U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 11-05-2007, 08:54 PM

120 posts
Default How many fall prey to lustful desires?

Do you find yourself giving in to temptation? Do you imagine your with someone else?

Unread 11-05-2007, 09:10 PM

87 posts, read 244,945 times
Well it depends what you define "lustful desires" as. If you see it from the conservative, Biblical literalist point-of-view, where even a stray thought is adultery, then yes, I DO IT ALL THE TIME. Everyday I walk outside, I see attractive women, and being young and single, I lust after some of them in my mind.

I don't act upon my thoughts, because I have morals and self control. However, according to most conservative Christians, I am just as evil as the man who cheats on his wife (which makes absolutely NO sense, but I digress).

Unread 11-05-2007, 09:16 PM

120 posts
Default I meant personal pleasure...

while thinking of someone else.

Unread 11-05-2007, 09:58 PM

8,532 posts, read 9,624,681 times
I imagine lotsa things. But imagining things and acting upon them are 2 very different things. Unlike many Christians who feel guilty because they imagined something 'evil', I do not fret about it.
Evil can only be expressed in deed, not in thought.

Unread 11-05-2007, 10:09 PM

3,684 posts, read 7,860,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
I imagine lotsa things. But imagining things and acting upon them are 2 very different things. Unlike many Christians who feel guilty because they imagined something 'evil', I do not fret about it.
Evil can only be expressed in deed, not in thought.
I'm only temped when Tricky is near!

Unread 11-05-2007, 10:29 PM

8,532 posts, read 9,624,681 times
Originally Posted by irishmom
Quote:
I'm only temped when Tricky is near!
And with good reason.

All kidding aside, I believe this is the reason why some people want to have some books or writers on a black list. They truly believe that people are simple automatons who will kill once they have read a James Bond novel.
I mean this might be true for young children, but I do not think it applies to adults.
I mean just because I know how to kill people, doesn't mean that I will kill anyone whose outfit is out of fashion or something.

Unread 11-06-2007, 05:03 AM

6,843 posts, read 14,741,543 times
Whether we like it or not, these urges are built into the human mind. We can bring them up into the consiciousness, or we can push them aside and never seriously think about them.

If our minds are capable of such thought (call them lustful desires if you like) then it's because we were created with those minds.

Decide who or what created you, and you will have the answer to your question.

If there is a God that creates all beings, then that God also made it possible for us to think, and have desires.

And we can't use the excuse that "The Devil made me do it." WE, and only WE make the decisions to act or not to act.

Unread 11-06-2007, 05:39 AM

12,265 posts, read 13,658,941 times
IMO It is the action not the thought that counts as a sin..Seems like the more you try to control a certain thought the clearer and more agonizing or aggravating that thought becomes..

Unread 11-06-2007, 06:01 AM

3,163 posts, read 7,255,891 times
Lust is one of the favorite weapons of satan to tempt humans, it was with it that he brought us here in the first place.

We humans suffered our first psychological defeat, when our forefathers adam and eve were tempted by satan to misuse their creative powers to manifest a physical body and have sexual intercourse, when they did that they encased their souls in physical bodies with physical limitations, since that day the creator in man became a dictatorial creature that can destroy, trust, families and peace of mind among other things.

The easiest way to keep away from lust is to keep your concentration in God, if you can focus your thoughts on him and not in the senses you'll be safe

Be strong, Follow your dreams, Don't let anything or anyone hold you back, have faith, let your intuition guide you.

God is everything!!

Unread 11-06-2007, 07:52 AM

2,181 posts, read 3,506,423 times
Matthew 5:27-28. Whether it is the thought or the action, it is sin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.