U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 11:07 PM

157 posts, read 431,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
I think that Matthew 5:27-28 only points out that there is a difference between a harmless fantasy and fantasizing about cheating with the intent of turning thought into action.
I mean a serial killer has the urge to kill so every fantasy he has about killing could become real, while a horror writer does not have this urge to take a life.
Maybe not, but a horror writer might be putting thoughts in the heads of some of the sick-minded individuals with the urge to kill. Some vulgar rap singers are inspiring young people to terrible things to themselves and others. Just a thought.

Old 11-06-2007, 11:08 PM
AT9

463 posts, read 600,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSX1990 View Post
Matthew 5:27-28. Whether it is the thought or the action, it is sin.

See, this is exactly the problem I have Biblical literalists. What kind of God is one who judges a thought as an action? If that IS the case, then I am a hedonist, adulterer, murderer... make that MASS murderer, thief, and an all around no-gooder.

The Bible was written by men thousands of years ago, and men have interpreted and misinterpreted it for centuries. I'd rather be a good person by societal standards and my own personal morals (which are mostly in-step with Christian morals anyway).
Yes, you a mass mruderer, an adulterer, etc.... And so am I. It is obvvious that thinking and acting are both sins acording to Jesus. But, lucky for us, he forgives all sins, whether they are in thought or in act.

And to answer the original question....As a 17 year old male, lust is by far my biggest downfall.

Old 11-06-2007, 11:57 PM

8,532 posts, read 10,589,090 times
Originally Posted by debbee
Quote:
Maybe not, but a horror writer might be putting thoughts in the heads of some of the sick-minded individuals with the urge to kill. Some vulgar rap singers are inspiring young people to terrible things to themselves and others. Just a thought.
Luckily I'm not as impressionable as you believe people are; otherwise I might suppose that you want me to kill people.
Anywayz, saying that horror writers are responsible for the actions of sick minded individuals is saying that it's the victim's own fault she got raped because she dressed 'provocatively'. Just because a woman is dressed in a mini-skirt doesn't mean that she wants to be raped. Nor does it give the rapist the right to force himself upon her.

Originally Posted by AT9
Quote:
Yes, you a mass mruderer, an adulterer, etc.... And so am I. It is obvvious that thinking and acting are both sins acording to Jesus. But, lucky for us, he forgives all sins, whether they are in thought or in act.
Uh, there are people who do not believe in Jesus, so I believe it is better that people know that thought does not mean action.
If people really could be arrested for having those thoughts there would not be enough prisons in the world to contain the guilty. Especially prisons to hold teenagers.

Old 11-07-2007, 12:36 AM

157 posts, read 431,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbeeLuckily I'm not as impressionable as you believe people are; otherwise I might suppose that you want me to kill people.
Anywayz, saying that horror writers are responsible for the actions of sick minded individuals is saying that it's the victim's own fault she got raped because she dressed 'provocatively'. Just because a woman is dressed in a mini-skirt doesn't mean that she wants to be raped. Nor does it give the rapist the right to force himself upon her.

Originally Posted by AT9 Uh, there are people who do not believe in Jesus, so I believe it is better that people know that thought does not mean action.
If people really could be arrested for having those thoughts there would not be enough prisons in the world to contain the guilty. Especially prisons to hold teenagers.
Tricky D,

I am talking about extreme cases in individuals that are impressionable not people in general and especially not you
Since this topic came up in the christian section the bible does speak of causing others to stumble so that's where I was coming from. But that's probably a whole different topic...don't want to get off the OP topic, and no I don't believe a woman in a miniskirt wants to be raped or is at fault because someone took her by force.

Old 11-07-2007, 01:13 AM

8,532 posts, read 10,589,090 times
Originally Posted by debbee
Quote:
I am talking about extreme cases in individuals that are impressionable not people in general and especially not you
Since this topic came up in the christian section the bible does speak of causing others to stumble so that's where I was coming from.
I knew that and I even agree with you on some level.
I mean I'm not for censoring rap artists or horror writers, but when it comes to violence and sex America somehow has a double standard.
I would agree that explicit rap songs & video's concerning sex and / or violence should not be aired for young children, since it often has 'complicated' matters.

But what I don't understand is the supposed zero-tolerance on American TV when it comes to sex and / or nudity, like the Janet Jackson and Justin Timberlake accident, while graphic violence is often considered 'normal'. I mean it was just a nipple, nothing to get that worked up about. So maybe they conspired to create a memorable ‘incident’ but has it been really worth all the fuss?

Last edited by Tricky D; 11-07-2007 at 01:25 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 11-07-2007, 10:38 AM

2,181 posts, read 3,800,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSX1990 View Post
Except that you wouldn't have sex with your wife or husband in public either. Married, monogamous sex is not a sin, but that doesn't mean one doesn't keep it private. Just because something isn't exposed for the world to see doesn't make it a sin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinxor View Post
Word!

You don't toilet or shower in public either.
You both took the words right out of my mouth. I was also going to add that I don't personally like to brush my teeth in front of other people, but that doesn't mean it's wrong if I do it privately.

Quote:
Uh, there are people who do not believe in Jesus, so I believe it is better that people know that thought does not mean action.
Please keep in mind you're posting in the Christianity sub-forum, so it's not unreasonable to expect the responses of people to reflect what Jesus said about this subject.

Old 11-07-2007, 12:18 PM

97 posts, read 174,058 times
THE CARNAL PART OF ME IS ACTIVE ALL THE TIME!!! Itrs something everyone must deal with and probably overcome to the best of their ability before they meet their maker where we will all be judged by our thoughts and actions

Old 11-07-2007, 01:38 PM

7,467 posts, read 7,146,297 times
Moderator cut: Okay everyone, this thread has become a bit dicey at times...IF we can keep it within the TOS, and IF we can post respectfully with some semblance of (dare I say?) maturity and sincerity, then I will leave it open. If not, it's going to be closed. Just a reminder...Thanks! -June
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity