian traditions should be paramount in the US.
Am I close? If so, that's not respect.

Old 10-31-2007, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Bottom line, nobody expects another holiday to be "equal" to Christmas, since it's the most widely celebrated... but where's the harm in including a few others, with simple gestures such as an all-inclusive greeting? I could understand complaints if we forbid personal celebrations, decorations, and told you not to wear a Christmas sweater - but aside from that, I can't offer much more from my end! The catalogs and stores are still full of Christmas stuff, and I'm totally fine with that... even if the Chanukah supplies consist of a few ugly trinkets on half a shelf, which is usually the case. We accept our place in this country, but every so often it's nice to NOT be reminded of our "minority status." Sorry if that's inconvenient or offensive to some people...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity