U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 12:01 AM

19,952 posts, read 12,987,621 times

Advertisements

I'd be curious to see what verses anyone uses to back up this concept? Is it Biblical?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2013, 01:06 AM

17,781 posts, read 8,896,463 times
How about asking for a new heart of flesh; and the renewing of one's mind?

Old 05-24-2013, 02:21 AM
Zur

949 posts, read 623,090 times
It is a very practical way to ask Jesus into our heart. As a little boy I prayed, that my heart is pure and no one should live in it but Jesus alone. When Jesus comes in, He comes as the Holy Spirit. all darkness goes and light comes in. To renew our mind is the sacrifice we have to do and to crucify our flesh also with the help of the Holy Spirit. The one that does not put off fleshly desires and put on the righteousness of Christ becomes a tare or unfruitful branch, which will be burned in the end.

Old 05-24-2013, 03:03 AM

5,965 posts, read 5,573,971 times
Vizio -

It's not so much that it's not biblical but the way it is often taught is that it's this thing you do to secure your seat at the right hand of God (so to speak) -- you pray these 'certain words' repeating after the preacher or the T.V. evangelist - what the modern church calls "The Sinner's Prayer" and what really makes it so corrupt IMO is that a lot of the churches first get you terrified of burning forever in hell and then they say BUT if you just slip up your hand.... walk the isle .... pray the sinner's prayer ... God will SAVE YOU (obviously meaning save you from burning forever in the dreaded abyss). Imagine a wedding like that where the wife is getting married out of sheer terror - forget about love at that point it is not possible to get anywhere near LOVE. No one can be in love with a being they are terrified of. All throughout the Old Testament the lying prophets made God unapproachable and drew a picture of him as being an angry beast ready to devour those who were disobedient. Now the modern church does the same thing with Jesus' name day in and day out - it is just the same thing going on. Using FEAR to gain power over others is true witchcraft.

Now - I am all for asking God to COME IN AND OPEN THE EYES OF MY HEART and give me LIGHT and help me to understand and to distinguish between good and evil and to turn away from evil. Anyone who thinks they are not WEAK because of the flesh deceived himself. We definitely NEED HELP! And we need help to become the children of God. We need power to become the children of God and the good news is God is HAPPY TO HELP! He's not selfish with his grace and love. Whosoever will come as a child (trusting in God's absolute goodness and righteousness) is ready to receive from Him. But the terrified people cannot receive from God because they do not believe him and it is this UNBELIEF in God's goodness and grace that is the unbelief that keeps religious people in bondage to fear and keeps them in the business of finger-pointing and condemning others. They have to do that because it is what their twisted religious ideas force them to do.

Whew - glad I got a chance to get that out. Hope someone benefits from reading it.

Old 05-24-2013, 08:45 PM

21,422 posts, read 29,558,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I'd be curious to see what verses anyone uses to back up this concept? Is it Biblical?
Yes it is Biblical... Romans 10:9-10 "For if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is believing in your heart that you are made right with God, and it by confessing with your mouth that you saved".

Old 05-24-2013, 09:07 PM

11,825 posts, read 9,821,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Meaning from a person who is already has the true faith then asks or a person who does not the true faith then somehow asks?

Old 05-26-2013, 10:46 PM
AT9

691 posts, read 1,008,228 times
It seems to me like a WAY over-simplified and possibly misleading term. It works well for children who can't understand the complexities of theology, but it drives me crazy when this term is directed towards adults.

Old 05-26-2013, 10:56 PM

15,557 posts, read 7,016,415 times
"Of such is the kingdom of Heaven"

Old 05-27-2013, 12:49 PM

8,057 posts, read 7,076,199 times
I've seen several answers, but nothing from the Bible. How bout these.

Jn 3:5 Jesus answered, “I tell you the truth, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless he is born of water and the Spirit.

Ac 2:38 Peter replied, “Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.Tit 3:4 But when the kindness and love of God our Savior appeared,

Tit 3:5 he saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit,Tit 3:6 whom he poured out on us generously through Jesus Christ our Savior, Tit 3:7 so that, having been justified by his grace, we might become heirs having the hope of eternal life.

Paul told the Jailer: "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved" ACts 16:31 Then he and his whole family were baptized. But I couldn't find Paul telling them to pray the sinners prayer and ask Jesus into their hearts. I wonder why????

Old 05-27-2013, 01:08 PM

505 posts, read 461,282 times
Heartsong: God informs us of hell not to terrify us to but to allow us to make the wise choice. It is Satan that uses fear on humanity, not God. In fact, I would say God is obligated to tell us of hell. What if He didn't? It's judgment day for your unsaved loved one and God yells "Surprise, you're going to hell! I didn't tell you before because I didn't want to scare you. You're ok with that aren't you?". When evil uses fear against us our merciful God can use it FOR us. Jude 22,23: "And of some have compassion, making a difference (in their lives and eternal future) v 23- Others SAVE WITH FEAR, pulling themut of the (hell)fire;"

God includes hell in scripture because scripture has the power to save. If you are a witnessing Christian using fear just keep right on doing what you are doing. Using fear to save is Biblical and in God's will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or