U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 01:21 PM

2,955 posts, read 6,733,397 times

Advertisements

I have a question for Christians. First, some backstory:

I am an atheist who celebrates Christmas.
I have no logical/rational reason for doing so - I just do.
I suppose if I were a "good atheist" I would ignore the tradition, but I have celebrated Christmas each year of my life and I don't intend to stop.
To me it is a family tradition and I like giving/receiving gifts. It's also a great, rewarding time of year to give used items away to charity.
This does not mean that I worship God or Jesus once a year, although I will occasionally go to church with my parents or in-laws.

Now for my question:

Does it offend Christians if an atheist celebrates Christmas?
Why or why not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2007, 01:27 PM

3,434 posts, read 8,927,644 times
no..why would it? Maybe if more did or at least respected the holiday, we could still have all of our Christmas music back in the malls like we did when I was a kid.

Old 10-30-2007, 01:28 PM

8,668 posts, read 20,277,776 times
It doesn't offend me. Whether you intend to do so or not, I see it as Christ-honoring in an indirect, inadvertent way and I can't argue with that. Maybe that offends you...?

Old 10-30-2007, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Whether you intend to do so or not, I see it as Christ-honoring in an indirect, inadvertent way and I can't argue with that. Maybe that offends you...?
Not at all - I'm the one is "betraying my own kind" here - so I've gotta take the good with the bad.

Old 10-30-2007, 01:34 PM

2,800 posts, read 9,261,898 times
Plenty of Christians celebrate Halloween and that definitely isn't a "Christian" holiday.

I think any holiday that is celebrated as a "family" and has good values and plenty of love linked to it is ALL GOOD!

While I can see that some Christians may see it as an oxymoron for an atheist to celebrate a Christian Holiday, I think it would be ridiculous and petty to look down upon it.

That being said, if an atheist IS going to celebrate our Christian holiday, it would be nice if the atheists would back off a bit on trying to take so much Christ out of it. It goes without saying that CHRISTmas IS a CHRISTian holiday, therefore it only seems appropriate that we will want CHRIST involved in the holiday!

Old 10-30-2007, 01:38 PM

51,770 posts, read 29,832,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
Why or why not?
It wouldn't offend me at all.

Old 10-30-2007, 01:38 PM

3,698 posts, read 10,199,973 times
Heck, it offends me that most Christians don't recognize and honor Advent.

Celebrate away, my atheist friend. That sense of camaraderie and family closeness and the excitement about giving might yet give you an idea of what we believe!

Old 10-30-2007, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean98125 View Post
Celebrate away, my atheist friend. That sense of camaraderie and family closeness and the excitement about giving might yet give you an idea of what we believe!
Well, I was raised in a loving, devoutly Christian home so I like to think I know something about Christian beliefs.

Old 10-30-2007, 01:42 PM
AT9

691 posts, read 1,039,982 times
No, it doesn't bother me...you aren't really celebrating "Christmas", your celebrating the Christmas season (Santa, presents, the tree, etc....). It's all stuff that I celecrate as well, I just celebrate the birth of Christ as the whole meaning behind it, whereas it is a traditional thing to you. It's like Christians (or whoever) celebrating Halloween by watching scary movies or going trick or treating, we don't celebrate Halloween, we celebrate the candy and costumes.

The only time I'm offended is in the rare case that people are told they can't put up a Nativity sceen or store clerks told they can't say "Merry Christmas" to customers.

Old 10-30-2007, 01:43 PM

51,770 posts, read 29,832,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
Why or why not?
It wouldn't offend me at all. I would only be offended if somebody like Michael Newdow or the ACLU wanted to take Christmas out completely. I will be the first in line to stand up against them and tell them to go jump in the lake!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity