Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 08:56 PM

116 posts, read 546,208 times

Advertisements

I know this Question has been ask before a million times but I have never see it ask like this.
Does the Father, Son and Holy Spirit each have a mind or are they under one mind.
Which is it?

Old 05-20-2013, 09:21 PM

28,088 posts, read 29,930,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeSlave View Post
I know this Question has been ask before a million times but I have never see it ask like this.
Does the Father, Son and Holy Spirit each have a mind or are they under one mind.
Which is it?
I believe they each have a mind, but that they are always in full agreement. That is why they are spoken of as being "one." The fact that when Christ was praying in Gethsemane and mentioned both His will and His Father's will indicates that there is there are two separate minds, two separate wills. He asked that the bitter cup be taken from Him but concluded by saying, "Not my will, but thine be done." In other words, He relinquished His own desires in order that His Father's desires be met. Aside from that one relatively brief time when their wills appeared to be at odds, they have always been two separate minds (three if you count the Holy Spirit) thinking and feeling as one.

Old 05-20-2013, 10:49 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,000,074 times
Quote:
Which is it?
The "Trinity" is said to be "Three Persons in one GOD". Sort of like saying there are "one hundred persons in one U S Senate". In that sense, it makes "One GOD" a committee of three persons.

I've often wondered if I'd like to be a fly on the wall when they're having a heated debate.....

Or a filabuster...

Old 05-20-2013, 11:44 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,014,055 times
Quote:
Which is it?
There are scriptures where Jesus said he only did what he SAW the Father doing. And other scriptures in the New Testament that say we need to RENEW our minds and that "we" (which I take to mean the body of believers) HAVE the mind of Christ. I think every part of the body is needed because no one by him/herself has the fullness of God's Spirit without measure (as Jesus did) - and so 'together' we have the mind of Christ. Also, there are directives in the New Testament that tell us to cast down imaginations and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God. Interesting how people sometimes, after reading Genesis come away and teach that the desire for KNOWLEDGE was evil. But obviously that is not true. However, it can be deceitful and whether or not a desire for knowledge is evil depends on WHY we desire it. Sorry I don't have much to say about the TRINITY except that I always liked that song... Holy Holy Holy, Lord God Almighty. But I'm not Catholic and was never sternly schooled on the importance of believing God is a trinity.

Old 05-21-2013, 01:12 PM

39 posts, read 64,345 times
Quote:
Which is it?
Define Essence and you got your answer. Good luck cause i dont see it', i take my bible literal and dont read in to it. If Christ came back and discussed the nature of the 'triune God(ask the trinitarians why he would start such a conversation about himself, they are good at speculative thought)he would remark to these Trinitarians
"Where did you ever get this idea?. When did i ever say three? You heard me on more than one occasion pronounce 'the lord your god is 1 god)".

Jesus's word add up enough for me not to add onto them, Christians of the first century pronounced 3 parts of God's gift as 3 gods(in stating that trinity is 3 distinct 'Persons' in one 'Essence').

Good day to you and god bless.

Old 05-21-2013, 02:42 PM

28,088 posts, read 29,930,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerzyGiant View Post
Jesus's word add up enough for me not to add onto them, Christians of the first century pronounced 3 parts of God's gift as 3 gods(in stating that trinity is 3 distinct 'Persons' in one 'Essence').
Actually, if it had been the Christians of the first century who were responsible, I'd put more stock into it, since they'd have probably have been guided by the Apostles, who were being led through revelation from the risen Christ. It took over three hundred years for this doctrine to take hold, though. People don't stop and think about that much, but Christianity as a whole changed a lot during its first three or four hundred years.

And what's a "essence" anyway? And if these three distinct "persons" are part of it, how (since they are all divine persons) can they be described as anything but "God" -- both collectively and individually?

Old 05-21-2013, 02:47 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,485,555 times
Quote:
Which is it?
The relationship between God the Father, God the Son (Jesus), God the Holy Spirit is so intertwined that it's beyond human comprehension.

There isn't three Gods ... so in that context there is only one mind of God.

yet

God the Father, God the Son (Jesus), God the Holy Spirit have a mind.

Old 05-21-2013, 05:04 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,537,472 times
The concept of the Trinity is based on what the Bible teaches. The doctrine of the trinity is not stated in one sentence per se, but rather like this. If A=B and B=C then A=C. So we have scriptures that say Jesus is God such as John 1:1 and 1:14 plus Phil 2:5-8. Other scriptures say the Holy Spirit is God such as Romans 8:9-11, 2Cor 3:3 and 17-18 plus Acts 5:3-4. This is the short list. There are more scriptures that support the deity of Christ and the Holy Spirit.

There are a number of scriptures that state the same attribute for God and Jesus. Jesus and God cannot both possess these particular attributes, unless they are one and the same.

Compare what is said about God and Jesus:

As Creator of all things:
God: Genesis 1:1
Jesus: Colossians 1:16

As Savior
God: Isaiah 43:11
Jesus: Titus 3:6

The Alpha and Omega:
God: Revelation 21:6
Jesus: Revelation 22:13

The First and the Last:
God: Isaiah 44:6
Jesus: Revelation 1:17 & 2:8

Every Knee Shall Bow to me:
God: Isaiah 45:23
Jesus: Philippians 2:10-11

Old 05-21-2013, 05:24 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,485,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
The concept of the Trinity is based on what the Bible teaches. The doctrine of the trinity is not stated in one sentence per se, but rather like this. If A=B and B=C then A=C. So we have scriptures that say Jesus is God such as John 1:1 and 1:14 plus Phil 2:5-8. Other scriptures say the Holy Spirit is God such as Romans 8:9-11, 2Cor 3:3 and 17-18 plus Acts 5:3-4. This is the short list. There are more scriptures that support the deity of Christ and the Holy Spirit.

There are a number of scriptures that state the same attribute for God and Jesus. Jesus and God cannot both possess these particular attributes, unless they are one and the same.

Compare what is said about God and Jesus:

As Creator of all things:
God: Genesis 1:1
Jesus: Colossians 1:16

As Savior
God: Isaiah 43:11
Jesus: Titus 3:6

The Alpha and Omega:
God: Revelation 21:6
Jesus: Revelation 22:13

The First and the Last:
God: Isaiah 44:6
Jesus: Revelation 1:17 & 2:8

Every Knee Shall Bow to me:
God: Isaiah 45:23
Jesus: Philippians 2:10-11

Isaiah 9:6

For to us a child is born, to us a son is given; and the government shall be upon his shoulder, and his name shall be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.

Colossians 2:9
For in Christ all the fullness of the Deity lives in bodily form,

Old 05-21-2013, 06:14 PM

116 posts, read 546,208 times
I believe they under one mind but I do not think it really matters which way you believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.