U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 12:45 AM

49 posts, read 72,370 times

Advertisements

they can choose to submit, or they can choose to oppose. both are choices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2007, 01:01 AM

8,567 posts, read 14,781,741 times
Originally Posted by eyeoftheday
Quote:
they can choose to submit, or they can choose to oppose. both are choices.
When it concerns dictators and cult leaders I agree. But when it comes to God?
When it involves an omnipotent being humanity is only as autonomous as the god is compassionate.
Dictators and cult leaders usually have more power than a single individual and dictators and cult leaders have already proven many times over that they often are inconsiderate.
So being omnipotent (or more powerful) doesn’t necessarily means being compassionate.

Old 11-06-2007, 02:03 AM

you seem to have an affinty for characterizing omnipotence. do you think you could tell me where i might go and meet one of them so i can confidently state how they act and feel?

Last edited by eyeoftheday; 11-06-2007 at 03:00 AM..

Old 11-06-2007, 03:21 AM

Quote:
you seem to have an affinty for characterizing omnipotence. do you think you could tell me where i might go and meet one of them so i can confidently state how they act and feel?
You seem to be content with not having any imagination.
I'm a man but with the exception of menstruation and giving birth, I have no trouble imagining what it would be like to be a woman.
Or a black man.
Or a tiger.

When it comes to imagination I agree with Einstein:
Quote:
I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.
Albert Einstein
US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)
Quote Details: Albert Einstein: I am enough of... - The Quotations Page

Old 11-06-2007, 12:30 PM

[quote=Tricky D;1923556] You seem to be content with not having any imagination.
[quote/]

how did you know?

Old 11-06-2007, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by eyeoftheday You seem to be content with not having any imagination.
:

this may be, but im failing to find a connection with how people do and dont have free will.

Old 11-07-2007, 08:01 AM

Quote:
this may be, but im failing to find a connection with how people do and dont have free will.
You've never heard of the American funk band Funkadelic? They've got an album and a song called Free Your Mind...And Your Ass Will Follow. If you can't imagine yourself to be free, how can you then ever be free?
So you've got to free your mind first and your body will follow.
And the key to freeing your mind is imagination.

Quote:
[edit] Free Your Mind...And Your Ass Will FollowThe album's title track is a 10-minute feedback-drenched number (from Eddie Hazel), with a heavy spoken word quality.

It is written by George Clinton, Ray Davis, and Eddie Hazel.

Memorable Lyrics:

"Freedom is free of the need to be free"
"The kingdom of heaven is within"
"I don't know what I feel/I can't feel me, I can't live me, I can't be me/My mind, it does not belong to me/I'm so confused/I'm so confused/I can't hear myself/I can't hear myself calling for help/I can't free my mind/So my ass can't follow"
"Resurrection, free of charge"
The song introduces the subversion of Christian themes explored on later songs, and describes a mystical approach to salvation, in which the "Kingdom of heaven" is within and achievable through freeing one's mind, after which one's ass (perhaps representative of the base and mean aspects of oneself) will follow.

Lead vocals were by George Clinton, Ray Davis, Fuzzy Haskins, Billy Nelson. It is said that Martha Reeves appears on this track as well. (The kingdom of heaven is within)

Free Your Mind...And Your Ass Will Follow - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-07-2007, 01:30 PM

i dont know what album its on but i know on one song before they start playing, George Clinton tells his Guitar player to "Play like your mother just died".

Old 11-07-2007, 08:07 PM

Quote:
i dont know what album its on but i know on one song before they start playing, George Clinton tells his Guitar player to "Play like your mother just died".
True art is all about expressing your emotions. So art is either birthed by imagination or digging deep within you for experienced emotions.

Old 11-09-2007, 02:48 PM

2 posts, read 2,793 times
Default created perfect?

It never said that all things were created perfect-God looked at what he created and said it is good. free will negates this you have the choice of choosing what is good and what is not. You have a choice to follow God or do what you want. What follows in choosing the wrong way is on your choice and yours alone. Just remember we do not live in a perfect world, we live in a fallen and dark world. nounou
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or