Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 01:33 PM

5,728 posts, read 3,248,892 times

Advertisements

Remember that the Lutheran church is split up into four denominations in this country.

ECLA,
Missouri Synod
WELS Synod
and I forget the fourth name.

ELCA is the most liberal and doesn't follow the Bible anymore in my opinion.
They are aligned with the Episcopal church as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
but what is their opinion of how one is saved???

I'll try to make this as short and to the point as possible. I was raised in a Baptist church. Their belief is that to be saved, one must confess their sins and ask Jesus to come into their hearts. Baptism follows.

I left the Baptist church years ago because I thought they were a bit strict and condemning on many issues and I stayed out of church for 30+ years.

A few years ago, I wanted to get myself right with God and so I did. I have been attending a Church of Christ church. I assumed they believed the same way I did because the pastor teaches the scripture and as long as someone does that, I'm okay with it. Now, for some reason, I'm reading their belief system and there seems to be a difference in opinions of salvation. I've never given this much thought until today but I'm going to ask a couple of my C of C friends what their opinion of salvation is.

I was invited to a Lutheran church and I attended it yesterday for the first time. I've read up some on how the Lutherans believe and I'll probably end up talking to the pastor also. The Lutherans believe, (from what I'm understanding) that salvation is obtained through baptism.

I'm a bit confused as I've always thought that there is only one way to get salvation and that is to ask forgiveness and invite Christ into your heart but these other two denominations call themselves Christians and they seem to think differently on salvation.

So the question is, how do we know we have true salvation? I know I do. Could all these denominations be right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2013, 01:36 PM

the bible doesn't say faith alone. Even the book of James in the Bible states that faith alone is wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Being a Lutheran pastor for about 20 years, I'm fairly knowledgeable about our doctrine, so I will try to answer your question. The Bible teaches that if one is to be saved, he is saved by faith and faith alone in Jesus Christ. Jesus is God, the Savior of the world who paid for the sins of all mankind on the cross and rose again on Easter to proclaim his victory over sin, death and the grave. God's word promises that all who believe in Him will be saved. That means Christians have to live in faith and die in faith. This salvation is communicated to us through the word of God, the Gospel which proclaims this free gift of salvation through faith in Jesus. Baptism is also commanded for all Christians by Jesus.

Jn 3:5 Jesus answered, “I tell you the truth, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless he is born of water and the Spirit. Jn 3:6 Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit gives birth to spirit. Jn 3:7 You should not be surprised at my saying, ‘You must be born again.’

So coming to faith is not just a matter of the mind but the heart and soul, your whole being, in which you are given a Spiritual birth by the HOly Spirit. Since you have already been baptized, (I assume this was a baptism in the name of the FAther Son and Holy Spirit) there is no need for a second baptism. So for adult converts, Baptism is still commanded and confirms the new Birth in the Holy Spirit, but only if they have not already been baptized. For little children, we automatically baptize, for a number of reasons, but Jesus commands baptism for all nations, meaning all people regardless of age. However, be aware that the Bible does not teach baptism guarantees ultimate salvation to heaven. Christians can and do fall away and there are many warnings in the New Testament about this.

I tried to be brief in answering your questions. If I can help you further PM me. I would add one word of warning. Be careful about the denomination of the Lutheran church. ELCA is very liberal and denies basic fundamental doctrines. Missouri, Wisconsin Synod and many others are pretty conservative and will stick pretty close to what the scriptures teach. God Bless.

Old 06-14-2013, 01:37 PM

which denomination of the lutheran church thought?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
No you are incorrect Lutheran church believes in "Salvation by faith through grace". A biblical concept. The Lutheran church was the first Protestant church. It is Christian and it is solidly grounded in scripture.

Old 06-14-2013, 02:44 PM

796 posts, read 858,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
the bible doesn't say faith alone. Even the book of James in the Bible states that faith alone is wrong.
James applies to whom it was written. Read James 1:1 and tell me who that is.

Old 06-14-2013, 02:58 PM

794 posts, read 846,177 times
Quote:
Romans 5:19 "For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one man shall many be made righteous."

Once you believe that Jesus' obedience has made you righteous then that will produce right living. Right believing produces right living. Faith without works is referring to people who profess they are saved but they don't actually believe in Jesus.

Old 06-14-2013, 03:01 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,485,555 times
Quote:
Remember that the Lutheran church is split up into four denominations in this country.

ECLA,
Missouri Synod
WELS Synod
and I forget the fourth name.

ELCA is the most liberal and doesn't follow the Bible anymore in my opinion.
They are aligned with the Episcopal church as well.
The fourth is the Evangelical Lutheran Synod (ELS).
and your not alone about when it comes to the ELCA.

Old 06-14-2013, 03:12 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,485,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
No you are incorrect Lutheran church believes in "Salvation by faith through grace". A biblical concept. The Lutheran church was the first Protestant church. It is Christian and it is solidly grounded in scripture.
Most Lutheran churches teach "Salvation by faith through grace" and yet acknowledge that we still are expected to
"let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven." or
“No one lights a lamp and hides it in a clay jar or puts it under a bed. Instead, they put it on a stand, so that those who come in can see the light."

Old 06-14-2013, 05:45 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,930,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by balunman View Post
My personal view is that someone not capable of understanding God and able to exercise faith are welcomed into Heaven. I don't care to speculate on the how and why.
That's pretty much my opinion, too. Thanks.

Old 06-14-2013, 07:43 PM

2,271 posts, read 2,649,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
So the question is, how do we know we have true salvation? I know I do. Could all these denominations be right?
I think it's more productive to for each person to examine their own lives and leave denominationalism out of it because no denomination has 100% correct theology. Not one. On Judgment Day no one will be asked what denomination they belonged to and no one will be able to blame any denomination for their lack of salvation. We are to seek God for our salvation and we alone will be responsible.

As for your question regarding how we can know we have true salvation, I fully endorse the following video as sound and biblical. This man's preaching is outstanding. It's the truth without mincing words.

Are You Saved? Take The Test by Shane Idleman

Old 06-14-2013, 08:12 PM

796 posts, read 858,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plain and simple View Post
I think it's more productive to for each person to examine their own lives and leave denominationalism out of it because no denomination has 100% correct theology. Not one. On Judgment Day no one will be asked what denomination they belonged to and no one will be able to blame any denomination for their lack of salvation. We are to seek God for our salvation and we alone will be responsible.

As for your question regarding how we can know we have true salvation, I fully endorse the following video as sound and biblical. This man's preaching is outstanding. It's the truth without mincing words.

Are You Saved? Take The Test by Shane Idleman
I didn't watch the video. I did check him out and the doctrinal statement on his church web-page seems spot on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity