U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 02:29 PM

7,099 posts, read 24,440,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
Just curious.. what do we go by as a guide when we pick and choose?

Food for thought:
God's Word will NEVER give room for the flesh.
And any interpretation that does is inspired by the deceiver.

Yes, no, maybe so? ?????
all right....I will be specific and I will repeat what I have said earlier.

Do you think that women should never wear slacks or jeans? The bible forbids women wearing men's apparel.

Do you think that slavery is OK? The bible says we are to treat out slaves well.

Do you think that women should always be silent in church and submit to their husbands, no matter what?

And there's something about giving up all your property so that it can be redistributed.....I think it's every seven years. That would include your home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2007, 02:38 PM

7,780 posts, read 13,475,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherologist View Post
Someone stop the World, I want to get off! Wow! I has been a long time since I have stepped into a thread where the Christians were argueing so much.

Here is my opinion (just in case anyone cares...or not).

I believe the Bible in it's entirety! I believe that God created the world in 6 days. Do I think that those were 6-24 hour days? I don't know, I don't believe that God works in 24 hour sifts. God's time is not my time. Do I believe that Moses parted the sea, that Noah built the Ark and that he transported two of all the animals? Heck, yes. Through God, all things are possible. All we need is faith the size of a mustard seed. (How big is your faith?)

I also believe that there is a reason that the Bible is referred to as The Living Word. I believe that two people can read the same verse and it could pertain to their individual lives differantly. I also believe that I could read the same verse today and next year it might mean something totally different depending on where I am in my life. The world is an everchanging place. I feel certain that God knew that would be the case. Hence, he gave us The Living Word to live by.

JMHO

God bless us all...

Weather...
To me, different application is not equal to different interpretation.

Old 11-01-2007, 02:41 PM

3,772 posts, read 9,529,838 times
When you do not have the love of the Lord in your heart and you are not focused on Him.the Bible means absolutely nothing. It is about having a true personal relationship with God and staying in His word.

Old 11-01-2007, 02:44 PM

8,668 posts, read 20,280,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post

Do you think that women should never wear slacks or jeans? The bible forbids women wearing men's apparel.

Do you think that slavery is OK? The bible says we are to treat out slaves well.

Do you think that women should always be silent in church and submit to their husbands, no matter what?

And there's something about giving up all your property so that it can be redistributed.....I think it's every seven years. That would include your home.
A lot of so-called objections when examined and exegeted properly are not quite so objectionable. Let's take a few you mentioned bearing in mind that kaykay is not Bible scholar, ok?

Men's wearing apparel-actually the scripture says that women are not to wear men's clothing or men to wear women's. I don't think this is referring to slacks or jeans that are made to be worn by women. I think it is referring (in the law I might add) to something deeper, more along the lines of what a transvestite might do. Any other words, women should not try to appear masculine and vice versa. There should be some distinction between the sexes. Fashion in different cultures will come and go but there should be some distinction.

I think the Bible viewed slavery as somewhat of a social issue which eventually would be abolished.

Yes, I do believe women should submit to their husband's authority unless the issue would require something sinful. No, not "no matter what." Common sense and balance needs to be exercised here, but in general, yes, the husband should be the head and the leader of the home. And they are commanded to love their wives as Christ loved the Church, laying down their lives for her.

Redistribution of property--you are probably thinking of year of Jubilee. I would have to go back and look at it to comment further but this was given to the Jews under their law for a specific time.

Others could probably speak to scripture better than I but I have just quickly and briefly addressed some of the issues you raised the best I can.

Old 11-01-2007, 02:54 PM

3,086 posts, read 5,653,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post

I believe that "transvestitism" and women wearing modest women's slacks are two different things. The bible does encourage modest apparel.

Quote:

Galatians 3:28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.

I couldn't find one verse regarding "slaves" in the NT.. and in the OT it was in a prophecy. (Maybe I'm missing something) No, slavery is not ok.... and references in the NT which I found were referring to the servants, that they should please their masters...

I don't believe that women should be teaching men in church... they do a lot of very vital work and have an important place to fill, tho. And no, a woman should always serve God first.. and not submit to anything that would be against His will when it comes to their marriage. I do believe that God has a certain order in the home. The most important, crucial, and imperative one is this.. that the husband is submitted to Christ, and that he loves his wife as his own body.

Quote:
Isn't this in the OT? We should still see everything we own as the Lords, and use it as He sees fit.

Old 11-01-2007, 03:02 PM

We had a thread about legalism, and IMO when this is a problem, it will also be a problem to correctly read and interpret scripture.
What is "legalism?"

Old 11-01-2007, 03:05 PM

13,564 posts, read 21,669,686 times
I don't see how anyone can quote Galations 3:28.......neither male nor female for ye are all one in Christ. Then in the next sentence say that a man is over the woman and that therefore is not allowed to teach a man or speak in church....

Old 11-01-2007, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
We had a thread about legalism, and IMO when this is a problem, it will also be a problem to correctly read and interpret scripture.
What is "legalism?"
This is very insightful, cg.

Old 11-01-2007, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
I don't see how anyone can quote Galations 3:28.......neither male nor female for ye are all one in Christ. Then in the next sentence say that a man is over the woman and that therefore is not allowed to teach a man or speak in church....
Well, blue, I believe the key is that they have different roles, but no one is superior to the other. That's my .02.

Old 11-01-2007, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
Transferred my response here so as not to go OT. Women over Men

Last edited by cg81; 11-01-2007 at 03:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity