Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 06:44 PM

130 posts, read 226,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Perhaps you could explain to us what a "spiritual gifts test" is?

I have spiritual gifts, but I don't believe I've ever taken a test to determine them!
Sure np . It's just a series of questions u answer. U rate each answer on a scale of 1-10, then u add your points and they fall under each gift category. I'm pretty sure u can take it online, I took mine last year at my local church here in south Sacramento. I'm going to try to locate one online.

Ok here's a link

http://www.kodachrome.org/spiritgift/download.htm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2013, 07:17 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,824,183 times
There are three 'groups' of specific Spiritual Gifts described in Rom. 12, 1 Cor 12 and Eph. 4 - comprised of Service Gifts, Ministry Gifts and Supernatural Gifts. The three primary tests of a true Spiritual Gift (of which every Christian has at least one) are: (1) Is it Scriptural? (2) Does it edify/ strengthen the church? and (3) Is Spiritual fruit evident? (eg; If one believes they have a 'gift' of teaching, ... Are others being taught and growing Spiritually; If one believes they have a gift of Evangelism, ... are a large number of people being saved? Fruit of the Spirit (Gal. 5:22) is NOT the same thing as a Spiritual Gift.

Perhaps the greatest confusion regarding Spiritual Gifts (beyond tongues), is the notion that one's natural talents and abilities ... are their Spiritual Gift/s. The contradiction in this is that 'Spiritual Gifts' are empowered by the indwelling Holy Spirit in believers ... yet, many non-believers who do not have the Holy Spirit, --- have many of the same natural talents and abilities. (Example: one may have a great talent for playing the guitar, which they use in Christian music. But, suggesting that 'guitar playing' is a Spiritual Gift, ignores the many non-Christians who use guitar playing to glorify the world and themselves).

There are many 'Spiritual Gift Tests' available, but, their reliability is somewhat suspect because they tend to focus on what one is good at or enjoys doing. When God is doing the work, neither of these criteria are really necessary ... and IMO often keep people focused on their own talents and abilities ... instead of discovering their true, God-empowered Spiritual Gifts.

Old 05-23-2013, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
There are three 'groups' of specific Spiritual Gifts described in Rom. 12, 1 Cor 12 and Eph. 4 - comprised of Service Gifts, Ministry Gifts and Supernatural Gifts. The three primary tests of a true Spiritual Gift (of which every Christian has at least one) are: (1) Is it Scriptural? (2) Does it edify/ strengthen the church? and (3) Is Spiritual fruit evident? (eg; If one believes they have a 'gift' of teaching, ... Are others being taught and growing Spiritually; If one believes they have a gift of Evangelism, ... are a large number of people being saved? Fruit of the Spirit (Gal. 5:22) is NOT the same thing as a Spiritual Gift.

Perhaps the greatest confusion regarding Spiritual Gifts (beyond tongues), is the notion that one's natural talents and abilities ... are their Spiritual Gift/s. The contradiction in this is that 'Spiritual Gifts' are empowered by the indwelling Holy Spirit in believers ... yet, many non-believers who do not have the Holy Spirit, --- have many of the same natural talents and abilities. (Example: one may have a great talent for playing the guitar, which they use in Christian music. But, suggesting that 'guitar playing' is a Spiritual Gift, ignores the many non-Christians who use guitar playing to glorify the world and themselves).

There are many 'Spiritual Gift Tests' available, but, their reliability is somewhat suspect because they tend to focus on what one is good at or enjoys doing. When God is doing the work, neither of these criteria are really necessary ... and IMO often keep people focused on their own talents and abilities ... instead of discovering their true, God-empowered Spiritual Gifts.
Thank u for that, I appreciate it.
Can we please end the debate about spiritual gifts, and get back on the topic which is about your own spiritual gifts, or one's u have witnessed?

I haven't heard any stories yet, so I'll share a few.
While living in the men's home the first gift I learned I have was prayer. Praying comes naturally, I can pray for extended periods of time, and use this gift to help others, especially while in the home.

I also learned I have the gift of healing. We were out on a moving job one evening, and my good friend Paul stepped on a nail, and it went right into his foot. The next morning he was supposed to have been gone on another job, but didn't go; he could barely walk. I wasn't required to be at that job, and got up later, only to see him eating in a part of the home that wasn't allowed. He told me he couldn't walk, and so I figured I would put my(God's) healing power to the test. I said a prayer for him, and he got right up and started walking around with no limp at all. That was even more shocking because he had been shot in the foot in his past, and had a minor limp ever since I knew him. We were both in awe, it was a miracle!! I was so inspired to read the bible I went to grab my bible and notepad, and came back to the sanctuary. I sat down on the opposite end of the room, and looked over to say something to Paul. Right when I looked up I saw a mist directly in between him and I. It hovered there for a moment, and then flew out the closed window. Needless to say we have both been changed since that event took place.

There was another time during prayer that I noticed a fellow brother was down. I went over to pray for him to get through whatever it was that was causing him to feel the way he did. After prayer was over he came up to me with a huge smile on his face. He told me that he had badly injured his shoulder the night before, and that when I started to pray for him it healed instantly.

The power of the Holy Spirit is real, and I encourage everyone to tap into their gifts. We have been given them for a reason, and it's to help others!! May God bless each and every one of you!!

Old 05-23-2013, 08:10 PM

99 posts, read 107,697 times
The only test if there is one wouldnt be of god . Romans 10:9,10 is the only test if thats what u want to call it u or i have to do. Confess your mouth the lord jesus and believe in your heart that god raised him from the dead thou shall ( the absoulute tence of the verb to be) be saved. Another words born again or born from above. If these verses in gods wonderful matchless word are a test i passed with flying colors have u. Now since im absolutely saved. I have the gift (singular )of holy spirit. I operate all 9 manifestations because ive after at least 6years of instruction,and teaching understand their usage,and profit in the church.all this is useless without charity(the loveof god in the renewed mind in manifestation.

Old 05-23-2013, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterling53 View Post
The only test if there is one wouldnt be of god . Romans 10:9,10 is the only test if thats what u want to call it u or i have to do. Confess your mouth the lord jesus and believe in your heart that god raised him from the dead thou shall ( the absoulute tence of the verb to be) be saved. Another words born again or born from above. If these verses in gods wonderful matchless word are a test i passed with flying colors have u. Now since im absolutely saved. I have the gift (singular )of holy spirit. I operate all 9 manifestations because ive after at least 6years of instruction,and teaching understand their usage,and profit in the church.all this is useless without charity(the loveof god in the renewed mind in manifestation.
It's too bad u haven't tapped into your spiritual gifts. I'm sorry that u feel like u have to be right, and continue to be off topic on this thread. I have the gift of prayer and healing, and I'm sorry if u r envious of that. It took u 6 years of instruction it took me about 2 months to be able to use my gifts (plural). Look up any bible website and it will agree w me. Do u really think it's the Christian way to continually argue w someone who is just trying to get people motivated to use their gifts? I tried to end this argument in my last post, but apparently u have to be right. Can't we just be good Christians, and agree to disagree? It sounds like you're getting upset, and that's not the point of this topic. If u want to debate spiritual gifts, then please feel free to start your own thread. Thank u, and God bless u brother!!

Old 05-23-2013, 10:44 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,180,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vplegend View Post
Yes, I'll post them again.

For I say through the grace given to me, to everyone who is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think, but to think soberly, as God has dealt to each one a measure of faith. -Romans 12:3

But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to each one, for the profit of all. -1 Cor 12:7

Having then gifts differing according to the grace that is given to us, let us use them: if prophesy, let us prophesy in proportion to our faith -Romans 12:6
Those verses don't say that we all have at least one of a list of specific spiritual gifts. They say we are gifted in different ways. Im hesitant to say ONE certain thing is MY thing.

Old 05-24-2013, 05:11 AM

149 posts, read 343,114 times
Default Interesting,More Info Please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vplegend View Post
The gifts are:

exhortation, giving, leadership, mercy, prophecy, service, teaching, administration, apostle, discernment, faith, healing, helps, knowledge, miracles, tongues, tongues interpretation, wisdom, evangelism, pastor, celibacy, hospitality, martyrdom, missionary and voluntary poverty.
Are these gifts listed as such in the Bible?Where can I obtain more information on these?Afew of these I have studied about as I have found decussed in the Bible.I dont belive that most people even realize the gifts that God has given them.Sometimes it takes half a lifetime to discover that something about yourself is unique and most do not have this quality about their personality.
I think that others may notice this in someone even before the gifted one knows this about ones own ownself.

Old 05-24-2013, 12:42 PM

Those u have listed that are not manifestations,or a ministry, or a fruit of the spirit, are gifts of gods grace as someone on here listed from romans 12 8-10 and25 its talking about the renewed mind which is the main context of romans 12 it does mention gods gifts (gods grace to all mankind) has nothing to do with spiritual matters (gift of holy spirit) gifts of gods grace,different than gift of holy spirit.

Old 05-24-2013, 01:08 PM

.just remember you and only u and i and anyone else either stand aproved be for god by rightly deviding the truth or u dont stand approved . Your calling spiritual gifts gifts that arent really spiritual gifts theres 9 plus 5 ministries then theres gods gifts of grace theres adifference u need to look at the word gift on page 318 ina critical lexicon and concordance to the english and greek new testament. I cheer on any believer who operates any or all 9 manifestations,has a gift ministry or operates help or goverments. So lets just keep enjoying gods grace as the family and household of god.

Old 05-26-2013, 01:10 PM

995 posts, read 955,630 times
I had a very dramatic baptism into the Holy Spirit. Soon after the ceremony, my top Chakra lit up, I went into a deep meditation and I became enlightened to the boundlessness of the spirit, then my Chakras lit up REAL strong, one at a time for a couple weeks at a time. During this time I had a totem animal come to me (Raven) and I had MANY lucid prophetic dreams, night after night. Among other things. It has only gotten stronger and more developed since then. I talk to beings in Heaven. I used to talk to Jesus in Heaven the most. He was my spiritual guide. I have since kicked him out. In his place I have an army of every other deity from all walks of life ever created. I have a composite deity that represents all free religions. Buddha, Hindu, Zeus, Odin, Thor, Batman....etc...They are all there for me. All have their unique gift of compassion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity