Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 03:51 PM

3,162 posts, read 11,434,007 times

Advertisements

I decided to start this thread after seeing some threads like would all Buddhists (non Christian ones go to hell)

I know that not all of us Christians are like that, and I hope no one gets offended for what I'm going to say.

But honestly how do you think Christ would have seen Buddhists? wasn't his life an example of love and tolerance, didn't he love and accept everyone, romans, gentiles and hebrews?

In my personal view of Christ, he would have been really sad and disappointed for his disciples straying of his example, and I'm sure he would have understood as an enlightened son of God that all religions are equally true, that Buddha was a man of the same spiritual stature he has and that all sacred teachings come from the same father.

Respect!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2007, 03:55 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,263,159 times
Default Love demands honesty IMO....

Well, again Jesus said He was the only way to the Father. If that is the truth, then it is what it is. If we love people, we will tell them the truth. I think Jesus loved people. Consequently, He told them the truth. If you read the gospels, you will see Jesus confronting people all the time. This is how I see it anyway.

Old 10-31-2007, 04:06 PM

14,867 posts, read 17,143,188 times
Quote:
I decided to start this thread after seeing some threads like would all Buddhists (non Christian ones go to hell)

I know that not all of us Christians are like that, and I hope no one gets offended for what I'm going to say.

But honestly how do you think Christ would have seen Buddhists? wasn't his life an example of love and tolerance, didn't he love and accept everyone, romans, gentiles and hebrews?

In my personal view of Christ, he would have been really sad and disappointed for his disciples straying of his example, and I'm sure he would have understood as an enlightened son of God that all religions are equally true, that Buddha was a man of the same spiritual stature he has and that all sacred teachings come from the same father.
Hi, I don't believe that Jesus would have agreed that all Buddha was a man of the same spiritual stature. Jesus stated that He was the Son of God and said that anyone who had seen Him, had seen the Father. The Christian Bible teaches that Jesus was the exact representation of the Father, so no other man is on that same level. My personal belief based on what I understand in the Christian scriptures with the help of God is that Jesus would see Buddhists as lost and in need of Savior. All are sinners. Jesus died for them as He died for all men. All who believe in Him and trust in Him are saved in this day and age. I also understand in the Christian scriptures with the help of God that all men, including Buddhists will be reunited in Christ one day. (Ephesians 1:10) God is calling out a people for Himself today who will follow the way of Jesus, however, Jesus will eventually subject all to Himself. (1 Corinthians 15: 27-28). All belong to Him (Colossians 1:16) God bless.

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 10-31-2007 at 04:20 PM.. Reason: clarification

Old 10-31-2007, 04:08 PM

2,886 posts, read 8,280,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post

Respect!
Nothing could be farther from the truth; Jesus was just the opposite; He loved truth and while He loved everyone; he never tolerated their sins. One example were the money changers in the temple making the house a God "a den of thieves". He loves everyone to include myself; but He just hate our sin. my sin, and He won't tolerate it. whatever that may be...

Last edited by yhwhshalomjr; 10-31-2007 at 04:27 PM.. Reason: added after thought

Old 10-31-2007, 04:09 PM

Well as a Christian I believe that he stated we are his brothers because we are all the sons of God, the only difference between him and us is that he made the effort to love every soul and see God in every soul, that's what made him divine imho.

I don't believe in confronting people so this is the last time I post in this thread, I hope no one is offended for what I said.

God bless us all!

Old 10-31-2007, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yhwhshalomjr View Post
Nothing could be farther from the truth; Jesus was just the opposite; He loved truth and while He loved everyone; he never tolerated their sins. One example were the money changers in the temple making the house a God "a den of thieves". He loves everyone including me; but He just hate our sin. whatever that may be...
Paul is distressed that they have so quickly turned from him and his gospel
6 I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel: 7 Which is not another; but there be some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ. 8 But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed. 9 As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.
Gal 1:6-9 (KJV)

Who are the Other Gods?

Last edited by yhwhshalomjr; 10-31-2007 at 04:22 PM..

Old 10-31-2007, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
Well as a Christian I believe that he stated we are his brothers because we are all the sons of God, the only difference between him and us is that he made the effort to love every soul and see God in every soul, that's what made him divine imho.

I don't believe in confronting people so this is the last time I post in this thread, I hope no one is offended for what I said.

God bless us all!
You didn't offend me; I was speaking truth as I know it from the Holy oracles of God.

Old 10-31-2007, 04:25 PM

3,695 posts, read 11,368,771 times
I think that Jesus would have liked much of what Buddha taught, but I think that there is a fundamental difference between what Buddhists and Christians believe is the ultimate goal.

For one thing, if someone is a Buddhist they don't want to go to heaven. They want extinction - Nirvana. The cessation of all desires, the cessation of the bundle of wants and desires that keep us reincarnating and tied to the life of suffering that is rooted in desire.

My interpretation of Hell is that it is oblivion, a cessation of the soul. That's exactly what a Buddhist wants, which could be exactly how it's designed. Christ teaches us how to get to heaven if that's what we want. Buddha teaches us the way to extinction, if that's what we want. The path might depend in large part on whether we think that all life is suffering, as the Buddhists do, or whether we are meant to engage with the suffering in the world to try to alleviate it, as Christians are commanded to do.

Jesus made a powerful statement that how we treat other people is how we treat God. Buddhism is disengaged from the world. It doesn't attempt to alleviate suffering and pain, only to teach people how to withdraw from it. In a way, it's selfish even though the main purpose of it is the elimination of the desires that define the self. (Just like suicide, in a way.)

Christ taught that yes, there is suffering in the world, and that we are what He has to fix it. He uses our hands to reach out to others. We can't disengage from it, because God's other children are suffering. We must reach out to them and show them the love that God has for them.

What Christ and Buddha taught are not contradictory. If you want the Christian desire to go to Heaven, follow Christ. If you want the Buddhist wish for extinction and to be released from the desires and sense of self that lead to suffering, follow his teachings.

Old 10-31-2007, 04:27 PM

ok, I'm glad you didn't feel offended

so now, is it a sin to choose another great man of God as your guru? I don't think Christ would thought so, but your milleage may vary.

again in my personal view of Christ, he is in heaven now, having enlightening conversations with all the other great men of God, Krsna, Buddha, Muhammad, Gandhi and of course God himself.

again I explain, this is my personal view of Christ and Christianity.

Love and Light!

Old 10-31-2007, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean98125 View Post
I think that Jesus would have liked much of what Buddha taught, but I think that there is a fundamental difference between what Buddhists and Christians believe is the ultimate goal.

For one thing, if someone is a Buddhist they don't want to go to heaven. They want extinction - Nirvana. The cessation of all desires, the cessation of the bundle of wants and desires that keep us reincarnating and tied to the life of suffering that is rooted in desire.

My interpretation of Hell is that it is oblivion, a cessation of the soul. That's exactly what a Buddhist wants, which could be exactly how it's designed. Christ teaches us how to get to heaven if that's what we want. Buddha teaches us the way to extinction, if that's what we want. The path might depend in large part on whether we think that all life is suffering, as the Buddhists do, or whether we are meant to engage with the suffering in the world to try to alleviate it, as Christians are commanded to do.

Jesus made a powerful statement that how we treat other people is how we treat God. Buddhism is disengaged from the world. It doesn't attempt to alleviate suffering and pain, only to teach people how to withdraw from it. In a way, it's selfish even though the main purpose of it is the elimination of the desires that define the self. (Just like suicide, in a way.)

Christ taught that yes, there is suffering in the world, and that we are what He has to fix it. He uses our hands to reach out to others. We can't disengage from it, because God's other children are suffering. We must reach out to them and show them the love that God has for them.

What Christ and Buddha taught are not contradictory. If you want the Christian desire to go to Heaven, follow Christ. If you want the Buddhist wish for extinction and to be released from the desires and sense of self that lead to suffering, follow his teachings.
I think this confronting views come from our human misinterpretation of their teachings, actually nirvana or heaven is the same thing, to merge again into God's cosmic consciousness of eternal love, peace and bliss and to do that you need to get rid of all selfish desire, if Christ had been an slave of material desire, he would have fallen easy pray of satan's temptations of glory and power, instead of resisting them, if Christ had material desires he wouldn't have had the strenght to die for us at the cross.

Compassion is Buddhist, if a Buddhist saw someone suffering he would do his/her best to help out, at least a true Buddhist.

all these imho

Love and Light!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity