U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-01-2007, 05:14 AM
 
Location: Mississippi
6,715 posts, read 12,251,249 times
Reputation: 4279

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
I don't care too much about this carcass of mine that will get old and worse with age and that i'll finally have to forsake at death, along with all my material positions and ego titles like name, family, etc, my final objective is to realize that I'm a soul made in God's image thus perfect and inmortal.
You may not care for your old carcass but what about newborns that are born with the same deficiencies that I'm talking about? Newborns are susceptible to the same pitfalls. And what of the appen.......

Ok... I caught myself... I said in my first response to the OP that I didn't want to get into evolution... I'm tempted, but you people aren't going to suck me in that easily
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-01-2007, 05:24 AM
 
Location: The world, where will fate take me this time?
3,162 posts, read 10,467,515 times
Reputation: 1425
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
You may not care for your old carcass but what about newborns that are born with the same deficiencies that I'm talking about? Newborns are susceptible to the same pitfalls. And what of the appen.......

Ok... I caught myself... I said in my first response to the OP that I didn't want to get into evolution... I'm tempted, but you people aren't going to suck me in that easily
Well evolution will continue going on and on and on until we finally reach perfection, ancient cultures spoke of the great year a 24,000 year cycle of evolution with 2 phases, ascendant and descendant of 12,000 years each.

first we have kali yuga or the dark age with 1,200 years
then we have dwapara yuga or the scientific and technologic age (our current age) with 2,400 years
then we have treta yuga or the age of reason and concsiousness with 3,400 years
and finally we have satya yuga or the spiritual age with 4,800 years.

in satya yuga all people has the same level of spiritual development that Christ, Krsna and Buddha had, we don't need to depend on technology anymore because our spiritual powers are fully developed, so we can communicate telepathically and we can heal others just by the power of strong spiritual vibrations, after this cycle ends we start the descendant phase and we go all our way back to kali yuga again.

This happens because our souls become so evolved that they are ready to enter into higher planes of existence and less evolved souls who were incarnating in animal forms before are ready to become human and start it all over again.

Many cultures speak of this cycle, so there must at least be some truth on this.

Quantum physics shed some light into the workings of our universe, we now know that all matter and energy is composed of electromagnetic vibrations in different frequencies, these vibrations have 2 phases positive and negative, so I guess that this makes some sense too, the more you get involved with science the more resemblances you start to see in hinduism or buddhism or christianism (if you have the wisdom or the help of an enlightened soul to interpret Christ's teachings) and quantum physics

Last edited by Travelling fella; 11-01-2007 at 05:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2007, 05:37 AM
 
7,780 posts, read 13,475,961 times
Reputation: 3452
Guys, this is not a thread on evolution.

This is a thread on how professing Christians reconcile evolution to their Christianity.

(Theistic-Evolutionist)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2007, 06:53 AM
 
1,932 posts, read 4,329,312 times
Reputation: 1235
Thank you, Alpha, for snapping the class back to attention

As tempting as it is to answer both GCSTroop and Travelling fella, and boy do I got some answers .... I digress (imagine that!)

So far, what I've read that's on-topic is that those who reconcile evolution with the Bible don't believe the plain reading of the Bible .. is that correct?

Okay, so you (generally, not specific) don't take Genesis word for word. However, that leads to a very dangerous position, in my opinion. If you can't believe Genesis for what it plainly reads, how can you believe other parts of the Bible? How does one decide which parts are to be believed and which parts are to be cast aside?

What is the cause for not believing the plain reading of Genesis? Is it something within the Bible or from outside the Bible that causes you to doubt the veracity of God's word?

Last edited by mams1559; 11-01-2007 at 06:54 AM.. Reason: Added question
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2007, 06:56 AM
 
7,099 posts, read 24,440,071 times
Reputation: 7301
You will have to go a long way to convince me that evolution is no longer happening. The human body will continue to change, for the better, I hope.

We are seeing more and more people being born without wisdom teeth? Could it be because we no longer need them? There was a time when there seemed to be more and more people that could survive the plagues. Did modern medicine put an end to that sort of evolutionay weeding of the less fit?

Remember that we are talking generations and generations over millions of years. If the people that are the most capable of surviving, make it, then they have the most children that carry those better genes. The weaker, and the less adaptable ones, don't live as long, don't have as many children, etc.

All ancient peoples have a version of the creation of the world that is just as reasonable as the one in Genesis. People make up stories to tell their children to explain the unexplainable. Those stories are passed on down the generations until a written language is developed.

The big question is whether or not someone believes that the account in Genesis is the 100% truth. If they do, there is no way that they will come to look at it from any other angle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2007, 07:02 AM
 
1,932 posts, read 4,329,312 times
Reputation: 1235
Thanks for the reply, Padgett2, and giving us your point of view.

However, yours and the other replies have not really answered the specific questions I've posted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2007, 07:07 AM
 
3,086 posts, read 5,653,734 times
Reputation: 968
Quote:
Originally Posted by mams1559 View Post
So far, what I've read that's on-topic is that those who reconcile evolution with the Bible don't believe the plain reading of the Bible .. is that correct?

Okay, so you (generally, not specific) don't take Genesis word for word. However, that leads to a very dangerous position, in my opinion. If you can't believe Genesis for what it plainly reads, how can you believe other parts of the Bible? How does one decide which parts are to be believed and which parts are to be cast aside?

What is the cause for not believing the plain reading of Genesis? Is it something within the Bible or from outside the Bible that causes you to doubt the veracity of God's word?
I agree with you, mams.. basically, I don't believe we came here because of evolution, because I have no need to! I believe that God is all-powerful, His word is true. Believing in an all-powerful Creator, there is absolutely no need to believe in evolution. Even many atheists see this inconsistancy in Christians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2007, 07:10 AM
 
Location: The world, where will fate take me this time?
3,162 posts, read 10,467,515 times
Reputation: 1425
Quote:
Originally Posted by mams1559 View Post
Thank you, Alpha, for snapping the class back to attention

As tempting as it is to answer both GCSTroop and Travelling fella, and boy do I got some answers .... I digress (imagine that!)

So far, what I've read that's on-topic is that those who reconcile evolution with the Bible don't believe the plain reading of the Bible .. is that correct?

Okay, so you (generally, not specific) don't take Genesis word for word. However, that leads to a very dangerous position, in my opinion. If you can't believe Genesis for what it plainly reads, how can you believe other parts of the Bible? How does one decide which parts are to be believed and which parts are to be cast aside?

What is the cause for not believing the plain reading of Genesis? Is it something within the Bible or from outside the Bible that causes you to doubt the veracity of God's word?
Dear mams

that's a tough call, because our limited knowledge isn't equipped with the right tools to do that, the only way to do it, is by having intense prayer or meditation sessions or both, but not just for 10 minutes, you'd need at least 30 minutes daily on a constant basis for years for your consciousness to start developing, the aid of an enlightened guru's wisdom can help you too.

you also need to ask in your prayers, but not just repeating words, you need to pray with all your mind, heart and soul asking for Christ and the Holy spirit to guide you.

also I think it would be completely unwise to say I've read the bible, I wouldn't dare to say such a thing, I've just placed my eyes into some of it's verses.

and finally, to really understand the truths hidden in the sacred scriptures you need to read one verse at a time, and keep constantly meditating about it for the entire day, or months or years putting it into practice until you can say that you really understood it.

Finally, I think that nothing in the bible should be cast aside, we just need to delve deep into it's meaning until we understand it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2007, 07:25 AM
 
1,932 posts, read 4,329,312 times
Reputation: 1235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
Dear mams

that's a tough call, because our limited knowledge isn't equipped with the right tools to do that, the only way to do it, is by having intense prayer or meditation sessions or both, but not just for 10 minutes, you'd need at least 30 minutes daily on a constant basis for years for your consciousness to start developing, the aid of an enlightened guru's wisdom can help you too.

you also need to ask in your prayers, but not just repeating words, you need to pray with all your mind, heart and soul asking for Christ and the Holy spirit to guide you.

also I think it would be completely unwise to say I've read the bible, I wouldn't dare to say such a thing, I've just placed my eyes into some of it's verses.
Okay. Let me comment right here. If you haven't read the bible, how can you disagree with it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
and finally, to really understand the truths hidden in the sacred scriptures you need to read one verse at a time, and keep constantly meditating about it for the entire day, or months or years putting it into practice until you can say that you really understood it.
Yes, I understand the ideal of reading a verse or two and meditating on them throughout the day. That's part of study. However, one needs to consider the entire counsel of God's word when reading scripture. One or two verses may not be enough context to understand what you're reading. And no, I don't think it takes months or years to understand what you're reading. God presents His word in such a way that even a child can understand its meaning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
Finally, I think that nothing in the bible should be cast aside, we just need to delve deep into it's meaning until we understand it.
At least we agree nothing should be cast aside. And as nothing should be cast aside, why can't Genesis mean what it plainly says? As you say, our knowledge is limited, so why delve so deep to twist the scriptures?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2007, 07:29 AM
 
Location: Between Here and There
3,684 posts, read 10,982,798 times
Reputation: 1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by mams1559 View Post
Thank you, Alpha, for snapping the class back to attention

As tempting as it is to answer both GCSTroop and Travelling fella, and boy do I got some answers .... I digress (imagine that!)

So far, what I've read that's on-topic is that those who reconcile evolution with the Bible don't believe the plain reading of the Bible .. is that correct?

Okay, so you (generally, not specific) don't take Genesis word for word. However, that leads to a very dangerous position, in my opinion. If you can't believe Genesis for what it plainly reads, how can you believe other parts of the Bible? How does one decide which parts are to be believed and which parts are to be cast aside?

What is the cause for not believing the plain reading of Genesis? Is it something within the Bible or from outside the Bible that causes you to doubt the veracity of God's word?
Mams again I don't think I am of any help here. But I do believe the message of the bible and God is as strong if you read it for what it means instead of what it says. Did you read the link? I know it's a Catholic position but it does make sense to me...as long as all is attributed to God I don't think it matters how long 6 days was, etc.

I think that not believing in the plain reading of Genesis is a matter of reason and logic and the knowledge of what we do know through science, not just what is still thoery...there are just things there that don't jive. Not to say that God is incapable of doing whatever He wants...and yes He can "poof" (for lack of another word, not meant to diminish His power or make light) things that we know take years and years to develop (full grown trees for example) into existence but that doesn't mean that He did...or that He would want to, after all He created the natural law of things as well as the things themselves...to me just "poofing" would go against what He created things to do in the first place. Understand?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:21 PM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top