U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 02:53 AM

8,567 posts, read 14,784,477 times

Advertisements

Jesus is not the bible.
To believe in Jesus I do not have to believe in the bible.
Whenever the bible contradicts Jesus I follow Jesus over Paul and any other apostle.
Only the truth can set me free, not religion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2007, 06:29 AM

2,886 posts, read 7,495,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
Ya know, I thought I could trust God.

I thought I could take Him at His word.

I thought He was bigger than deception and larger than the schemes of man and the devil.

Then I found out that He couldn't even hold His own Word together. The letter that I've based my entire eternal life on, I can't even believe. There is no hope. I might as well write my own bible, that's what I'm told each translation is.

No.

I don't believe that.

I do believe God.

I believe I can take an NIV, KJV, NASB, NLT, etc and find God there....find freedom....redemption.....salvation....guidance.

I believe my God is able to assure that those who are truly seeking Him will find Him and that those that are seeking righteousness and holy living will find it too.

I'm told on these forums that the bible's been twisted, distorted, mixed up. That it's unreliable, contradictory, inaccurate.

We'll if that gives you free reign to live and act and believe and create a belief system that works for you, that's fine, I personally have no problem with that.

But don't tell me how much of a committed Christ follower you are and how wonderful and mighty the God of the bible is if you don't even believe the bible. Now that's contradiction right there. How can you follow Christ when you don't even trust the document that shows Him to you? There's multiple translations of the bible yes, but the message is consistent overall, and the teachings are there consistently as well. But, no, we like to build our beliefs systems on what the Bible doesn't say, rather than what it does.

"Oh, the bible doesn't say this, so it must be OK" Sorry, but I personally think that's a huge problem when you start interpreting scripture that isn't there.

It's sad really. And, in my opinion, what professing Christians are showing the world about our lack of unity and the huge amount of disbelief within our very own faith, is going to be something we'll answer for. How can we tell people to believe, when we don't even believe ourselves. We like to pick what we want from scriptures and what doesn't suit us we say that must be a mistranslation. Right? Christ can't really be THE way, right? And that's just the tip of the iceberg.....

For what it's worth, I want to say that I believe the Word of God.
I believe The Bible.
Hi everyone, this is what keeps me sane and on the right path
Quote:
The Holy Spirit: the key

25 These things have I spoken unto you, being yet present with you. 26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, 25 These things have I spoken unto you, being yet present with you. 26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you
John 14:25-26 (KJV)

16 And I will bring the blind by a way that they knew not; I will lead them in paths that they have not known: I will make darkness light before them, and crooked things straight.
Isaiah 42:15-16 (KJV)

10 Many sorrows shall be to the wicked: but he that trusteth in the LORD, mercy shall compass him about.
Psalms 32:10 (KJV)

When we are baptized in the Holy Spirit, we can see and understand things;
He is our navigator, even when we do not understand all of the different interpretations of the word of God; this is privilege to all those who are in Him and trust that there is the Holy Spirit"; He'll show us truth from error; all over the bible He's telling us to "trust in the Lord with all thine heart....and to lean not unto our own understanding" acknowledge Him in all that we do and He shall direct our path.(paraphrasing)
these are not just words to sound religious or spiritual. But to acknowledge Him, IMO this means to ask and inquire or consult Him before you do anything"
"ALL" and SHALL" are two words that I adhere to literally, because when I do this He promises to show me what path to take" literally. This may seem a little off topic, but it's not really. since the Holy spirit is our tour guide through life and when we trust Him by faith then He will reveal all things to us, as I see it.
So Alpha I agree with you , as i posted a thread when i first came to this forum' Either
we will believe Him and His word or not.

Old 11-02-2007, 06:59 AM

8,567 posts, read 14,784,477 times
The problem with religions is that most of them refuse to see the Holy Spirit outside their own religion.
Gandhi was a Hindu, but rejected the belief in castes. I doubt many Christians will accept that Ghandi probably was inspired by the Holy Spirit, because Ghandi learned allot from Jesus. Especially the form of non-violent resistance.
Most Americans now have no problem with believing that Martin Luther King JR was probably inspired by the Holy Spirit, but at that time many white Christians would never have accepted that. Simply because Martin Luther King JR was not white and preached against segregation.
Martin Luther King JR had no problem in admitting that he was greatly inspired by Ghandi, who was in turn inspired by Jesus.

And why do people have accepting recognising the Holy Spirit in other philosophies or religions?
Probably because it was not mentioned in their scripture.

Old 11-02-2007, 08:29 AM

3,086 posts, read 5,656,226 times
Good post yhwhshalomjr! ^
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefer View Post
whew!!! I thought when I first saw this you had flipped your wig!!
Then I read on , and I agree.
Scared me there for a minute.
The only thing is I think understanding comes when the Holy Spirit reveals it to you, and I believe ( just my two cents Here) that it is revealed when you are ready or able to apply it to your life. We all comprehend things differently. But if we truly believe Christ to be the Son of God, repent and apply that to our life then the rest will come when we are ready for it.
Just my humble and I do mean humble opinion.
Very good point, thefer! I agree... the Holy Spirit WILL reveal the truth to us. And HE knows when we're ready...we don't. When He thinks we're ready, that doesn't mean that it will be easy for us... but we DO need to follow, and that is the only way out of confusion... to follow a Guide. The confusion is caused by our detours.

So, simply stated, follow the music you DO hear...amidst the confusion. It will lead you to the band.

Old 11-02-2007, 08:39 AM

13,568 posts, read 21,683,852 times
I agree with Tricky..I know I should probably leave this thread, but I am compelled to just say one thing..God is not confusing, God is not hard to find..He was the ultimate sacrifice for sin..His death also made it easy for us to access him without going through the rituals of the ot..Imo, the confusion began after Christ assended to the Father. Man began to set rules and more traditions in place for believers to have to go throughto get to God ..Man began to believe the words of man who changed what John in his gospel told us.."In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God...." The word is not the bible..The Word is Christ..IMO man has succeeded in making it difficult for people to reach God. Man put a label on all the people who began to follow man instead of God, they called themselves Christian and set themselves apart from the rest of the children of God..They added words and interpretations to make it more difficult for anyone seeking Him..They began to fight amongst them selves over the rules they had set up and began creating their own 'Churches" They forgot what the true meaning of the church is..The meaning that Jesus explained to them while he was with us..Most of their quotes and traditions come from men who came after Christ..They began to tell us that the simple message of Christ had different meaning and proceeded to tell us what God or Christ words really meant..They convinced their followers that everyone else was wrong except them and that they are the favored ones..Hate for other believers who rejected their rules began to spread ......It was born and bred by man following man....

Last edited by Miss Blue; 11-02-2007 at 09:10 AM.. Reason: spell

Old 11-02-2007, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
I agree with Tricky..I know I should probably leave this thread, but I am compelled to just say one thing..God is not confusing, God is not hard to find..He was the ultimate sacrifice for sin..His death also made it easy for us to access him without going through the rituals of the ot..Imo, the confusion began after Christ assended to the Father. Man began to set rules and more traditions in place for believers to have to go throughto get to God ..Man began to believe the words of man who changed what John in his gospel told us.."In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God...." The word is not the bible..The Word is Christ..IMO man has succeeded in making it difficult for people to reach God. Man put a label on all the people who began to follow man instead of God, they called themselves Christian and set themselves apart from the rest of the children of God..They added words and interpretations to make it more difficult for anyone seeking Him..They began to fight amongst them selves over the rules they had set up and began creating their own 'Churches" They forgot what the true meaning of the church is..The meaning that Jesus explained to them while he was with us..Most of their quotes and traditions come from men who came after Christ..They began to tell us that the simple message of Christ had different meaning and proceeded to tell us what God or Christ really meant..They triedconvinced their followers that everyone else was wrong except them and that they are the favored ones..Hate for other believers was born not by man following God....It was born and bred by man following man....
Blue, I agree with alot of your post. God truly is not the author of confusion.. it is man that has made it that way. People have taken the Bible, added things, and taken away certain parts. Confusion! And yes, added traditions and fought about rules, proclaimed damnation on anyone not following their way. Clearly not what Jesus had in mind.

There is just one thing, tho, that I'd like to draw attention to:
Quote:
they called themselves Christian and set themselves apart from the rest of the children of God
The name "Christian" was given to the believers by those around them! The people around them knew that these believers were following Christ, and called them "Little Christs". Their fruits were showing it. And so, I agree... we are not the ones to call ourselves "Christians"... we should let the world around us decide, just like at that time. Do they see that we are Christ-like? Are we Christians?

The music should be loud and clear.

Last edited by cg81; 11-02-2007 at 09:19 AM.. Reason: added last sentence

Old 11-02-2007, 09:17 AM

7,780 posts, read 13,483,365 times
He was in the world, and though the world was made through him, the world did not recognize him. He came to that which was his own, but his own did not receive him. Yet to all who received him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God John 1:10-12
Emphasis added. This is regarding Christ Jesus.

Old 11-02-2007, 09:45 AM

13,568 posts, read 21,683,852 times
My problem is not with the Gospels...Just my opinion that the epistles are the problem..This unfundamental belief didn't come over me in a day , a week or a month...It is the result of years and years of searching , prayer, studying and faith and love for the creator and the savior, and the Holy Spirit who guides my direction..I Know that I have probably lost a couple of very near and dear friends due to this post and the other one elsewhere that I made..I am not in the business of trying to make people worship as I do..I do desire that people seek God and the Son and know them..Their decision of how to worship will be made known to them through the Holy Spirit, whom Jesus promised would come to us after He was gone..That being said all I have to add is God Bless us all..

Old 11-02-2007, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
He was in the world, and though the world was made through him, the world did not recognize him. He came to that which was his own, but his own did not receive him. Yet to all who received him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God John 1:10-12
Emphasis added. This is regarding Christ Jesus.
Very fitting verse..

The translation I am more familiar with has "power" instead of "right". I thot I'd bring it up here for discussion:

John 1:12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:
13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

Basically, we cannot be the sons of God if we are not "empowered". This power helps us discern the truth.

Thoughts?

(And blue, I hope you don't think you have lost me as a friend!^)

Old 11-02-2007, 09:49 AM

7,780 posts, read 13,483,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
I Know that I have probably lost a couple of very near and dear friends due to this post and the other one elsewhere that I made.
I gotte go off topic here and promise not to hi-jack my own thread but I just feel compelled to tell you that you haven't lost me as a friend.

I love ya, blue. I appreciate your honestly.

No, as far as being my friend, as my grandma used to say "You couldn't beat me off with a stick!"

Now you might be thinking other people, but I just wanted you to know that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity