Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 10:57 PM

472 posts, read 570,275 times

Advertisements

Christians who take Jesus's message as love others and lead by example, will be loved and will have others learn from them.

Those who have to prove that everyone is wrong, except those who believe in (their version) of what Jesus really said, those who think they know it all and have to prove everyone who doesn't believe exactly as they do -- those are the people who are not being good examples. Those are people who aren't reaching out at all. Those are people who won't accept you unless you're "one of them" first". Those who make a wall between themselves and the supposed non-believers.

Those who are holier than everyone else. They build their own fort and exclude others. Their wall between what is "right" and "wrong". They are not people who inspire us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2013, 09:55 PM

7,507 posts, read 4,397,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97701 View Post
Christians who take Jesus's message as love others and lead by example, will be loved and will have others learn from them.

Those who have to prove that everyone is wrong, except those who believe in (their version) of what Jesus really said, those who think they know it all and have to prove everyone who doesn't believe exactly as they do -- those are the people who are not being good examples. Those are people who aren't reaching out at all. Those are people who won't accept you unless you're "one of them" first". Those who make a wall between themselves and the supposed non-believers.

Those who are holier than everyone else. They build their own fort and exclude others. Their wall between what is "right" and "wrong". They are not people who inspire us.

I have not met a lot of Christians who are like that, but I have heard stories from people and my friends about Christians who act like that. As much as I love my sister, she still needs to work on herself. She does want people to accept Jesus, and she's bold but aggressive when it comes to sharing her faith. I, otoh, feel that I'm not as bold as her but I'm not aggressive like her. You can tell the difference between a religious person and a person who loves Jesus. Christians are still human so they'll have their moments of committing sins, and because of that, they are able to not cast stones and judgments to those who are outside of the church (unbelievers). Religious people are quick to cast stones and judgments because it's all about following the laws and rituals.

One of my concern about Christians is their inability to dialogue with unbelievers. They don't know what to say because it's so "different" for them. No need to exaggerate the difference between you and their lifestyle/choices but rather listen.

Old 06-04-2013, 09:57 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,813,287 times
Real Christians do not publicly identify themselves as such. Maybe the Christians you know are the institutional kind who are more about spreading the word than being the word?

Old 06-04-2013, 10:13 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97701 View Post
In my life I have known Christians I love to be around, and others I would avoid. The ones I avoid, the best way I would describe is trying to be holier than everyone. They are the ones who want to know if a person is Christian, before they even want to know the person.

I think that one reason some Christians aren't nice is that they feel they have to be perfect. They carry a heavy burden. From what I know, Jesus was supposed to have taken that burden off of people, right?

Why is it that love is supposed to be so important, yet it seems that a lot of Christians don't know how to be nice? I think I have part of the answer, but I want to know what you all think.
I agree. Many Christians can be mean. That's because they are judgmental and tend to act superior towards others.

The most judgmental Christians seen to come from legalistic religions. Legalism and judgemant feel mean.

Remove the plank from your own eye before you judge others.

Since that's impossible, simply STOP!

Your judgement gives Christians a bad name. I am tired of it.

Old 06-04-2013, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ho hey! View Post
I have not met a lot of Christians who are like that, but I have heard stories from people and my friends about Christians who act like that. As much as I love my sister, she still needs to work on herself. She does want people to accept Jesus, and she's bold but aggressive when it comes to sharing her faith. I, otoh, feel that I'm not as bold as her but I'm not aggressive like her. You can tell the difference between a religious person and a person who loves Jesus. Christians are still human so they'll have their moments of committing sins, and because of that, they are able to not cast stones and judgments to those who are outside of the church (unbelievers). Religious people are quick to cast stones and judgments because it's all about following the laws and rituals.

One of my concern about Christians is their inability to dialogue with unbelievers. They don't know what to say because it's so "different" for them. No need to exaggerate the difference between you and their lifestyle/choices but rather listen.
My parents really do treat all people with respect and kindness. That contrasts them with those who are out to prove themselves right vs all the "wrong people". I am privileged to have them as my parents.

Old 06-04-2013, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I agree. Many Christians can be mean. That's because they are judgmental and tend to act superior towards others.

The most judgmental Christians seen to come from legalistic religions. Legalism and judgemant feel mean.

Remove the plank from your own eye before you judge others.

Since that's impossible, simply STOP!

Your judgement gives Christians a bad name. I am tired of it.
Yes, thanks

Old 06-04-2013, 11:31 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,033,072 times
"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction."

Blaise Pascal
1623-1662
French mathematician, physicist, inventor, writer and Christian philosopher

Old 06-04-2013, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction."

Blaise Pascal
1623-1662
French mathematician, physicist, inventor, writer and Christian philosopher
Thanks!

Old 06-05-2013, 04:54 AM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
Is it wrong to warn some one of impending danger? Or is it wrong not to warn some one of impending danger?
Some people are offended by the truth, just like they were offended by the words of Jesus Himself, and they will find your words judgmental (no matter how nicely you phrase them), and some go as far as accusing you of being mean etc. They do not want to hear your warnings, and they do not want you to talk about sin. Jesus said : "This is the verdict: Light has come into the world, but people loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil". Such people are best left alone. God will work on them on His own time. I used to be offended by the message, no matter how it was presented, so I know what I am talking about. I'd like it even less if people tried to sell me a sugar-coated version, because I'd know they are not even being truthful, and trying to BS me.

Jesus knew this would happen, but do not be discouraged. He still wants you to talk about Him.

Talk to those who are willing to listen, but don't push the message to those who reject you outright.

This is what Jesus told his disciples when He sent them out to spread the word:

Matt 10:14 If anyone will not welcome you or listen to your words, leave that home or town and shake the dust off your feet. Truly I tell you, it will be more bearable for Sodom and Gomorrah on the day of judgment than for that town.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 06-05-2013 at 05:50 AM..

Old 06-05-2013, 05:00 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,273,602 times
Unfortunately man are offensive with what they think? Is the truth, then are offended themselves when they are told that if they want to know what the truth is, look at the Life of Jesus Christ. The Life that Lived the truth. He didnt come to point out sin by quoting sin scriptures @ the people, but to the reveal the heart of the Father.

He came and preached peace to you who were far away and peace to those who were near.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity