Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 09:50 AM

4,526 posts, read 6,084,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by monumentus View Post
So I am not allowed give my counter opinion? giving a counter opinion to someone elses opinion is not disrespect. It is actually respect.

What I hear when I see the words "That is their opinion and you should respect it and leave them alone" is actually "They are allowed give their opinion because I agree with it - but I would much prefer you do not give yours".

Why not? And what has your being Christian got to do with it? Are you trying to bolster your opinion by pretending there is consensus on it? There is not. If there is a god then this god has given us each gifts. For some it is art. For some it is science and logic. For some it is music. For some it is charisma and leadership. For some it is being good with children. The list is endless. Each person in that list is allowed use their "gifts" to make a career out of them. Why are the people you describe magically and suddenly excempt???? Because YOU say so? Puhleeese.

again please do not rudely discount others opinion--i have said nothing about yours--you "hear" what is not there----ALL posters opinions r 2 be respected whether they agree with mine or not----now

on topic----i do not feel tc is genuine nor should she charge for her"gifts"
-----if god given

the majority of your post is off topic and a personal attack
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 02:03 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,423,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
They are in no way telling you you can't spend $400 for 30 minutes of a medium's time. Go for it.
I do not think I suggested that this IS what I think they were saying. The idea I was replying to was the one that if someone charges for using such a gift that this means we should be more suspicious of them actually having such a gift. I see no reason to think this correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieannie68 View Post
again please do not rudely discount others opinion
Take your own advice. As I said they gave their opinion. I am giving my counter opinion and explaining why I hold it. The only one dismissing opinions is mine. Rather than discuss my opinion - on topic - you are instead infringing on my right to give it at all.

Discuss my opinion - not my giving of it. You are not a moderator here. Let us return to the topic. The topic of this thread is about a Medium. It was suggested that if a medium requests money for the use of their services then this means they are more likely to be a fake. I do not think this claim is true. I have explained why I think this.

Quote:
i do not feel tc is genuine nor should she charge for her"gifts"-----if god given
Why should someone not charge for a god given gift? Apart from repetition have you anything to support such an opinion? Surely if there is a god - which I clearly do not think there is but lets work with the idea - then ANY gift you have in ANY career path is a "god given" one.

Why - therefore - should SOME people profit from their god given gifts but not others? Seems like simply selection bias on your part here. Their preclusion from the same rights as anyone else is based on nothing but your personal say so.

Old 06-27-2013, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monumentus View Post
I do not think I suggested that this IS what I think they were saying. The idea I was replying to was the one that if someone charges for using such a gift that this means we should be more suspicious of them actually having such a gift. I see no reason to think this correct.

Take your own advice. As I said they gave their opinion. I am giving my counter opinion and explaining why I hold it. The only one dismissing opinions is mine. Rather than discuss my opinion - on topic - you are instead infringing on my right to give it at all.

Discuss my opinion - not my giving of it. You are not a moderator here. Let us return to the topic. The topic of this thread is about a Medium. It was suggested that if a medium requests money for the use of their services then this means they are more likely to be a fake. I do not think this claim is true. I have explained why I think this.

Why should someone not charge for a god given gift? Apart from repetition have you anything to support such an opinion? Surely if there is a god - which I clearly do not think there is but lets work with the idea - then ANY gift you have in ANY career path is a "god given" one.

Why - therefore - should SOME people profit from their god given gifts but not others? Seems like simply selection bias on your part here. Their preclusion from the same rights as anyone else is based on nothing but your personal say so.
as are your opinions also--i do not need to prove to you that i feel she is a fake nor do i need to prove the exsistence of god to you

if i discuss other's gifts then i will be off topic-----for the last time---- i feel she does NOT have a god given gift and if she did then she should use it charitably----i have gathered my ideas from my take of spirituality,what i have read from the bible,what i know of god

now the thread of this medium is constantly being hijacked by posters so--i have stated my feelings about the medium and her connection with christianity for the LAST time

Old 06-27-2013, 01:15 PM

63,775 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
You make a fair point.
Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows.
Unfortunately the view of much of Christianity is there is nothing much good out there,especially outside its religion.
The laborer is worthy of his hire.
In saying this, there is something completely wrong with ministries making millions from folk they are telling to trust God to meet their needs.
You know that the inner experience of God changes us, pcamps. It is what following Christ within is all about. All auntieannie and I are saying is that if you have truly experienced that inner change . . . and someone who purports to be in direct spiritual contact could not avoid it . . . they would not even consider charging for bringing the fruits of such contact to others. As Vissini would say . . . "It is inconceivable!"

Old 06-27-2013, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You know that the inner experience of God changes us, pcamps. It is what following Christ within is all about. All auntieannie and I are saying is that if you have truly experienced that inner change . . . and someone who purports to be in direct spiritual contact could not avoid it . . . they would not even consider charging for bringing the fruits of such contact to others. As Vissini would say . . . "It is inconceivable!"

Old 06-27-2013, 02:18 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,800,899 times
In my opinion, consulting "mediums" is a violation of the First Commandment.

Old 06-28-2013, 02:57 AM

Quote:
as are your opinions also
You seem to be obsessed with talking about opinions. Could we pretty please just stick to the topic of the thread. Again people are giving their opinions and I am giving my counter opinions. That is what the forum is for. If you have an issue with my posts alert a moderator please.

Now back to the topic thanks...

Quote:
-i do not need to prove to you that i feel she is a fake nor do i need to prove the exsistence of god to you
I never said you do - where is all this coming from? I am saying _assuming these things to be true_ for the sake of conversation and staying on topic - then the people who think a medium is more likely to be "fake" if they charge for it is just naive and judgemental. There is no reason to think that way.

Quote:
i feel she does NOT have a god given gift
I am in 100% agreement with this. But my comments are related to WHY people feel that. There are enough good reasons to believe this way. And you and I both do. I just do not think that the fact a medium charges for the service is one of the good reasons. That is all my point is/was and to be honest I am not sure what your issue is with it.

Old 06-28-2013, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
someone who purports to be in direct spiritual contact could not avoid it . . . they would not even consider charging for bringing the fruits of such contact to others. As Vissini would say . . . "It is inconceivable!"
But it is anything but inconceivable. Their gifts - if they actually had any - do not change the facts of life. And the facts of life are that people need to eat. They want somewhere to sleep. They have bills to pay. They have a life of their own to live.

All of this requires money. So if they want to dedicate their life to using their gifts then they need to get money while doing it. Where do you suggest they get it otherwise? Are you aware of any government grants for them?

Old 06-28-2013, 09:02 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,383,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
In my opinion, consulting "mediums" is a violation of the First Commandment.

Why?

Old 06-28-2013, 09:14 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
I often hear athletes praise god for the gifts they have been given (physical ability above the norm). Do the same rules apply and these people should not be making money off of those gifts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity