U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 10:58 AM

3,684 posts, read 10,983,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
In defense of my belief that the bible is not the infallible word of God . First I did a quick prayer that I would not now or ever cause anyone to stumble by my being outside the box..I believe that Godly, righteous,religious men wrote the bible..I believe that God did inspire them to write their knowledge and experiences so we would know about Jesus and the sacrifice he made for our sins., but God did not give them the words...IMO Jesus 's existance and the loving work he did are well documented and even some nonbelievers acknowledge that Jesus existesd..I think God may have had a big hand in saving that, as I believe God made sure that the gospels location, political standings and historical figures were well documented for our proof..I will not go into a long dialogue on the rest of the bible as I have posts elsewhere on my thoughts about the old testament. For this post, I will just say that God did protect the prophecies about the coming of Christ..I believe that all men are mortal and have free will to choose to put their interpretations as to what they perceive as the truth..In my own feeble mind, there are too many verses, chapters, words in the bible that cause confusion, hate, intolerance and splits within "the church"...God never set out to confuse us, he wants us to search for him..The bible is a guide, and a source of comfort and inspiration as it IMO was intended..I know that most people here don't think that anybody except christians know the truth, and I am sorry for that..I do trust God..I trust Him with every ounce of life and love that is in me..It took many years to have the love and peace that I feel with my religion..And fyi, I do believe in creation, and the old age of the world, I believe there were in dinosaurs and scientific proofs, and "Lucy" is millions of years old and I believe that science and religion do complememt each other...
Oh and I get this to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2007, 10:59 AM

58 posts, read 124,223 times
So your defense is you pray hard....

Old 11-01-2007, 11:16 AM

13,564 posts, read 21,671,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Y'honatan View Post
So your defense is you pray hard....
Just in case you are talking to me..I have no defense... No reason to defend... I am secure in my beliefs ,and you betcha I pray hard

Old 11-01-2007, 11:17 AM

3,772 posts, read 9,530,491 times
When we have the love of the Lord in our heart and we have a yearning to keep seeking Him,we know what the Lord expects of us. We can easily discern what the Bible has to say and there is no doubt what the Lord has planned for us when we have a righteous heart.

Its when we have an unrighteous heart that we interpret scripture to fit our lifestyle and not God's.

Old 11-01-2007, 11:20 AM

7,807 posts, read 10,678,691 times
Default Oh, I so can't believe that I am posting this!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post

There's multiple translations of the bible yes, but the message is consistent overall, and the teachings are there consistently as well.
AND...

Cg81:
"IMO Alpha's thought was more down the line of "if I'm hearing different music, I may be listening to a different band." Or letting other bands distract from the music I am trying to hear..."

(Oh, I so can't believe that I of all people am posting this!)

Metaphorically speaking, now, people...Remember, this is June...

Cg81, for all I know, I may have completely misinterpretted what Alpha's point was...Like I said, this is "you-know-who" June! However...

In any piece of music, there is process. There must exist an underlying process by which music, (notes, etc.) are connected. There is an implied element of creativity there. The notes cannot stand alone and still be music; however, there can exist variations of those notes and still produce the same "song." (I guess I'm thinking about all the various genres of music, along with the fact that the same, exact song can be done with various differing renditions...)

The underlying premise, however, is still the same. The underlying process is still the same. And dare I say, the creative process has to originate somewhere. (I'm in trouble now!)

The "music" may be different, but the inherent commonalities are there.

And the odd thing is, I have absolutely no doubt that you all can sing the same song, in unison. (And yet your voices are all different...)

Just my idyll June musings for a chilly Autumnal afternoon...

June, taking gentle, extra careful, gentle care!

P.S. Yikes!

Last edited by june 7th; 11-01-2007 at 11:42 AM.. Reason: Music lovers are sticklers when it comes to "all things grammer!"

Old 11-01-2007, 11:36 AM

3,086 posts, read 5,654,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
AND...

Cg81:
"IMO Alpha's thought was more down the line of "if I'm hearing different music, I may be listening to a different band." Or letting other bands distract from the music I am trying to hear..."

(Oh, I so can't believe that I of all people am posting this!)

Metaphorically speaking, now, people...Remember, this is June...

Cg81, for all I know, I may have completely misinterpretted what Alpha's point was...Like I said, this is "you-know-who" June! However...

In any piece of music, there is process. There must exist an underlying process by which music, (notes, etc.) are connected. There is an implied element of creativity there. The notes cannot stand alone and still be music, however, there can exist variations of those notes and still produce the same "song." (I guess I'm thinking about all the various genres of music, along with the fact that the same, exact song can be done with various differing renditions...)

The underlying premise, however, is still the same. The underlying process is still the same. And dare I say, the creative process has to originate somewhere. (I'm in trouble now!)

The "music" may be different, but the inherent commonalities are there.

And the odd thing is, I have absolutely no doubt that you all can sing the same song, in unison. (And yet your voices are all different...)

Just my idyll June musings for a chilly Autumnal afternoon...

June, taking gentle, extra careful, gentle care!

P.S. Yikes!
Yes! I think you're not too far off the mark! (Take that as a compliment!)

I agree with you in the area that many people can hear the same song, and it can touch them in different ways..they can "hear" it differently..and yet the song is the same! It always will be...

But we have the disadvantage of another song playing... which we can block out or turn up the volume.

What would happen if I would try to "play" the song I am hearing... and leave out a few "unnecessary" notes here and there ("improving" on the composer).. or block out those notes or phrases in my mind when I heard the song..maybe insert some notes or phrases from another song... would I be getting the message?

Old 11-01-2007, 11:43 AM

25,084 posts, read 14,250,521 times
Alpha Right on...amen...I agree with u

Old 11-01-2007, 11:54 AM

7,807 posts, read 10,678,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
would I be getting the message?
Metaphorical answer: Would you be consistent with the process of creating music, and in so doing, would you be aware of the connection to your own creation/ creative process? You ARE the music, cg81...

June's non-metaphorical response: If you can't, then how, ever, could I...??? (Meaning: How would the likes of me ever "get the message?" Because somehow, somehow, somehow...Well...?)

Still taking extra gentle care,
-June: Non-Musician...

Old 11-01-2007, 11:57 AM

323 posts, read 987,533 times
The most important comment (to me) I'd like to make... is AMEN ALPHA!

The other thing I feel compelled to say.... why squabble over the differences between; the words killing and murder?... whether acting gay or being gay is the sin? It so makes me just wonder if people really want to know God's answer... or to make themselves feel better about what they WANT it to mean or to say. If the good Lord God gave you intelligence... put it to use... read a Christian bible... you notice I said A BIBLE... then READ the WORDS. You're intelligent. What does it say... ask yourself NOT what you HOPE it means, or if you AGREE with it. Just let the exact words sink in and BELIEVE that is what God wants you to see, read, ingest, digest and LIVE. Don't INTERPRET... it's right there in front of your face. No one ever said it would be easy... and no one ever said you had to agree with God's word... just live by them because you SHOULD.
Just my two cents. :c/

Old 11-01-2007, 12:15 PM

3,086 posts, read 5,654,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
-June: Non-Musician...
June, I am not a musician either... maybe a musical instrument, but not the music, or the Musician...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity