Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 11:00 AM

1,932 posts, read 4,780,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by satanoid View Post
Anyone who hates you because of who you love is a bad person - end of story.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sindey View Post
Who someone chooses to love is not anybodys business. If someone who is gay finds love that is wonderful and beautiful. Bigots should just leave them alone.
Just the fact that someone can be happy if they are straight or gay is a great thing.
Life is to darn short to worry about someones sexual preferences.
I really wasn't going to post a reply in this thread. However, the two above quotes changed my mind. For the record, I do not hate anyone! Hate is the same as any other foul 4-letter word in my house. For me and mine, hate = murder. I do not hate anyone nor do I tollerate hatred towards anyone.

I am a bible-believing Christian who does not approve of homosexual behavior. I know and interact with homosexual people. I treat them as I treat anyone else. Politely, with respect and Christ-like love.

However, do not expect me to approve of or turn a blind eye to behavior I do not agree with or condone. I am extremely offended that because my point of view is disapproving of homosexual behavior, I'm told I'm a bad person and a bigot!?! Nothing can be further from the truth! Now who is being judgemental and full of hatred? Do not force me to accept that which I cannot. Homosexual behavior goes against my beliefs and I should not (and will not) be made to behave as if I accept their behavior. That does not make me a bigot or a bad person!

I don't force anyone to believe the way I do or what I believe in. I offer what I believe compassionately and openly to any who will listen. If they don't want to listen, I dust off my feet and move on. There's nothing I can do to force my beliefs on anyone else. Only God can change hearts.

PS - Mankind is not and never will be perfect. Romans 3:10 - As it is written: "There is no one righteous, not even one;

Old 11-06-2007, 11:31 AM

4,440 posts, read 9,045,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mams1559 View Post
I am extremely offended that because my point of view is disapproving of homosexual behavior, I'm told I'm a bad person and a bigot!?!
Mams I'm not picking on you but it is ironic that you are offended by this. Think about it. How often have gay men been compared to pedophiles? Even NAMBLA was mentioned on this board once in relation to a Gay Pride parade..

Moderator cut: perilously close to being a personal attack

I know I know.. its not differing from their own... its differing from the "word of God".

I'm fine that you oppose it.. but don't be offended. Its somebody else's opinion.. thats it.

Last edited by june 7th; 11-06-2007 at 02:33 PM..

Old 11-06-2007, 11:35 AM

7,507 posts, read 17,124,223 times
How selfcentric. No one has called you a bigot. No one said all Christians are bigots. Satanoid said people who hate are bad people. S/he didn't say, "Mams hates gay people." How you've tied this into yourself is beyond me and is typical of so many religious people that it gets really old, really fast.

I don't know your stand on many views. It may be that you are a bigot, but it may not be.

All humanity is perfect. Austin (me) 1:1 says: "Hear ye, for all persons are perfect the way they are." I amaze myself often with just how perfectly amazing I am.

Old 11-06-2007, 11:38 AM

3,684 posts, read 11,794,347 times
Quote:
I am a bible-believing Christian who does not approve of homosexual behavior. I know and interact with homosexual people. I treat them as I treat anyone else. Politely, with respect and Christ-like love.
For this reason (see the bolded part) is why those quotes you were responding to were not directed at you.

Unfortunately there are many people who don't treat these people well and with love. Those people are as hateful as people were to black people when segregation was the norm, and bigot was actually the nicest word one could use to describe them. There are many things we will not agree on as far as personal behavior goes, and that's fine. But when you cross that line from not approving to shoving in someone's face, making them feel badly for it, and trying to interfere with their lives because of it then it's not a matter of simply not approving anymore then it is indeed hate. Understand?

Old 11-06-2007, 11:57 AM

4,440 posts, read 9,045,479 times
Hey.. I'm a bigot against the University of Alabama football team.. See.. I admit it.. I'm a bigot.

Old 11-06-2007, 12:28 PM

Let's see if this definintion fits:

Creed - is homosexual behavior a creed?
Opinion - is homosexual behavior an opinion?
Belief - is homosexual behavior a belief?

I don't see how disagreeing with or not condoning someone's actions = bigotry. Because I disagree with and do not condone murder, am I a bigot to all murderers?

Old 11-06-2007, 12:39 PM

7,507 posts, read 17,124,223 times
No, but I bet you believe it's a behaviour. So use that definition.

Old 11-06-2007, 12:47 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,366,745 times
Quote:
Let's see if this definintion fits:

Creed - is homosexual behavior a creed?
Opinion - is homosexual behavior an opinion?
Belief - is homosexual behavior a belief?

I don't see how disagreeing with or not condoning someone's actions = bigotry. Because I disagree with and do not condone murder, am I a bigot to all murderers?
For the sake or argument: yes, you are a bigot to murderers.
Just like big thirsty admits to being a bigot to U. of Alabama's football team and jabogitlu is a bigot to people who believe in aliens.

The word has negative connotations - that's not the word's fault.

Old 11-06-2007, 12:50 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,221,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
For the sake or argument: yes, you are a bigot to murderers.
Just like big thirsty admits to being a bigot to U. of Alabama's football team and jabogitlu is a bigot to people who believe in aliens.

The word has negative connotations - that's not the word's fault.
Hmmm... maybe we should be a bigot about some things...

Old 11-06-2007, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
Would you tolerate them in your church? If not.. probably a bigot.
There are homosexuals who attend my church. In fact, I drive the church van and pick him up and bring him to church. He's a good guy. But still, it comes down to the behavior I don't condone, not the person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity