U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 11:06 AM

20,516 posts, read 10,908,951 times
It's a way to ask for God's blessing and protection. It's an acknowledgement of Christ's passion.

I notice more and more Protestant athletes making the sign of the cross before a big play or when they take the field.

OP: It can be also be done using the thumb to trace the lines of the cross on the forehead. Many people do that in public when they want to be less "in your face" about their religion i.e., a business setting. I've also seen it done as a blessing on another Christian. I lived in a Hispanic community and it was common to see mothers making the sign of the cross on their child's forehead before he went to school or off somewhere. I think it's a wonderful gesture from mother to child.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2013, 11:11 AM

1,592 posts, read 837,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
That's what I meant by derogatory about keeping away vampires, ex husbands, ex wives, bratty kids, mean bosses, etc. The only time I've seen the cross made has been something funny like this.

Or like my deleted comment, which was clearly a joke, and was obviously NOT "off-topic".

Old 06-11-2013, 11:27 AM

7,064 posts, read 11,295,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
Or like my deleted comment, which was clearly a joke, and was obviously NOT "off-topic".
You had a deleted comment?

Old 06-11-2013, 12:12 PM

5,878 posts, read 2,595,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Episcopalians do it. Took me forever when I started attending an Episcopal church to figure out at which points I was supposed to do this.

It's a ceremonial practice, not a requirement for anything.

Doesn't keep away vampires.
Funny, the comment about the vampires because all the Catholic stuff makes me think of Dracula films - it's just terribly foreign to me who was raised a Protestant. They have a lot of very mysterious looking stuff in the Catholic church and I've always thought it tended to make God seem scary and not user friendly.

Old 06-11-2013, 12:15 PM

5,878 posts, read 2,595,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I associate it most soccer players, who also like to pray and look to heaven before and after scoring a goal. it might be also an eastern orthodox thing, but I don't think its typically done by protestants in America.
I think you're right that it is typically not done by protestants in America. To me it is up there with wearing garlic around the neck and other superstitious practices. But if people want to do it - who am I to object?

Old 06-11-2013, 12:42 PM

1,592 posts, read 837,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
You had a deleted comment?

Yes. Currently shown between posts 2 & 3. You repped me for it with, "Cute. I like that."

Old 06-11-2013, 01:06 PM

3,614 posts, read 2,504,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
Funny, the comment about the vampires because all the Catholic stuff makes me think of Dracula films - it's just terribly foreign to me who was raised a Protestant. They have a lot of very mysterious looking stuff in the Catholic church and I've always thought it tended to make God seem scary and not user friendly.

any catholic would be glad to explain our mysterious stuff to you---as to signing of the cross--it's not a joke to most catholics but an aknowledgement of our creator and His Trinity

Old 06-11-2013, 03:50 PM

2,024 posts, read 981,032 times
In Catholic Mass immediately before the reading of the Gospel,
many make a mini sign of the Cross at
the forehead, lips, and heart, saying inwardly, "may the Word of the Gospel
be in my thoughts, speech, and heart"...
Why Do Catholics Cross Their Head, Lips, and Heart at Mass? - LifeTeen.com for Catholic Youth

Old 06-11-2013, 05:50 PM

7,064 posts, read 11,295,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
Yes. Currently shown between posts 2 & 3. You repped me for it with, "Cute. I like that."
Oh that. I thought it was funny. I saw it somewhere else on another website. Wonder why it was deleted.

Old 06-11-2013, 06:07 PM

7,975 posts, read 10,170,597 times
The sign of the cross is not a solely Catholic practice. The Orthodox and Anglican churches do it. Some of the more traditoinal Lutheran churches do as well.

CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA: Sign of the Cross
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity