Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 12:35 PM

3,153 posts, read 3,406,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckd83 View Post
That must have come from Matt. 25:47 or Rom. 9:22b or 2 Thess. 1:9b. One key piece of information left off.
Greek scholar William Barclay wrote concerning kolasis aionion (age-during corrective chastisement) in Matthew 25:46
"The Greek word for punishment is kolasis, which was not originally an ethical word at all. It originally meant the pruning of trees to make them grow better. There is no instance in Greek secular literature where kolasis does not mean remedial punishment. It is a simple fact that in Greek kolasis always means remedial punishment. God's punishment is always for man's cure."

See what other Greek scholars say about it too.

AN ANALYTICAL STUDY OF WORDS – Louis Abbott
http://www.tentmaker.org/books/asw/Chapter11.html

Fifteen literally translated (not interpretively translated) Bibles that reveal what God will do with the sinners in Matthew 25:46
Concordant Literal, Young’s literal, Wilson’s Emphatic Diaglott, Rotherham’s Emphasized, Scarlett’s, J.W. Hanson’s New Covenant, Twentieth Century, Ferrar Fenton, The Western New Testament, Weymouth’s (unedited), Clementson’s, The New Testament of our Lord and Savior Jesus Anointed, The Restoration of Original Sacred Name Bible, Bullinger’s Companion Bible margins, Jonathan Mitchell’s translation (2010).

Regarding the meaning of aionios
Dean Hough wrote “The definition given in THE VOCABULARY OF THE GREEK TESTAMENT (edited by James Hope Moulton and George Milligan) is helpful. Concerning aionios we read, “In general, the word depicts that of which the horizon is not in view . . .” (p.16). If the horizon of the extermination spoken of by Paul in 2 Thessalonians 1:9 is simply not in view, then we can see that what Paul says in 1 Corinthians 15:22 can truly occur. The same all who are dying in Adam, which includes some who incur eonian extermination, can indeed eventually be vivified in Christ.
The Bible, in fact, does not speak of judgment and condemnation, death and destruction, hades and Gehenna, or any of these serious consequences of sin, as unending. It may refer to them as not having the end in view, but none of these fearful works of God can keep Him from achieving His will (1Tim.2:4); reconciling all through the blood of Christ’s cross (Col.1:20, and becoming All in all (1 Cor.15:28).”
Dean Hough

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2013, 12:46 PM

231 posts, read 327,319 times
I love it when people pull out Greek. "eternal" means "temporal." "punishment" means "correction." It's almost as if you could make the Bible say and mean anything you want to fit your particular flavor of god. Oh wait...

Old 04-30-2013, 12:54 PM

Quote:
I love it when people pull out Greek. "eternal" means "temporal." "punishment" means "correction." It's almost as if you could make the Bible say and mean anything you want to fit your particular flavor of god. Oh wait...
I'm just so glad for the understanding that Louis Abbot has about what the Bible teaches.

In the forward to his book AN ANALYTICAL STUDY OF WORDS, Louis Abbott wrote,
“One key area various denominations are divided over is the final destiny of the ungodly, the wicked, the unsaved, the unregenerate, or however one wishes to phrase it.

There are three views on this subject. Each position claims Scriptural support: (1) eternal torment; (2) eternal destruction; and (3) the ultimate salvation of all. It is obvious that all cannot be correct.
I pray this book will be a blessing to all who are struggling with this subject.” (unquote)
This book can be read online at this link
AN ANALYTICAL STUDY OF WORDS
An Analytical Study of Words

Old 04-30-2013, 01:06 PM

745 posts, read 1,648,728 times
So, those who are to burn....
Tell me, exactly what is it that burns?
The body is in the ground rotting, so it is not what is burning.
The "soul" ....it isn't made of matter is it?
You do understand that FIRE is only of the Material world, don't you?
So what exactly is it that does the burning?

Why don't you all do some critical thinking on all that you have been told about these things?

Old 04-30-2013, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodgertutt View Post
I'm just so glad for the understanding that Louis Abbot has about what the Bible teaches.

“One key area various denominations are divided over is the final destiny of the ungodly, the wicked, the unsaved, the unregenerate, or however one wishes to phrase it.

There are three views on this subject. Each position claims Scriptural support: (1) eternal torment; (2) eternal destruction; and (3) the ultimate salvation of all. It is obvious that all cannot be correct.
I pray this book will be a blessing to all who are struggling with this subject.” (unquote)
Ok, I'll choose #3 because it makes me feel better and Louie Abbott wrote it.

Old 04-30-2013, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Ok, I'll choose #3 because it makes me feel better and Louie Abbott wrote it.
I choose #3 because Louis convincingly demontrates to me that universal reconcilaition is the word of God.

Old 04-30-2013, 03:05 PM

Quote:
I choose #3 because Louis convincingly demontrates to me that universal reconcilaition is the word of God.
Do you promise this is the truth?

Old 04-30-2013, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Do you promise this is the truth?
Do you promise this not the truth?

Old 04-30-2013, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Do you promise this not the truth?

I'll take that as a no.

Old 04-30-2013, 03:19 PM

Quote:
I'll take that as a no.
Then you take it wrong.
It is the truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity