U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-06-2008, 07:47 AM

4,437 posts, read 5,866,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianinark View Post
I see by your profile that you are a JW. While I am not a JW I do agree with you on this.

I can't understand how so many can ignore what Paul said in Galatians 4.9-11 " But now that you have come to know God, or rather to be known by God, how is it that you turn back to the weak and worthless elemental things, to which you desire to be enslaved all over again? You observe days and months and seasons and years. I fear for you, that perhaps I have labored over you in vain. "
I have heard this explained that Paul is refering to Jewish Holy Days, but why would he speak against them, but not against pagan holy days ?
There is no authority for observing either Christmas or Easter, in the scriptures. In fact both were added long after the beginning of the church that Christ bought with His own blood.
Some say Easter is mentioned.... but it is a misstranslation of Passover (Acts12.4 KJV). Every other translation ( that I have seen) say 'Passover', even the Confraternity !
Naturally the Catholic religion observe them. After all, they are the ones who added it to their religion !
Many of my brethren use the explanation that they do not celebrate it as a 'Holy Day'. I am sorry, but I consider that a cop out. Observing the legal hoiday as a family get together, is one thing , adding all the trappings of the pagan/catholic observance is another! People are going to judge you by what they see, not what you say.

Ok... I guess I'll have to throw away that Christmas card I was going to send you...

too bad.. it was a really good card...

Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2008, 08:10 AM

3,981 posts, read 5,267,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
Ok... I guess I'll have to throw away that Christmas card I was going to send you...

too bad.. it was a really good card...

Ha ha...verrry funny ! I used to send 'season's greetings' cards, but have quit doing that also. There are some very pretty ones, and it was one way to keep in touch with long ago friends, and inseen relatives.
BTW, I always enjoy the cards I still get, unless they are pics of 'santa claus'.

I started a new tradition with my granddaughters. I give them Thanksgiving gifts, because I am thankful to have them. I think their maternal grandparents are now copying me.

Old 06-06-2008, 08:26 AM

2,215 posts, read 3,657,707 times
I have been criticized my whole life for choosing not to involve myself w/ nationalistic or pagan holidays. My children have the same problem. But really, it all boils down to what makes YOU feel closer to God. The God I know and love from my study of the bible does not approve of pagan religious practices and is a 'jealous' God, exacting 'exclusive devotion'.

But though we explain our feelings fromthe scriptures and I feel make a very reasonable case for ourselves, we are openly accused of denying our children pleasures as if we have some cruel agenda. Very sad. My kids aren't denied anything. And my eight year old, who even knows from the bible why he doesnt celebrate holidays, does not feel left out in the slightest. He enjoys telling the other kids that he gets presents all year round....just 'because' .

Old 12-27-2011, 06:13 PM

7,472 posts, read 7,818,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
Well both Easter and Christmas are Holy Days of Obligation in the Catholic church. These days mean that Catholics are required to go to mass and avoid any unnecessary work on these days. So yeah I'm obligated...but I love them anyway so it's no big deal.
Easter always coincides with a Sunday, and all Sundays are also "holy days". There are a few other little-known holy days throughout the year - All Saint's Day (November 1st), Feast of the Immaculate Conception (December 8th), Solemnity of Mary, Mother of God (January 1st), and the Assumption (August 15th). Although I try to remember and go to masses on those days, it can often be hard, especially because the reminders are few.

Old 12-27-2011, 06:17 PM

4,856 posts, read 1,725,292 times
There is no requirement in the Bible to worship on any particular day. Christmas and EAster though are generally favorites because people want to worship and thank God and celebrate his gifts to all mankind, not as a requirement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity