Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 08:26 AM

3,684 posts, read 11,816,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathwalker View Post
Matthew 5:27-28. Whether it is the thought or the action, it is sin.
Well I think you should get credit for not acting on the thought...other wise we are all in trouble.

Old 11-06-2007, 08:32 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,233,536 times
Originally Posted by Pathwalker
Quote:
Matthew 5:27-28. Whether it is the thought or the action, it is sin.
It’s a good thing Matthew 5:27-28 only concerns marriage and cheating then.
Personally I think that there is a distinctive difference between the horror-writer Stephen King, who only comes up with 'creative' ways of killing people, and the serial killer Ted Bundy who had slaughtered several women.
If I truly believed that there is no difference between fantasizing about killing people and actually kill people, I might as well really kill people.

Old 11-06-2007, 08:41 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,887,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by Pathwalker It’s a good thing Matthew 5:27-28 only concerns marriage and cheating then.
Personally I think that there is a distinctive difference between the horror-writer Stephen King, who only comes up with 'creative' ways of killing people, and the serial killer Ted Bundy who had slaughtered several women.
If I truly believed that there is no difference between fantasizing about killing people and actually kill people, I might as well really kill people.
Not that Pathwalker needs my defense, but I believe you are putting words into his mouth. He didn't say there was no difference, what he said was that they were both sins. Mastiffs and poodles are both dogs, but there's a big difference in the two.

Old 11-06-2007, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Alpha8207
Quote:
Mastiffs and poodles are both dogs, but there's a big difference in the two.
I never claimed that cheating is not a sin.
I was only trying to point out that horror writers, who do nothing but come up with gruesome stuff on paper (or in their imagination), are nothing like real serial killers.

Old 11-06-2007, 08:59 AM

2,493 posts, read 4,400,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryingtofigureitout View Post
Do you find yourself giving in to temptation? Do you imagine your with someone else?
The only thing I lust for anymore is my cup of coffee in the morning and a new car.

greenie

Old 11-06-2007, 09:00 AM

3,086 posts, read 6,272,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
Well I think you should get credit for not acting on the thought...other wise we are all in trouble.
Good point... but what is acting on the thought? Maybe we do that more often than we realize...

Evil thoughts and desires will come to us... no matter what. But do we recognize them as evil and resist them, or entertain them? If we give them room in our heart, are we not falling prey to them?

IMO this is what Jesus was referring too.. if we are enjoying sin in our heart and mind, we are committing the sin in our heart.

Old 11-06-2007, 09:10 AM

I think that Matthew 5:27-28 only points out that there is a difference between a harmless fantasy and fantasizing about cheating with the intent of turning thought into action.
I mean a serial killer has the urge to kill so every fantasy he has about killing could become real, while a horror writer does not have this urge to take a life.

Old 11-06-2007, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
Good point... but what is acting on the thought? Maybe we do that more often than we realize...

Evil thoughts and desires will come to us... no matter what. But do we recognize them as evil and resist them, or entertain them? If we give them room in our heart, are we not falling prey to them?

IMO this is what Jesus was referring too.. if we are enjoying sin in our heart and mind, we are committing the sin in our heart.
Excellent point, but it still depends on one's definition of evil in regard to thoughts. Are we talking just a bit immoral (sexual fantasy type thoughts that you never act on, say Brad Pitt) or actually evil in fantasizing about someone's demise in some way?

I think any thought that becomes obsessive is harmful to you, good or bad, but I do think the thoughts that pop into our minds are at times just symptoms of what troubles us conscienciously and is a way for our minds to work on resolutions. As you solve your troubles the thoughts tend to resolve as well, IMO. So not all of these thoughts could be considered sin if it's your body's (mind's) way of working through a situation. Just my 2 cents as usual.

Last edited by irishmom; 11-06-2007 at 09:41 AM..

Old 11-06-2007, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
Disclaimer: And no, the above is in no way meant to imply that June is either advocating nor running around 24/7 acting in an immoral, hedonistic, heathen way. After all, we mods have our standards!
So you are saying that wasn't you I saw dancing around the tree in the "carefree" last night?

Last edited by irishmom; 11-06-2007 at 09:42 AM.. Reason: didn't want to stir up anyone's mind the wrong way!

Old 11-06-2007, 09:35 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,744,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
So you are saying that wasn't you I saw dancing around the tree in the nude last night?
you just said "nude" in a thread about temptation and lustful desires.....should that be allowed?

im just kidding.....

Last edited by arguy1973; 11-06-2007 at 09:45 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity