Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 03:05 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,185,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
Does this mean you literally believe that anyone who isn't a repentant Christian is bound to spend eternity in Hell?
Yes. Thats what Jesus said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2013, 03:26 PM

3,448 posts, read 3,131,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
There is nothing from anyone who collaborates with those who are enemies of God that can.

(which btw ... is from the NT)
Its an all out attack of the concrete order, in Christianity... by using what would be parable textured writings creating a diversion vilifying the OT and God. Man is very theatric and has story's entwined and connected with history and the known in many ways and always has. Jesus spoke in parables often as well. The attackers are fully aware, its a persecution of God. The OT is used from time to time with good success in teaching concepts, most teachers will explain as parables...the youngsters do really well and fully understand God is not what exactly may be eluded to if read -by an individual looking for an excuse to attack the concrete order in Christianity.

Entries in the seen attack should be moderated out of this forum and placed into philosophy. They attack the very subject of the forum .

Last edited by stargazzer; 06-24-2013 at 04:34 PM..

Old 06-24-2013, 03:46 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,786,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Jesus embodied or perfectly articulated the Way. Other systems may point to the Way, and individuals may find it through them, but to come to unity with God and man there is only one Way.
Agreed. What people don't understand is the magnitude of what Jesus did.

-He fulfilled all the old testament criteria for the savior.
-He died a horrible brutal death, yet not a bone was broken.
-The tomb had a Roman Seal, and was under a Praetorian Guard (the equivalent of modern-day navy seals), yet he arose without a witness. If a Roman Guard fell asleep at his post, the entire unit (16 men) would be killed. It was impossible to steal his body under these conditions. The last thing the Romans and Jewish leaders wanted was for his body to go missing, yet not one saw the body exit the tomb.
-He walked the earth for 40 days and ministered to hundreds.
-He rose to heaven in front of as many as 500 witnesses.
-All of his apostles (save one) were tortured and murdered brutally, yet never recanted their belief in Jesus's resurrection and ascension.

How can we know the way to God?

Jesus said, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

That is the ultimate truth.

Last edited by steven_h; 06-24-2013 at 04:05 PM..

Old 06-25-2013, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The Flower Power movement mistook human love and lust for the agape love in 1 Cor 13. Drugs interfere with consciousness and control. There is no comparison. Do you think the New Covenant described in the Bible is a lie and God has NOT "written in our hearts???" Christian mysticism is as old as Christianity and meditation or prayer has always been a part of communing with God. "Be quiet and know that I am."
I do not attack the oneness of God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit . . . just the complex "precepts and doctrines of men" based on our ancient ancestors' ignorance of consciousness. Christ is not borrowed . . . He is essential. Without Him our entire species would be separated from God. However, being saved from separation is only part of the problem . . . we have to deal with what we will reap from what we sow . . . even though we are "saved as by fire.".
I corrected your flower power misunderstanding and your ridiculous drug analogy to meditation or devout prayer. I have never said "No worries" . . . I have repeatedly said we reap what we sow. Your sodom concerns were made clear by your focus on one particular "sin" . . . and you were not remotely polite about it. We will all reap what we sow and have not repented of . . . so I do not know what seems to trouble you so.
You do not seem to see the tremendous constraints the requirement for agape love places on us all. It is not possible to sin if we actually "love God and each other daily." Since we are only human . . . when we fail we need to repent. How is that in any way disruptive to society or without expectations?
Ok..if that was the idea, equal measure in all and not what Ive been reading in the attacks against the church in different ways it would not be an argument and I would not be making entries here. Other then the disagreement with The Trinity which cannot be shown at all against scripture, or any of the philosophy of Christianity... the leading idea of precepts and doctrines and ancient ignorants always winding up at the church's door needs to be explained so an opinion is possible. Also mechanical meditation is not the idea in Christian mysticism so I don't see how that sentence works. With regards to borrowed I was referring to an attempt to force Panentheism on Christianity, and a few weeks ago I argued that and you made no answer...not that anyone needs to answer my curiosity's but there seems to be a mission to change Christianity with under currents at getting rid of examination of conscience, which the Christian Mystic's recommend before all prayer. ( rejecting idea's in dogma and doctrines and ignorant ancients...all seems vague but tied into these fundamentals). Ive got no deal with what someone believes or what works out of the basics, but it seems the basics get avoided or criticized endlessly around here..

Last edited by stargazzer; 06-25-2013 at 05:15 AM..

Old 06-25-2013, 05:45 AM

5,190 posts, read 5,334,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Yes. Thats what Jesus said.
Two corrections: first, Jesus was Jewish.

Second, it's what Jesus allegedly said.

If the god you choose to believe in is one who knowingly consigns billions of souls to Hell (unless you concede that your god is not omniscient at all) for not joining a club and begging forgiveness for the sins of Adam and Eve, then a reasonable person can only conclude that this deity is a real jerk, not worthy of worship.

Old 06-25-2013, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
Two corrections: first, Jesus was Jewish.

Second, it's what Jesus allegedly said.

If the god you choose to believe in is one who knowingly consigns billions of souls to Hell (unless you concede that your god is not omniscient at all) for not joining a club and begging forgiveness for the sins of Adam and Eve, then a reasonable person can only conclude that this deity is a real jerk, not worthy of worship.
Hell is an unknown...same as heaven. Both are consequence's. Both are asked to Catholics to believe and the belief does not teach anyone is in hell...in fact in service Catholic's pray for the dead. Trying to appoint an emphasis on an unknown is illogical...all you can argue is consequence good vrs a drag....because no one could possibly know. If a religion asks for its members to believe in hell, it cannot be anything but an idea of consequence and translated, that means guess what, its translated differently by many. No one knows what heaven is and no one knows what...not heaven would be, or whatever for being total madness or whatever.

Old 06-25-2013, 08:51 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,916,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Agreed. What people don't understand is the magnitude of what Jesus did.

-He fulfilled all the old testament criteria for the savior.
-He died a horrible brutal death, yet not a bone was broken.
-The tomb had a Roman Seal, and was under a Praetorian Guard (the equivalent of modern-day navy seals), yet he arose without a witness. If a Roman Guard fell asleep at his post, the entire unit (16 men) would be killed. It was impossible to steal his body under these conditions. The last thing the Romans and Jewish leaders wanted was for his body to go missing, yet not one saw the body exit the tomb.
-He walked the earth for 40 days and ministered to hundreds.
-He rose to heaven in front of as many as 500 witnesses.
-All of his apostles (save one) were tortured and murdered brutally, yet never recanted their belief in Jesus's resurrection and ascension.

How can we know the way to God?

Jesus said, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

That is the ultimate truth.
All that is true, and amazing, but it is not an end in itself: to believe in Jesus is not just an intellectual acceptance of those facts, or even the mere conviction that Jesus died for our salvation, it is a commitment to that Way that He taught and that is summarized in the "New Commandment." This is the basis, the foundation of the Way that Jesus embodied and no amount of correct doctrine or following codes of ethics or rituals is of any value without that commitment to the Way.

Old 06-25-2013, 09:36 PM

5,190 posts, read 5,334,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazzer View Post
Hell is an unknown...same as heaven...
Well, I agree withyou there.

Heaven and Hell are unknowns, In the sense that no human knows whether or not they exist, or, in fact, if there is any kind of afterlife at all. Or, for that matter, whether or not god(s) exist.

Old 06-26-2013, 04:15 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,506,675 times
Jesus is the Only Way Because......

Because Jesus said so.

Old 06-26-2013, 04:38 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,285,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Jesus is the Only Way Because......

Because Jesus said so.
Because Jesus said so ?. I always thought that he said I Am the Way, not I Am the only way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity