U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 08:12 PM

27,998 posts, read 46,395,848 times

Advertisements

In the moment of mayhem or in an instant of exquisite fear, people often report being comforted by an invisible companion, what some call a "guardian angel."

But who is the guardian angel?

Do Guardian Angels Exist? Investigating Our Invisible Companions - ABC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2013, 10:11 PM

5,965 posts, read 5,573,110 times
I do believe they exist, not because I can see them, but because of the scriptures that speak of them:

"But Jesus said, Suffer little children, and forbid them not, to come unto me: for of such is the kingdom of heaven." - Matthew 19:14

"Take heed that ye despise not one of these little ones; for I say unto you, That in heaven their angels do always behold the face of my Father which is in heaven." - Matthew 18:10

"Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares." - Hebrews 13: 2

It was an angel of the Lord who told Mary that she would conceive a child in her womb by the divine will of the Holy Spirit. It was angels who announced that the Lord Jesus would be born in a manger. It was angels who warned Joseph in a dream to flee into Egypt: And when they were departed, behold, the angel of the Lord appeared to Joseph in a dream, saying, Arise, and take the young child and his mother, and flee into Egypt, and be thou there until I bring thee word: for Herod will seek the young child to destroy him. - Matthew 2:13

There are a lot of angelic visions in the scriptures. I certainly do believe there are angels all around us. But I've never captured one on camera nor do I need to see them with my natural eyes to believe they are real. There are a lot of beings in this world that I have never seen with my natural eyes who I believe are real. Ever thought about that. For instance I have close spiritual friends whom I have never met face to face and of whom I have never seen an image of - no photograph, nor do I know their actual earthly name. And yet they are more real to me than most of the people who live in my own city! That's rather astonishing, isn't it? There are people whose presence I can feel without ever laying eyes on them and people I know more deeply whom I have never physically touched. I am thinking of several people right now who would be the first people I would turn to in a spiritual crisis. Perhaps they are like angels.

Old 04-28-2013, 03:40 AM

7,864 posts, read 6,673,377 times
See the Lord Jesus has Great Hope that everyone will come and repent and turn to Christ , that it is sin for Christians to reject sinners and neighbors and even enemies that come their way, and turn they away and condemn them ....... So then with this Great Hope Lord Jesus has dispatched Holy Angels of Heaven to listen and report any and all people who repent to the Lord and are turning to Jesus with their prayers to God ....... I even remember before I converted to Lord Jesus , I heard a voice in the spirit , after I repented in prayers to Jesus saying ` I am going to excel your case `.......... Then there are the fallen angels of the earth who will claim people and hold curses against their will and protect the sin and hold it on their lives the best way they can , along with the help of demon spirits who can move inside the body of people , fallen angel of the world , and Holy Angels of the Lord are not compatible to move inside people and if they do this pain for people can happen

Old 05-02-2013, 12:53 AM

5,965 posts, read 5,573,110 times
I had hoped more people would join in this discussion about angels.

Old 05-02-2013, 09:19 AM

8,250 posts, read 10,017,245 times
'Angels' are beings created by God, who act as God's messengers. Some 'fallen angels' actually fall into the demon category ... while others seem to have a heavenly 'rank' or 'degree' (eg; archangel, Seraphim, Cherubim, etc). The Bible vaguely references angels designated to 'watch over' children (Matt 18, 19), but, this does not appear to be a general 'class' of "guardian angel" that follows people throughout life.

On the contrary, Jesus, Himself, is with believers 'always' in the person of the indwelling Holy Spirit. GOD's Holy Spirit guides, leads, guards the believer's heart and mind, calls things to our remembrance, empowers us with Spiritual gifts, produces Spiritual fruit...and a host of other things. God watches over us through Christ Jesus and the Holy Spirit. There doesn't seem to be any compelling evidence in scripture of 'guardian angels' -- Even in Revelation, the 144K left on earth are 'sealed in their foreheads', not 'guarded' by angels. Plus, it seems unclear how/why the role of a 'guardian angel' would somehow supplement or even replace the role of Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit.

We are actually cautioned to 'watch out' for those 'masquerading as angels of light' and told that if 'even an angel appears with a message that differs from the Gospel of Christ' ... it is still a lie. Satan and his demons are part of an unseen Spiritual world that 'battles against' God's angels (OT) - and against which we battle in Spiritual warfare (NT).

Our allegiance and devotion must be focused on God, Christ Jesus and God's Holy Spirit, and not divided among 'angels' or other potential demonic spiritual beings ... lest we be deceived by the devices of the enemy. Whenever anyone attempted to worship one of God's angels, they were told to 'worship God alone, not angels.' Therefore, even if “God’s angels do somehow watch over us,” even they worship and praise God and Christ alone … and desire for us to do likewise -- and NOT to focus on them.

Old 05-02-2013, 09:41 AM

12,710 posts, read 10,765,304 times
Do they exist? Yes.

Sorry, really not much for me to discuss.
You guys are covering it well.
Focus on God, tho.

Old 05-02-2013, 11:28 AM

15,727 posts, read 9,121,563 times
While I know it's claimed humans are above the angels, I do wonder if some people are bestowed with some type of "Guardian Angel" role in life. Almost like a hybrid of humans and angels. (If anyone has seen the movie Constantine, they are called half-breeds - part angel, part human).

I've always felt like I fit into that sort of mold, metaphorically perhaps if not in reality. Just the way my thoughts work, my high morality, etc. I frequently have what I've called "Guardian Angel" dreams where I jump in front of bullets for friends or heal them from injury/sickness. People have even given me the nickname "Angel" before.

Obviously I have no supernatural gifts from G-d, but I have always felt different and can't fit in with other people in the metaphysical sense.

Old 05-02-2013, 12:27 PM

19,952 posts, read 12,981,273 times
Yes. God does order angels to watch over people and care for them. We see it throughout scripture. But I'm not aware of any passage that indicates that every Christian has 1 or more special angels to do nothing but guard them.

Old 05-02-2013, 01:41 PM

17,770 posts, read 8,892,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
I had hoped more people would join in this discussion about angels.
I do not see them as separate entities; but true and false messengers.
Some are held in the chains of darkness or that of their own minds.

Old 05-06-2013, 04:25 AM

48 posts, read 67,358 times
I believe that I seen one when I was around 8 years old.

I had a hard time learning things growing up. I remember trying to do the same things as other kids in school but couldn't. After that night my understanding increased exponentially!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or