Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 08:30 PM

18,249 posts, read 16,904,903 times

Advertisements

Somebody please explain this to me:

Matthew 24:36
Quote:
Darby Bible Translation
But of that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of the heavens, but my Father alone.
Quote:
Douay-Rheims Bible
But of that day and hour no one knoweth, not the angels of heaven, but the Father alone.
Quote:
American King James Version
But of that day and hour knows no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only.
Now check out the SAME verse from three other translations:

Quote:
English Revised Version
But of that day and hour knoweth no one, not even the angels of heaven, neither the Son, but the Father only.
Quote:
Weymouth New Testament
"But as to that day and the exact time no one knows--not even the angels of heaven, nor the Son, but the Father alone.
Quote:
GOD'S WORD® Translation (©1995)
"No one knows when that day or hour will come. Even the angels in heaven and the Son don't know. Only the Father knows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2013, 03:04 AM

1,821 posts, read 2,332,882 times
Where's your point? What's wrong with this verse?

Old 06-16-2013, 04:51 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,273,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenM View Post
Where's your point? What's wrong with this verse?
As far as I can see, the son doesn't get a mention in the first 3 translations .

Am I right Thrill ?. What do I win ?.

Old 06-16-2013, 05:00 AM

9,689 posts, read 10,008,103 times
The time will come which the Father God only knows as the condition will be a satanic time were the antichrist will be trying to destroying the earth , as the poor and Religious will be condemned by everyone , and faith in God will be almost absent , ...So by this absent of faith the devil is given his authority were the martyrs of Christians of ancient Rome would be minuscule to the challenge of the martyr for the poor and religious of the times before Jesus Second coming .....Then at a time only the Father God which all the trinity will be in agreement , where God will stretch out His hand and say ``ENOUGH``...... Then the dispatch of God`s Holy Angel with Jesus blood judgments will come to the earth and clear the earth of the mark of the beast the number of the beast , and the authority of those who worship the image of the beast, and Then bring complete renewal in the earth , which will take three and a half years to rip the scourge out, all in the sight of the lamb Lord Jesus Christ............ So here is satan and his followers --

Old 06-16-2013, 08:16 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,912,231 times
So, we are all aware that different manuscripts have different content in relatively minor variations. The Textus Recepticus was the major source for earlier translations, but most now use Sinaiticus as an earlier text. Why later manuscripts did not include the "Son" reference may be debated. How much difference does it make?

Old 06-16-2013, 08:23 AM

796 posts, read 858,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Somebody please explain this to me:

Matthew 24:36

Now check out the SAME verse from three other translations:
They come from two different lines of manuscripts. They all say the same thing. "Only God Know's" Nothing to explain.

Old 06-16-2013, 08:27 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,824,183 times
Your continued attempts to tear down the Bible based on this type of 'proof' ... only tend to reveal your own bias. Do you have a point beyond that?

Old 06-16-2013, 08:46 AM

33,221 posts, read 26,412,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
No one is touching this one. I appear to have struck a nerve with the Bible-toting Fundamentalists.
No, you did not strike a nerve. You know full well that this verse has been used numerous times on this forum by those who deny the deity of Jesus Christ in an attempt to show that He is not God. And this verse has been explained numerous times. You are the first I think to attempt to try and use it to deny the inerrancy of the Bible.

Your motives seem clear. You are not interested in explanations. You are simply attempting to discredit the Bible and to attack fundamentalism and fundamentalists. Moderator cut: past reference that is not permitted in this thread

Last edited by june 7th; 06-16-2013 at 09:17 AM..

Old 06-16-2013, 09:12 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,708,541 times
Default I'm not a Fundamentalist

I'm not a Fundamentalist, but this particular argument, if you want to call it that, is just a bunch of baloney. There are many more interesting contradictory verses in the Scriptures, not the least of which are between the sayings of Jesus and Paul.

However, trying to find contradiction in the words of Jesus between TRANSLATIONS, for heaven's sake, is smoke and mirrors. I disagree with Fundamentalist views of the Scripture, but I have no need or desire to nitpick for their beliefs either. The time to challenge is when those Scriptures are used to attack others.
In effect, OP, you are doing the same thing that many of them attempt.

Old 06-16-2013, 09:16 AM

18,249 posts, read 16,904,903 times
My point is that 50% of translations exempt Jesus from not knowing the Father's future plans. The other 50% include Him with the angels not knowing. So which is it? Does He know the day and hour or doesn't He?

Somewhere along the way in the early part of the Church the copiers apparently had a problem with Jesus displaying a lack of divinity in not knowing so they obviously deleted the phrase "nor the Son".

I'm shocked people find this of little or no relevance.

Lastly, my point is not to discredit the Bible, it's just to show that it is a unique book with flaws that the Fundies are absolutely unwilling to acknowledge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity