Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 02:29 PM

28,092 posts, read 29,957,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
If the opportunity presented itself I'd definitely take the pre-opening tour of a temple to get a good look at everything. And peek behind all the drapes.
As I recall, Mr. Toad does have a residence in Arizona (I may be wrong about that, though). If that's the case, you might want to consider going to the Gilbert, Arizona Temple Open House when it takes place later this year.

Old 06-20-2013, 03:22 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,267,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Thanks for your input, Visio. I guess that puts me in pretty good company, because Jesus' Apostles would have answered exactly as I did. I guess they weren't Christians either.
So you're saying you "know" how the apostles would have answered? Very interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpur
I have often wondered how some people can claim to "know" one thing while other people can claim to "know" the exact opposite. For this reason, I never use the word "know" myself when speaking of spiritual knowledge. I prefer to say that I "am convinced" of certain things. To me, this implies that I have given the matter some serious thought and study and that I feel confident in the conclusions I've come to, while still acknowledging that I'm only human and am just going to have to wait until a later date (sometime beyond this life) when I suspect we all will be able to claim that we "know" and will all be on the same page.

Old 06-20-2013, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
So you're saying you "know" how the disciples would have answered? Very interesting.
It's even more interesting to even "assume" that they'd have agreed with a creed that wouldn't be written for another 300 years, don't you think?

Old 06-20-2013, 03:25 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,189,177 times
Quote:
Thanks for your input, Visio. I guess that puts me in pretty good company, because Jesus' Apostles didn't put any more stock into the Nicene Creed than I do. I guess they weren't Christians either.
The Nicene Creed was based off of the Bible, and the teachings of the apostles.
Quote:
Moderator cut: Orphaned
Moderator cut: Orphaned response

Last edited by june 7th; 06-20-2013 at 05:28 PM..

Old 06-20-2013, 03:25 PM

Quote:
It's even more interesting to even assume that they'd have agreed with a creed that wouldn't be written for another 300 years, don't you think?
Who is making that assumption?

Nice dodge, though.

Old 06-20-2013, 03:26 PM

796 posts, read 858,684 times
I do remember the missionaries telling my family that God the Father and Jesus the Son both had bodies.

Old 06-20-2013, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Then why was it even necessary? Who needs something that's "based off of the Bible" if you can go straight to the bible itself.

Quote:
I follow the teachings of the apostles.
Really? Me too!

Quote:
But hey...if you're hoping to gain the approval of men...so be it.
I hardly think my Church's teachings are garnering the the approval of men. On the contrary, it appears as if they are pretty much held in contempt by a lot of you "real Christians."

Quote:
I'd rather please God.
Then you'd better start cleaning up your act.

Old 06-20-2013, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
Who is making that assumption?
Vizio is. I was asked if Mormons accept the Nicene Creed. I said, "No." Vizio said that, based on that, I'm not a Christian. I merely pointed out that no one believed the Nicene Creed before it was written.

Quote:
Nice dodge, though.
No. Just a simply statement of fact. Don't tell me it went over your head, too.

Old 06-20-2013, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post

I follow the teachings of the apostles. You? Apparently you follow whatever you decide your church's teachings are this month.

But hey...if you're hoping to gain the approval of men...so be it. I'd rather please God.
Frankly, I don't think very many of your comments here are pleasing to God.

If you really are right and she is wrong, your attitude toward her is doing nothing but pushing her away from what is right. 2 Peter 3:9 says in part that God is "not willing that any man should parish." So if she is following a false gospel that will keep her from Heaven and your comments push her further into that gospel you are taking part in something that is against God's will. How much do you think that will please Him?

On the other hand, if she is right you're still spared from the outer darkness so why get your shorts in a knot about it.

Bottom line, you catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar.

Old 06-20-2013, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by balunman View Post
I do remember the missionaries telling my family that God the Father and Jesus the Son both had bodies.
That's correct. The following is something I posted several years ago on another website. Perhaps it will help answer some questions:

Our first Article of Faith states: We believe in God the Eternal Father, and in His Son Jesus Christ and in the Holy Ghost. We believe that Jesus Christ is the Only Begotten Son of God in the flesh. While we believe that God is the Father of the spirits of each and every person who has ever lived, and that we are all His spirit offspring, Jesus Christ is most definitely in a class by Himself. He was with His Father in the beginning. Under His Father's direction, He created worlds without number. He was chosen to be "the Lamb" prior to the foundation of this world. He sits today on the right hand of His Father. Along with the Holy Ghost, the Father and the Son make up the Godhead.

We believe that our Father in Heaven and His Son Jesus Christ have a true father-son relationship. The words, "Father" and "Son," in other words, mean exactly what they say. They are not metaphorical or symbolic of a vague metaphysical relationship, in which two beings are some how both part of a single essence. We are each the physical sons and daughters of our mortal parents. Jesus Christ is the literal, physical Son of a divine Father and a mortal Mother. He was conceived in a miraculous way, but like all sons, was in the "express image of His Father's person." That is to say, He looked like Him. Dogs beget puppies, and cats beget kittens. God beget a Son who is the same species as He is. They both have bodies of flesh and bone (although, until His birth in Bethlehem, Jesus Christ was a spirit being only).

The Father and the Son are physically distinct from one another, and yet they are also "one." This doctrine is taught in the Book of Mormon as well as in the Bible. We just understand the word "one" to mean something other than physical substance or essence. We believe they are "one in will and purpose, one in mind and heart, and one in power and glory." It would be impossible to explain, or even to understand, the degree of their unity. It is perfect; it is absolute. They think, feel and act as "one God." Because of this perfect unity, and because they share the title of "God," we think of them together in this way. It would be impossible for us to worship one of them without also worshipping the other.

Most Christians also use the words “co-equal” and “co-eternal” to describe the relationship between the Father and the Son. We do not. We believe that, as is again the case with all fathers and sons, the Father existed prior to His Son. No son's existence precedes his father's, and Jesus Christ is no exception to this rule. We also believe Christ to be subordinate to His Father. He is divine because of His relationship with His Father. It is, however, important to understand what we mean when we use the word "subordinate." We understand that the Son holds a subordinate position in the relationship; we do not believe Him to be an inferior being. As an example, a colonel holds an inferior position to a general, but is not an inferior being. To most people's way of thinking, an ant, however, is an inferior being to a human.

The third member of the Godhead is the Holy Ghost. Unlike the Father and the Son, the Holy Ghost is a person of spirit only. It is by virtue of this quality that He is able to both fill the universe and dwell in our hearts. It is through the Holy Ghost that God communicates to mankind. We come to understand spiritual truths through the witnessing of the Holy Ghost, who communicates with us on a spiritual plane. It is through Him that we come to know the Father and the Son
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity