U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-01-2007, 12:50 AM

740 posts, read 1,330,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
Ok I'll stop thinking about it...but I don't like to be unsure. You know I'm a control freak and all.

I know that I am going to be unpopular for saying this... but this is something that you might want to give some thought. Although Blue makes a valid, well stated point about this only being a hypothetical question... I think that it is something that the bible calls us to consider.

This verse is taken somewhat out of context for what we are discussing, but it is relevant when we are talking about choosing our children over the Lord. Remembering the story of Abraham and Isaac. If Abraham had not trusted that the Lord was sovereign and knew what was best, he would not have offered up his only son whom the Lord had given him in his old age. Abraham knew that Isaac was not his, but he belonged to the Lord. Because of this the Lord greatly blessed them both and eventually us all bringing the Lord Jesus Christ thru this line.

Mt 10:37 -
"He who loves father or mother more than Me is not worthy of Me; and he who loves son or daughter more than Me is not worthy of Me.

Irish, if this is something that you are struggling with (something that is bothering you, it is bothering you for a reason), it should be something you are in prayer over.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2007, 01:28 AM

740 posts, read 1,330,661 times
That sounded harsh.. and you know that is not how I meant it... a more personal example. You know what was going on with my only daughter... I could have choosen to condone or accept her actions to save the relationship. But I knew that no matter how bad it hurt me at the time... that God was doing a work in her life and that I had to stand up for what I belived in. And although we didn't talk for months... my trust in the Lord was blessed when she decided that she wanted to move back home and do things right. I am not saying I am a saint... far from it. Because even though I knew he was doing a work in her life the same as he had done in mine years ago, it still almost drove me insane. My children have always been my life. I love them and have always had a great relationship with all of them... I think that I was being tested on my trust in Him.. I have been blessed with my having my daughter back home. And a relationship restored..

Old 11-21-2007, 08:44 AM

479 posts, read 757,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
This thought came up from the "If Jesus Christ was here, next to you what would you say to him?" thread from Noland's reply:

I really don't think I feel that way. I am anchored here to my children and wouldn't want to leave them for anything. I would beg and plead to stay here to care for them. So what does that say about me? I don't know, but it is how I feel.

What if Jesus was here and asked if you wanted to come with him back to heaven right now? Is there anything that would make you say no?
That's an excellent question Irish and I appreciate your honesty with it. It makes me think of these particular verses -

Ephesians 5:29-5:32
For no man ever yet hated his own flesh; but nourisheth and cherisheth it, even as the Lord the church: For we are members of his body, of his flesh, and of his bones. For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh. This is a great mystery: but I speak concerning Christ and the church.

So like a husband to a wife, when we are betrothed to the Lord - we are to leave the things of this world behind, and be of one flesh/spirit with him just as a husband is to a wife(or wife to husband) But at the same time we are still to demonstrate love to those who are our familiy members here. Paul goes on to support this this with the following verses -

Ephesians 5:33 - 6:4
Nevertheless, each individual among you also is to love his own wife even as himself, and the wife must see to it that she respects her husband. Children, obey your parents in the Lord: for this is right. Honour thy father and mother; which is the first commandment with promise; That it may be well with thee, and thou mayest live long on the earth. And, ye fathers, provoke not your children to wrath: but bring them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord.

So to answer your question - you are definitely following the Lord and are doing his will in wanting to provide for your children and take care of them, as that is what the Lord has put you in their lives to do. Just remember though that your first obligation is to your new family/marriage in Christ. As we grow in faith and Love for the Lord - we should entrust him in all things, so if he does call us away from our earthly families and such questions arise regarding our prior families needs - we'll have full faith and confidence in him knowing that all of their needs will be provided for, seeing as how it was him who put us in the situation to take care of and attend to the needs to begin with. Hope this helps you.

In Christ,

Stephen

Edit:

On a personal note - my answer to the original question would probably have been the same as yours. I think(or at least I hope) that at this juncture in my life I would be willing to give up much, - with the hope that he would provide for and take care of those whom I loved.

Old 11-21-2007, 02:45 PM

1,291 posts, read 2,054,691 times
I don't think there is a person here who would not admit to being somewhat hesitant about leaving their family because it would be difficult in a lot of ways. As a couple of posters indicated though, we do have to put Christ first. That being said, I know without a doubt that HE knows how much we love our family and would/will be there to comfort, guide and bring peace to them if such an occurance played out because He loves them even more than we do. As difficult a scenario, think about the future. One day we will be with Him and we will be with our loved ones again also, although not as our earthly family was but better. We will be together to worship, glorify and honor Him for all eternity and live an unfettered, healthy eternity, never to die again. I could go on but we know what awaits us and that alone should help to put any fears to rest. Those of us who know the Lord and our loved ones have that promise and what a glorious promise it is. God bless and have a wonderful holiday.

Old 11-21-2007, 04:21 PM

2,141 posts, read 5,409,462 times
I wouldn't go. I like it here right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity