Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 04:01 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,146,481 times

Advertisements

and she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name Jesus, for he shall save his people from their sins
Saved from eternal hell ?, how is it those who claim to be a 100% bible believing inerrantists see eternal hell in this verse of scripture.

to you first, God, having raised up His child Jesus, did send him, blessing you, in the turning away of each one from your evil ways.

The salvation of God. ^^^^^
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2013, 07:35 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,346,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
You make a valid point, but, place too much emphasis on 'what parents and misguided people teach their children.' Since you seem to place such great weight in what people say, allow me to quote Mark Twain, who was neither a Christian or a Muslim (but, he was an intelligent, articulate individual able to see what was obviously stated in the Bible … without any religious bias): He said, "It's not the things that I don't understand in the Bible that give me the most trouble, but, the things that I do understand."

Ever-changing opinions and religious dogma are never as binding as a consistently, reliable “Truth Standard” - such as the Bible. Discover for yourself what God has said on this matter … since He alone has the keys to eternal life and death.
Was Twain bothered by the concept of hell?? Or was he perhaps bothered by the concept of "love your enemies??"

Based on personal experience, and considering that he was an intelligent individual, I'd say he was more struck by the power of Love than the power of "hell." Because people can believe in hell much easier than they can believe in unconditional Love.

blessings,
brian

Old 06-18-2013, 12:25 AM

3,153 posts, read 3,393,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
Was Twain bothered by the concept of hell?? Or was he perhaps bothered by the concept of "love your enemies??"

Based on personal experience, and considering that he was an intelligent individual, I'd say he was more struck by the power of Love than the power of "hell." Because people can believe in hell much easier than they can believe in unconditional Love. blessings,
brian
My attitude is like that of Anthony J. Borrello who wrote

SOONER OR LATER GOD ALL IN ALL
“As hostile and objectionable our dear brethren may be, there are answers and explanations for every argument and/or insinuation presented against the undeniable fact, That God indeed is a God ‘Who will have all men to be saved, and come into a knowledge of the truth (1Tim. 2:4). As greatly as man and their religious attempt to fight this utterly dynamic evangel (good news), God shall eventually be All in all (1Cor. 15:28)."
"But God is in no hurry. He has specific eons, and administrations within the eons, to fulfill His universal purpose and intention of universal reconciliation. All came out of Christ, including Adam. Consequently all shall be restored by and through Christ, ‘yet each in his own class’ (1Cor. 15:23)."
When clouds of confusion gather regarding God’s plan for mankind, and despair come showering down upon our studies, turn to God’s word originally rendered, then, like a searchlight in the darkness of night, His love, and His light of understanding will surely beam forth. God will not allow any to be eternally lost. He is a loving Creator, working out His purpose for the universe, Who will get love from all in return, so that He can and will be ‘ALL in all,’ to all, ‘later.’”

Old 06-18-2013, 11:42 AM

18,196 posts, read 16,797,431 times
I enjoy Rodger's threads. His links have led me to a wealth of material that I have enjoyed reading immensely. Keep up the good work, Rodger.

Old 06-22-2013, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
I enjoy Rodger's threads. His links have led me to a wealth of material that I have enjoyed reading immensely. Keep up the good work, Rodger.
As a 74 year old pilgrim, in the light of the content of my OP where I point out (with evidence) that millions of Muslims think that Christians are going to suffer forever in hell, and millions of Christians think that Muslims are going to suffer forever in hell, it is my great joy to embrace the attitude of John Prior Estlin who wrote the following, and I pray for those who are unable to embrace this attitude.

“To a belief in the doctrine of the eternity of hell torments, I impute more absurdity, more misery, and more un-Christian conduct, than to all other false opinions put together. The effects of this doctrine, when a person applies it to himself, are gloom and despair, often terminating in mental derangement; when he applies it to others, pride, cruelty, hatred, and all the worst passions of human nature.
It certainly argues a greater degree of benevolence in the Governor of the world, after the punishment of His creatures, to restore them to His favor, than either to preserve them in misery, or to blot them out of existence.
The firm belief in the doctrine of final universal restoration, has afforded much consolation to myself during a large portion of my life; has rendered advanced years placid and serene, and enables me to contemplate death itself, notwithstanding its gloomy appearance, as one of the most essential blessings of the whole plan of Providence.
I would as a friend, advise everyone to take this subject into his most serious consideration. I would wish him to experience during the remainder of his life, all the happiness which results from the full persuasion of this delightful doctrine. I pray to God that others may experience that perpetual sunshine of the mind, that joy in the divine administration, that serenity through life, and that cheering prospect in the hour of death, which the belief in the doctrine of final universal restoration does so manifestly inspire.”
John Prior Estlin (1747-1817)

Old 07-14-2013, 10:35 PM

14 posts, read 10,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodgertutt View Post
As a 74 year old pilgrim, in the light of the content of my OP where I point out (with evidence) that millions of Muslims think that Christians are going to suffer forever in hell, and millions of Christians think that Muslims are going to suffer forever in hell, it is my great joy to embrace the attitude of John Prior Estlin who wrote the following, and I pray for those who are unable to embrace this attitude.

“To a belief in the doctrine of the eternity of hell torments, I impute more absurdity, more misery, and more un-Christian conduct, than to all other false opinions put together. The effects of this doctrine, when a person applies it to himself, are gloom and despair, often terminating in mental derangement; when he applies it to others, pride, cruelty, hatred, and all the worst passions of human nature.
It certainly argues a greater degree of benevolence in the Governor of the world, after the punishment of His creatures, to restore them to His favor, than either to preserve them in misery, or to blot them out of existence.
The firm belief in the doctrine of final universal restoration, has afforded much consolation to myself during a large portion of my life; has rendered advanced years placid and serene, and enables me to contemplate death itself, notwithstanding its gloomy appearance, as one of the most essential blessings of the whole plan of Providence.
I would as a friend, advise everyone to take this subject into his most serious consideration. I would wish him to experience during the remainder of his life, all the happiness which results from the full persuasion of this delightful doctrine. I pray to God that others may experience that perpetual sunshine of the mind, that joy in the divine administration, that serenity through life, and that cheering prospect in the hour of death, which the belief in the doctrine of final universal restoration does so manifestly inspire.”
John Prior Estlin (1747-1817)

Thanks for sharing this! I'm finally getting it. My carnal mind is working and fighting hard to disbelieve but hearing and keeping this message alive is what is winning. The good fight was begun at the cross so I can join this revolution......Who's with truth???

Old 07-17-2013, 01:30 PM

Smile "I'm finally getting it"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdperea View Post
Thanks for sharing this! I'm finally getting it. My carnal mind is working and fighting hard to disbelieve but hearing and keeping this message alive is what is winning. The good fight was begun at the cross so I can join this revolution......Who's with truth???
It always warms my heart when another person "finally gets it."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity