Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 01:18 PM

3,086 posts, read 6,252,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
I don't get it.

But this is what I do get.

Reading the Bible Again for the First Time
A quote from the article:
Quote:
As we enter the twenty-first century, we need a new set of lenses through which to read the Bible. The older set, ground and polished by modernity, no longer works for millions of people.
No longer works...

Works for who? Works for what?

How sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2007, 01:26 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,844,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
A quote from the article:

Quote:
As we enter the twenty-first century, we need a new set of lenses through which to read the Bible. The older set, ground and polished by modernity, no longer works for millions of people.
No longer works...

How sad.
That is what I am really driving at.

That is what saddens me.

"Jesus loves me this I know
For the Bible tells me so"

"Really, what else does the bible tell you?"

"Here, you decide."

Old 11-01-2007, 01:27 PM

7,991 posts, read 12,210,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post

No longer works...

How sad.
...but you can all still sing the exact same song in unison, cg81!!! Some of you are altos, some are sopranos, some are tenors, and some even sing off key, but you can all sing the same song together, in unison, because June has seen you do it before!

--And in June's feeble, metaphorical mind, therein lies the hope!

Taking metaphorical gentle care,
-June

Old 11-01-2007, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
...but you can all still sing the exact same song in unison, cg81!!!
Yes, we can... but some people are tired of the melody and want different timing! It no longer "works for this generation."

And so, we sing different songs....

Old 11-01-2007, 01:34 PM

258 posts, read 788,714 times
You know, it's funny, everyone will say Amen! or I agree! But then they'll turn around and start arguing about what's truth in the Bible. Is it true that death is death like the Bible says or is there life after death? Is it true that there is one God, the Father, like the Bible says or is there a trinity? Is it true that homosexuality is something detestible to God like the Bible says or is it perfectly acceptable to Him? Is it true we must love one another and our neighbor as ourselves and learn war no more like the Bible says or kill our brothers and neighbors in wars? If you accept the Bible as God's word, if you accept the Bible as truth, if you accept the Bible as Holy, then you can't disagree with it's teachings.

Old 11-01-2007, 01:35 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,415,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
...but you can all still sing the exact same song in unison, cg81!!! Some of you are altos, some are sopranos, some are tenors, and some even sing off key, but you can all sing the same song together, in unison, because June has seen you do it before!

--And in June's feeble, metaphorical mind, therein lies the hope!

Taking metaphorical gentle care,
-June

Amen to Gentle June the athiest, who in my opinion may be seeing the "conductor"..Could she perhaps see the conductor clearer than we do because she is bypassing the music and the song with the different voices and has sought the conductor..That is exactly what I do..

Old 11-01-2007, 01:42 PM

2,136 posts, read 4,776,174 times
Someone stop the World, I want to get off! Wow! I has been a long time since I have stepped into a thread where the Christians were argueing so much.

Here is my opinion (just in case anyone cares...or not).

I believe the Bible in it's entirety! I believe that God created the world in 6 days. Do I think that those were 6-24 hour days? I don't know, I don't believe that God works in 24 hour sifts. God's time is not my time. Do I believe that Moses parted the sea, that Noah built the Ark and that he transported two of all the animals? Heck, yes. Through God, all things are possible. All we need is faith the size of a mustard seed. (How big is your faith?)

I also believe that there is a reason that the Bible is referred to as The Living Word. I believe that two people can read the same verse and it could pertain to their individual lives differantly. I also believe that I could read the same verse today and next year it might mean something totally different depending on where I am in my life. The world is an everchanging place. I feel certain that God knew that would be the case. Hence, he gave us The Living Word to live by.

JMHO

God bless us all...

Weather...

Old 11-01-2007, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
It may be picking and choosing, but, in my opinion, it makes the bible more useful in today's world.
Just curious.. what do we go by as a guide when we pick and choose?

Food for thought:
God's Word will NEVER give room for the flesh.
And any interpretation that does is inspired by the deceiver.

Yes, no, maybe so? ?????

Last edited by cg81; 11-01-2007 at 02:33 PM.. Reason: add thought

Old 11-01-2007, 02:21 PM

1,250 posts, read 3,490,276 times
I don't have a problem with people seeing the peripheral issues differently (speaking in tongues vs. not speaking in tongues, catholic vs. protestant, traditional music vs. contemporary music), I think these are comfort zone items with people and each can have their place.

I do have problems when people call themselves "Christian" and say they regard the Bible as "a" holy word of God. These are usually the people who minimize the Lordship of the one whose name they use to describe themselves. If you truly believe what the Bible says, you can not question that Jesus was God's son, that he died for your sins (all of them), and that He is holy, perfect, and just. If you don't believe these things, why do you call yourself a Christian?

Old 11-01-2007, 02:59 PM

3,927 posts, read 8,643,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherologist View Post
Someone stop the World, I want to get off! Wow! I has been a long time since I have stepped into a thread where the Christians were argueing so much.

Here is my opinion (just in case anyone cares...or not).

I believe the Bible in it's entirety! I believe that God created the world in 6 days. Do I think that those were 6-24 hour days? I don't know, I don't believe that God works in 24 hour sifts. God's time is not my time. Do I believe that Moses parted the sea, that Noah built the Ark and that he transported two of all the animals? Heck, yes. Through God, all things are possible. All we need is faith the size of a mustard seed. (How big is your faith?)

I also believe that there is a reason that the Bible is referred to as The Living Word. I believe that two people can read the same verse and it could pertain to their individual lives differantly. I also believe that I could read the same verse today and next year it might mean something totally different depending on where I am in my life. The world is an everchanging place. I feel certain that God knew that would be the case. Hence, he gave us The Living Word to live by.

JMHO

God bless us all...

Weather...

Weather,

I do believe you got to the root of the problem here and solved it. The Living Bible is for everyone, and each person has different needs and therefore their needs will be met with the Living Word individually and according to their needs.

Wonderful post there...aiangel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity