Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 02:54 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,285,273 times

Advertisements

I personally believe it begins in God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2013, 03:15 PM

2,271 posts, read 2,650,273 times
Without reading any of the responses in this thread yet, I wanted to give my own first.

Yes, the Bible declares that life begins at conception. Actually, it tells us that God knows who we are even before that in Jeremiah 1:5, "Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you; I appointed you a prophet to the nations.” And, in Psalm 130:13, 16, King David said, "For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb . . . your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be."

Prior to the 1973 U.S. Supreme Court decision that allowed abortion on demand, developing embryos were considered unborn persons. Now, even a fetus that could survive on its own outside its mother's womb could be aborted, under certain medical circumstances. So, now society no longer considers an unborn child to be a human being.

Society's definition of when conception begins is constantly changing as their values and morals change. Decisions like this are now made more out of "convenience," as it changes it's definition of humanity.

Science shows that human life begins at the time of conception. From the moment fertilization takes place, the child's genetic makeup is already complete. Its gender has already been determined, along with its height and hair, eye and skin color. The only thing the embryo needs to become a fully-functioning being is the time to grow and develop.

God says we are made in His likeness, so, to Him, our value as human beings is conceived even before we are.

Old 05-20-2013, 06:00 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,917,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancient warrior View Post
FYI:

Theol Stud. 1990 Dec;51(4):603-26.
Reflections on the moral status of the pre-embryo.
Shannon TA, Wolter AB.
PMID:11656166[PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

"Given the findings of modern biology, there is no evidence for the presence of a separate ontological individual until the completion of restriction or gastrulation which occurs around three weeks after fertilization.

Entire article:

http://www.ts.mu.edu/readers/content...1.4/51.4.2.pdf
The point I made is stated on page 606 of the study: "In mammalian reproduction an egg and sperm unite to produce a new and almost always genetically unique individual."

The basis for determining "ontological individuality" is quite different.

And a reasonable basis for determining "person" status is even different from that.

Last edited by nateswift; 05-20-2013 at 06:14 PM..

Old 05-20-2013, 07:23 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,378,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plain and simple View Post
Without reading any of the responses in this thread yet, I wanted to give my own first.

Yes, the Bible declares that life begins at conception. Actually, it tells us that God knows who we are even before that in Jeremiah 1:5, "Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you; I appointed you a prophet to the nations.” And, in Psalm 130:13, 16, King David said, "For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb . . . your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be."

Prior to the 1973 U.S. Supreme Court decision that allowed abortion on demand, developing embryos were considered unborn persons. Now, even a fetus that could survive on its own outside its mother's womb could be aborted, under certain medical circumstances. So, now society no longer considers an unborn child to be a human being.

Society's definition of when conception begins is constantly changing as their values and morals change. Decisions like this are now made more out of "convenience," as it changes it's definition of humanity.

Science shows that human life begins at the time of conception. From the moment fertilization takes place, the child's genetic makeup is already complete. Its gender has already been determined, along with its height and hair, eye and skin color. The only thing the embryo needs to become a fully-functioning being is the time to grow and develop.

God says we are made in His likeness, so, to Him, our value as human beings is conceived even before we are.
Does Life Begin at Conception? YES!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-20-2013, 07:45 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,016,600 times
An excellent thread. Of course you will never sway those who tow the line for the right wing religious and political beast. But if terminating a conception is such a grave sin, why aren't the "right to lifers" against 'in-vitro" since many "fused" "babies" get tossed out in the process. Also, the right-wing fanatical circles are CLEARLY filled with unreasonable voices who demand that a woman should be forced to "bake" a baby for 9 months even in cases of rape. To hell with that stupidity. It's a ridiculous notion. I feel that because women uniquely have the power to CARRY a BABY to term that certain men do not like the fact that she has been given that kind of power over LIFE. But that's the way God made us. Eve is the mother of all living, BTW and a woman will shall bruise the serpent's head.

Heartsong - mother of four beautiful beings

Old 05-20-2013, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
An excellent thread. Of course you will never sway those who tow the line for the right wing religious and political beast. But if terminating a conception is such a grave sin, why aren't the "right to lifers" against 'in-vitro" since many "fused" "babies" get tossed out in the process. Also, the right-wing fanatical circles are CLEARLY filled with unreasonable voices who demand that a woman should be forced to "bake" a baby for 9 months even in cases of rape. To hell with that stupidity. It's a ridiculous notion. I feel that because women uniquely have the power to CARRY a BABY to term that certain men do not like the fact that she has been given that kind of power over LIFE. But that's the way God made us. Eve is the mother of all living, BTW and a woman will shall bruise the serpent's head.

Heartsong - mother of four beautiful beings
Simple logic and common sense easily refute your comment.

Your comment is pure opinion and no facts, like those statements I put in bold. Those are sweeping generalities to try to make your argument appear valid.

The statement I underlined is, again, purely your own opinion and not fact.

You also elevate women to god-status (idolatry) by saying that women have "power over life." If you believe in God, as your comment appears to allude, then you'll know that God gave women the PRIVILEGE to carry a baby. God has the power over life. And, if you do believe in God, then you clearly do not believe His word.

You are absolutely entitled to your opinion, by all means. But to state it as though it's fact, when it's clearly not, is not a reasonable argument in your favor.

And what does a woman bruising the serpent's head have to do with any of this? Completely out of context. Don't forget that God made Eve and gave her the ability to carry a baby.

ETA: If you do NOT believe in God, then using Him (when you clearly do not know Him) to try to validate your point shows an intense grasping at straws and is absurd.

Old 05-20-2013, 08:38 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
But if terminating a conception is such a grave sin, why aren't the "right to lifers" against 'in-vitro" since many "fused" "babies" get tossed out in the process.
Good question Heartsong. I've wondered that myself.

I've also wondered why so many seem OK with selective reduction. (I honestly have no idea and would be interested in reading explanations.)

Last edited by DewDropInn; 05-20-2013 at 08:51 PM..

Old 05-20-2013, 08:55 PM

In-vitro fertilization is a controversial issue in Christianity. The Bible doesn't address it so it becomes a matter of conviction from the Holy Spirit.

Because fertilized eggs are living humans there are moral implications to consider. Some couples decide to harvest more eggs than they plan to use, which means that some of the embryos end up being destroyed, or frozen for later use. However, if the couple conceives right away, they may never need to use the frozen embryos, which would then end up being destroyed. The Bible does not give us permission to destroy innocent human life -- this would be murder.

One way to remedy this problem is to only harvest the eggs that the couple plans to implant in the womb. There's a high risk that some of the fertilized eggs will miscarry, but this way it would be a natural process and not a purposeful destruction.

Sometimes, people become impatient and don't want to wait for God's perfect timing and get pregnant by in-vitro fertilization out of impatience. Galatians 5:22 says that yielding to the Holy Spirit will give us patience, so we need to be careful not to take God's work into our own hands when He may have other plans for us. A couple should not get involved in in-vitro fertilization without doing it prayerfully and being mindful of the will of God.

Romans 12:2, "Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is - his good, pleasing and perfect will."

Old 05-20-2013, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I've also wondered why so many seem OK with selective reduction. (I honestly have no idea and would be interested in reading explanations.)
Selective reduction IS abortion. They're one in the same.

Old 05-21-2013, 12:03 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,016,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Good question Heartsong. I've wondered that myself.

That and many "pro-lifers" are also "pro-war" and "pro death penalty". I just let their opinions run off me like water off a duck. It's nothing more than a bunch of tea-baggers with their panties in a big wad making a lot of noise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity