Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 11:32 PM

115 posts, read 131,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
I know, I am full of it ...
But if you were not so cynical.
You might see things from a different perspective.
I don't know WHAT you are full of. I can't help being cynical about someone who is constantly being negative.

Last edited by Stan53; 06-03-2013 at 11:42 PM..

Old 06-03-2013, 11:34 PM

115 posts, read 131,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Then say "giving God the credit" . . . because God's glory is infinite and you can't GIVE Him ANY.
The Bible uses the word GLORY, why do you have a problem with that word?

Anytime we obey God and do as He tells us to do it affirms who He is and confirms to Him, ALL Glory is attributed.

Old 06-03-2013, 11:35 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Um, the phrase "give God the glory" refers to giving God the credit for anything we might accomplish, knowing that it is in God's strength that we do what we do. It's not about somehow increasing God's glory.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Right on.
I repeat:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Then say "giving God the credit" . . . because God's glory is infinite and you can't GIVE Him ANY.

Old 06-04-2013, 04:18 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan53 View Post
The Bible uses the word GLORY, why do you have a problem with that word?

Anytime we obey God and do as He tells us to do it affirms who He is and confirms to Him, ALL Glory is attributed.
You cannot give God, what He already is. He is the glory, He is enthroned in glory, the glory is His. All there is for us to do is behold it.

But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord. 2 Cor 3:18

Old 06-04-2013, 06:19 AM

65 posts, read 76,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Do apples hanging on a tree make it an apple tree? Suppose we take the apples off and put oranges on it? Does it become an orange tree?
I think there is somewhere Jesus said that the tree that does not bear fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire.I wonder what that meant!

Old 06-04-2013, 07:10 AM

33,230 posts, read 26,447,455 times
Definition of Glorify: To praise, honor, exalt.
Matt. 5:16 [Jesus speaking] "Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven.

1 Cor. 6:20 For you have been bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body.

1 Cor. 10:31 Whether, then, you eat or drink or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.

Psalm 86:12 I will give thanks to You, O Lord my God, with all my heart, And will glorify Your name forever.

HELP'S Word-studies
Cognate: 1392 doksázō (from 1391 /dóksa, "glory") – glorify; properly, to ascribe weight by recognizing real substance (value). See 1391 (doksa).

"Glorifying (1392 /doksázō) God" means valuing Him for who He really is. For example, "giving (ascribing) glory to God" personally acknowledges God in His true character (essence).
Strong's Greek: 1392. ?????? (doxazó) -- to render or esteem glorious (in a wide application)

Last edited by Michael Way; 06-04-2013 at 07:35 AM..

Old 06-04-2013, 08:37 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacegiver View Post

"Anyone who acts in truth comes to the light so their
deeds
are revealed as works of God."
I like that sentence.
I often don't even hear the words or feel the heart in some followers of Jesus...
but they give to charities and would stop to help change a lady's tire.
I believe they are trying and really desire to be 'good' and please their Father.
I do.

But, to act in truth would mean to me one would have to experience truth.
Experience.
One could not help but act 'wonderfully' thus revealing or reflecting the 'works of God'.

Then, why don't people feel their genuine connection to God...?....not for not trying
to do good deeds, bless their lil hearts.
But, unless one is filled with the Presence of God....not just doing
what the Bible says, visiting widows and such,then it's like 'fakin it til ya make it'
Which is sweet and all...
But, I say don't try to be good, feel what true Goodness is and it just comes naturally, it becomes
who you are.

Ah, another beautiful morning filled with possiblitities....xxoo.

Old 06-04-2013, 08:44 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
And "bearing fruit" is all about NOT stopping at "salvation."
Very astute.

Old 06-04-2013, 08:56 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,192,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musa O View Post
I think there is somewhere Jesus said that the tree that does not bear fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire.I wonder what that meant!
It means just that---that the tree that doesn't bear fruit isn't really useful. If someone claims to be a Christian and they don't bear fruit, they are not really Christians. Just like a fig tree that doesn't produce figs isn't a fig tree, the Christian that doesn't produce works is not really a Christian.

Remember....it's not that we BECOME a Christian by doing good things....but if we claim to be a Christian we should have something to validate the claim.

Old 06-04-2013, 11:39 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Seems to me that a barren fig tree is still a fig tree. And bearing fruit would not be its sole use. It can provide shade, shelter for animals and nourishment for insects. Its roots bind soil and shed leaves add nutrients to the earth.

Few of the Creator's gifts have only one purpose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity