U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 12:08 PM

86 posts, read 262,754 times
Matthew 5:27-28. Whether it is the thought or the action, it is sin.

See, this is exactly the problem I have Biblical literalists. What kind of God is one who judges a thought as an action? If that IS the case, then I am a hedonist, adulterer, murderer... make that MASS murderer, thief, and an all around no-gooder.

The Bible was written by men thousands of years ago, and men have interpreted and misinterpreted it for centuries. I'd rather be a good person by societal standards and my own personal morals (which are mostly in-step with Christian morals anyway).

Old 11-06-2007, 12:12 PM

8,368 posts, read 16,064,143 times
I don't even have a sex drive. It sure makes it easy to be moral and clean from fornication!

Old 11-06-2007, 02:22 PM

2,895 posts, read 5,404,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryingtofigureitout View Post
Do you find yourself giving in to temptation? Do you imagine your with someone else?
Yes!!! Jesus the other is " travelling with the guy on Food Network "Unrapped"; I love the good eats that they have at the many places they travel, especially the Chocolate confectionaries"
No i can honestly say that I gave been delivered from this, by the Power of the Blood of Jesus ; Haven't always been this way though, I'm glad i'm not now

Old 11-06-2007, 03:38 PM

2,181 posts, read 3,728,429 times
By posting that passage from Matthew, I was merely stating that there are some times when the thought is considered equally as sinful as the deed. I didn't mean to imply that ALL instances of thought were equally as sinful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
Good point... but what is acting on the thought? Maybe we do that more often than we realize...

Evil thoughts and desires will come to us... no matter what. But do we recognize them as evil and resist them, or entertain them? If we give them room in our heart, are we not falling prey to them?

IMO this is what Jesus was referring too.. if we are enjoying sin in our heart and mind, we are committing the sin in our heart.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
I think cg said it best in his post earlier on this thread. There is a difference between a thought popping into your head and you deciding (choosing) to dwell on the thought. Only the "dwelling on it" would be considered sinful because it would be a willful or deliberate thing then.
You both hit the nail on the head. I should have clarified that not every instance of a thought is considered sinful. It's only when one entertains the thought and dwells on it that it becomes sinful. Merely seeing an attractive person, with an accompanying stray thought of carnal desire for them which is quickly dismissed, isn't what I would consider lust or sin. That happens to everyone - well, except for tallrick But if we latch onto that stray thought and then entertain it, allowing ourselves to consider it as an act we wouldn't mind engaging in, it's sinful because it reveals the true condition of our heart. If we entertain a lustful thought, what does that say about the condition of our heart as a follower of God and one who wishes to obey Him? Am I truly repentant if I still actively pursue wanting to do something that is considered sinful?

Old 11-06-2007, 03:40 PM

49,291 posts, read 45,833,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryingtofigureitout View Post
Do you find yourself giving in to temptation? Do you imagine your with someone else?
well you already pointed out i need to see a chaplain so i dont wana make it any worse than it is. i will work on it brother i will work on it.
but no i did not give in.

Old 11-06-2007, 03:42 PM

2,739 posts, read 5,423,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
The only thing I lust for anymore is my cup of coffee in the morning and a new car.

greenie

Hah-hah-hah!!! I'm with you GreenMachine...you just made my day! I always say: "there's no lust that old age and decay can't conquer!"
With the ripe age of 60 looming very near on the horizon, I can now resist ANYTHING....(except, uh, that fresh cup of coffee in the morning...)
And...er...I did in fact just purchase a new car...
Thanks for bringing a smile to this old mans face....

Bud

Old 11-06-2007, 08:05 PM

120 posts, read 17,747 times
Default Everyone is trying to explain their actions to one another.

This is not what I intended. I intended for each of us to reflect on our inner being. We try so hard not to let anyone suspect what lies within us. We might even fool ourselves until we are alone in the room.

Is it a sin or isn't it. The easiest way I can figure out if something is a sin is to ask a question referring to it. "Would I do this in front of everyone?", or "I am thinking...". Of course none of us would sincerely share all of our thoughts with everyone. When we need to "hide" something, we are probably sinning.

Last edited by june 7th; 11-07-2007 at 12:27 PM..

Old 11-06-2007, 08:52 PM

86 posts, read 262,754 times
Except that you wouldn't have sex with your wife or husband in public either. Married, monogamous sex is not a sin, but that doesn't mean one doesn't keep it private. Just because something isn't exposed for the world to see doesn't make it a sin.

Also, you seem to have an issue with masturbation, or "personal pleasure" as you put it. I got over that being "wrong" a long time ago- if God created us, then he also created us with this valve to release sexual tension. Better to do something that hurts NO ONE than to engage in promiscious, meaningless sex that is emotionally and medically unsound.

Conservative Christians will deny, but we've all done it. Moderator cut: edit!!!

Last edited by june 7th; 11-07-2007 at 12:30 PM..

Old 11-06-2007, 09:17 PM

12,382 posts, read 14,676,160 times
JMHO, seems like the longer these sexuality threads go on the more gutter oriented they become

Old 11-06-2007, 09:21 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,321,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
JMHO, seems like the longer these sexuality threads go on the more gutter oriented they become
I second that.

Last edited by june 7th; 11-07-2007 at 12:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity