Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 07:28 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,792,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
Why can't I hear the music amid all the confusion???

"silence"
The amplifiers aren't plugged in Sorry, couldn't resist.

I don't really see it as confusion. I'm a pretty simplistic, straight-forward kind of guy. My take on this whole entire thread is this:

1) There are Christians who don't believe the Bible as I do.

2) There are Christians who believe the Bible as I do (see my above post)

That's what it basically boils down to. Now, Christians (#2s) just cannot understand how other Christians (#1s) can call themselves Christians and not accept the Bible in its entirety as truth. Therein lies the rub.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2007, 07:55 PM

7,996 posts, read 12,273,833 times
Default Atheist: Up for grabs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mams1559 View Post
The amplifiers aren't plugged in Sorry, couldn't resist.

I don't really see it as confusion. I'm a pretty simplistic, straight-forward kind of guy. My take on this whole entire thread is this:

1) There are Christians who don't believe the Bible as I do.

2) There are Christians who believe the Bible as I do (see my above post)

That's what it basically boils down to. Now, Christians (#2s) just cannot understand how other Christians (#1s) can call themselves Christians and not accept the Bible in its entirety as truth. Therein lies the rub.
Gotchya.

So here's the thing:

Six hours and seven pages later, I have returned to:

Gender roles, gender identities, and gender biases; slavery, legalism, mass confusion and massive debates as regards "picking and choosing." So my question (and June means this with absolute, utter, sincerity and respect!!) in the midsts of all this is:

Why shouldn't June just pick and choose to retire to her zafu?

Zafu=Zen atheist meditation cushion.

Take gentle care,
-June: Lost In Translation

Old 11-01-2007, 07:59 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,886,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
Gotchya.

So here's the thing:

Six hours and seven pages later, I have returned to:

Gender roles, gender identities, and gender biases; slavery, legalism, mass confusion and massive debates as regards "picking and choosing." So my question (and June means this with absolute, utter, sincerity and respect!!) in the midsts of all this is:

Why shouldn't June just pick and choose to retire to her zafu?

Zafu=Zen atheist meditation cushion.

Take gentle care,
-June: Lost In Translation
And you, my dear friend, just NAILED why this bothers me so much.

And the reason you shouldn't do...uh....whatever that is you just asked....is because as the X-Files used to say "The Truth is out there!"

I promise

PS What is a 'zafu'?<---cancel that, I can't read!

Old 11-01-2007, 08:40 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,507,948 times
Actually , June you are sooo right about returning to that zafu..I can understand your reasoning..There is a lack of confusion there, a lack of argument as to what you should meditate about, what you should wear as you meditate, Should there be only one power to meditate to, should there be three different powers to meditate to, or should there be three powers within one power? The questions go on and the answers are many and all claim to be the right answers..I don't think it is not hearing the music, which is different to whoever is reading the notes. It is more like not seeing the forest for the trees..I have heard that in the very large old forests all the trees share the same root...

Old 11-01-2007, 08:44 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,338,677 times
I sincerely hope that if we Christians suddenly find ourselves needed by someone suffering, we don't debate the method of relief, while the poor soul starves to death.
There are many "non-musicians" on this forum that would know exactly what to do.

Last edited by Oakback; 11-01-2007 at 08:46 PM.. Reason: grammar and spelling AGAIN!

Old 11-01-2007, 09:18 PM

1,130 posts, read 2,238,035 times
Default wow ! Alpha

whew!!! I thought when I first saw this you had flipped your wig!!
Then I read on , and I agree.
Scared me there for a minute.
The only thing is I think understanding comes when the Holy Spirit reveals it to you, and I believe ( just my two cents Here) that it is revealed when you are ready or able to apply it to your life. We all comprehend things differently. But if we truly believe Christ to be the Son of God, repent and apply that to our life then the rest will come when we are ready for it.
Just my humble and I do mean humble opinion.

Old 11-01-2007, 09:19 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,792,505 times
You know, I'd like... no love ... to state with 100% absoulte certainty that all Christians agree on the major points, the fundamental tenants, of what Christianity is. Before this forum, I thought I could. Now it's:

Virgin birth? How do you define virgin? Wasn't it just a maiden?
Jesus, the Son of God? I thought he was just a good man filled with God.
Resurrection? Doesn't that just mean spiritually? It can't be bodily.
The Bible the absoulte truth and word of God? How about just a good read?

How naive I was to seriously think that all Christians believed the same, just worshipped differently.

I thank God I am strong in my beliefs and convictions. I'm sure everyone can agree with their own personal statement of faith. I am just terribly saddened that outsiders are missing the message because they only see division and confusion. It's not meant to be this way.

Old 11-01-2007, 10:01 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,507,948 times
I too worry about what the silent readers or outsiders who may be looking for answers here I should have gone shopping this afternoon..I just pray that whatever damage I may have done to anyone who is seriously looking for answers here that God give lead them to the truth.

Old 11-02-2007, 01:01 AM

2,407 posts, read 10,679,707 times
didn't read all the other pages, but well said alpha!

Old 11-02-2007, 01:10 AM

2,407 posts, read 10,679,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post

Galatians 3:28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.

I couldn't find one verse regarding "slaves" in the NT.. and in the OT it was in a prophecy. (Maybe I'm missing something) No, slavery is not ok.... and references in the NT which I found were referring to the servants, that they should please their masters...
δοῦλος is typically translated "slave" by several of the english versions and if you are trying to state that there was no slavery during either OT or NT times, I believe you're mistaken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity