Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2013, 08:36 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,017,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
If he commanded you to kill your spouse, children, and all those in your neighborhood, would you?
There are people who HAVE and WOULD. Doesn't prove God told them to do it - but that they followed their twisted interpretations of an ancient script bound by men AFTER Jesus came into the world and died and rose to God. If they believed God required it - they would do it. They would do ANYTHING to escape the dread they have of their imagined eternal and inextinguishable inferno.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2013, 04:01 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,918,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Is that what you want to hear .. "God is hate" or does the scripture say "God hates".

Now you can masquerade it into "is" or simply ignore other scriptures .. it's totally your choice on however it must be to keep the facade.
There is the answer. My experience is that people who want God to hate hate people or groups of people who torque their jaws and they want God to hate them too. This is why the emphasis on plenary inspiration of the whole Bible and the dependence on OT stories and attitudes.

It is sad to see.

Old 05-19-2013, 06:17 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Yes Pleroo ... that is an accusation of the validity of scriptures which originated with God. You are at odds with God's version of the truth.

"because I don't believe God actually did command those things." ..... I certainly did not inspire you to pen this or inspire the scriptures to be written.

Again, you reject the obvious ... but even your own? That's taking it a bite too far.
The "love is the only rule" mindset will never accept the fact that God commanded Joshua to do what he did. It is a story of faith and obedience, and of God delivering on His promise. The command to march around the city and shout at the walls much have sounded weird, and even silly, but Joshua did not question God command let alone accuse God of being unloving, or god forbid, accuse Him of being the Satan like Pcamps did

Old 05-19-2013, 08:58 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,390,383 times
Quote:

"I'm not accusing God, Twin and you know this. I don't believe God commanded anyone to do anything that is at odds with the ONE command that fulfills the law: LOVE
."

When you say:
I don't believe God commanded anyone to do anything [ as recorded in the scriptures specifically] that is at odds with the ONE command that fulfills the law: LOVE.
you are putting on facade by rationalizing away that you're not accusing God by the simple means of wantonly refuse to read the obvious in scriptures.

Enough.
Hey Twin, hope you had a good evening.

I really don't think there's much that can be said here. As long as you continue to believe that every single thing written in the bible is a literal representation of truth, we're going to disagree. You calling my view a facade or a masquerade and saying I'm calling God a hypocrite when I'm not is not truthful on your part Twin.

IF I believed that God had commanded Abraham to kill his son, or Joshua to slaughter an entire city, and said I didn't, then you'd have a point. But that is not the case.

I'll say it again:

I don't believe God commanded anyone to do anything that is at odds with the ONE command that fulfills the law: LOVE. You, on the other hand, do believe that. So, if anyone is calling God a hypocrite, my dear Twin, it is you. I know you don't see it, but you are.

God commands us to love and you believe God commanded people to break that command. That is basically the definition of hypocrisy.

And I will ask you and Finn again:

How is killing your child, or slaughtering an entire city in line with the command to love others as yourself, even your enemies?

Old 05-19-2013, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
You guys like to use the "love-only crowd" label even though you know it's misleading. In this thread alone (and repeatedly on this forum) it has been explained to you that to speak of love could not possibly ignore other things which love ENCOMPASSES and ENGENDERS; those things are ROOTED in love. They are inextricably bound together; you can't have any of the other things, in their divine form, withOUT love. But, you'll likely continue to ignore that and make no attempt to understand it, because ... ? I don't know why you guys do that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I don't recall using such label.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
The "love is the only rule" mindset

Old 05-19-2013, 09:11 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,289,070 times
Quote:
And what a wonderful mindset to live by.

Old 05-19-2013, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnJarber
The "love is the only rule" mindset

Perhaps you would like to misrepresent those who penned these words by including them in that group?

For all the law is fulfilled in one word, [even] in this; You shall love your neighbor as yourself.

and

Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loves another has fulfilled the law... Love works no ill to his neighbour: therefore love [is] the fulfilling of the law.

and

If you really keep the royal law found in Scripture, “Love your neighbor as yourself",
you are doing right.

Old 05-19-2013, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
And what a wonderful mindset to live by.
Well yeah ... you wouldn't be thinking God was asking you to murder anyone.

Old 05-19-2013, 09:15 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,289,070 times
Quote:
Perhaps you would like to misrepresent those who penned these words by including them in that group?

For all the law is fulfilled in one word, [even] in this; You shall love your neighbor as yourself.

and

Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loves another has fulfilled the law... Love works no ill to his neighbour: therefore love [is] the fulfilling of the law.

and

If you really keep the royal law found in Scripture, “Love your neighbor as yourself",
you are doing right.
And Paul called it the more excellent way 1 Corinthians 12:31

Old 05-19-2013, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Well yeah ... you wouldn't be thinking God was asking you to murder anyone.

But the person using the label (Finn in this case) implies that someone who believes that love fulfills the law doesn't have faith.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity