Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 02:17 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,912,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
So you don't think it's right to tell someone they can't murder on someone that doesn't share that conviction? Or do you have limits on that?
By law, and secular conviction, abortion is not murder. Because your faith causes you to think so does not make it a matter that they are convicted of nor even necessarily true. I may, and do, tell people that I think we should be looking for other options than terminating pregnancy in almost all cases, but I will not advocate making that civil law because it is my religious conviction.

I am hopeful that the current legislation concerning abortion after 20 weeks will havve enough support to pass now or in the near future. I believe there is a good case for extending protection to the developing fetus that far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2013, 02:59 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,180,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
By law, and secular conviction, abortion is not murder.
That has nothing to do with my point. I wasn't asking if you or anyone thinks it is murder.
Quote:

Because your faith causes you to think so does not make it a matter that they are convicted of nor even necessarily true. I may, and do, tell people that I think we should be looking for other options than terminating pregnancy in almost all cases, but I will not advocate making that civil law because it is my religious conviction.

I am hopeful that the current legislation concerning abortion after 20 weeks will havve enough support to pass now or in the near future. I believe there is a good case for extending protection to the developing fetus that far.
Some people don't think murder is bad. We disagree, and we have laws against such actions. So we both agree that yes--we can pass laws to limit the actions of people that don't share our religious views.

Old 06-21-2013, 06:04 PM

Quote:
That has nothing to do with my point. I wasn't asking if you or anyone thinks it is murder.

Some people don't think murder is bad. We disagree, and we have laws against such actions. So we both agree that yes--we can pass laws to limit the actions of people that don't share our religious views.
And the point is that allowing murder of functioning persons is demonstrably bad for social order. It is a secular conclusion, not a purely religious one. The difference is where on the scale of single cell to live birth would a reasonable secular person agree that the fetus should have protection extended to it as opposed to the right of a woman to control her own body.

Old 06-21-2013, 06:12 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,180,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
And the point is that allowing murder of functioning persons is demonstrably bad for social order. It is a secular conclusion, not a purely religious one. The difference is where on the scale of single cell to live birth would a reasonable secular person agree that the fetus should have protection extended to it as opposed to the right of a woman to control her own body.
Regardless of how you come to the conclusion, we do legislate according to morality. You may not think you have a right to tell a woman not to kill her baby, but many of us do.

Old 06-21-2013, 06:40 PM

796 posts, read 858,345 times
Quote:
Regardless of how you come to the conclusion, we do legislate according to morality. You may not think you have a right to tell a woman not to kill her baby, but many of us do.
I agree. Murder is murder no matter who does it or what you call it. I consider every abortion a murder and everyone who had a part in one a murderer. I have even fired people who worked for me when I found out they were pro-murder. I have not tolerance for murder or those who support it in any form.

Old 06-21-2013, 07:01 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieannie68 View Post
my take--not every called catholic associated with the vatican really practices the faith--shocker huh

we all answer to God someday--btw--am not attacking my faith just stating a fact
What about the pope? He knew they were there that day.

Old 06-21-2013, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Then that answers my question about whether or not your faith advocates forcing purely religious perceptions on the general populace. Thank God we have no Inquisition in this country.

Old 06-21-2013, 08:04 PM

5,190 posts, read 5,332,941 times
Who gives a rusty $#!% what a bunch of priests say about anything? Aren't they too busy covering for each others' acts of pedophilia to worry about crap like this?

Last I heard, we don't live in a theocracy. You want that, go live in the Middle East.

Old 06-21-2013, 08:06 PM

5,190 posts, read 5,332,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by balunman View Post
I consider every abortion a murder and everyone who had a part in one a murderer.
Fortunately your ignorant, incorrect opinion has no bearing in the real world.

By your "reasoning" Yahweh is the greatest murderer/abortionist that ever existed.

Old 06-22-2013, 01:45 PM

796 posts, read 858,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
Fortunately your ignorant, incorrect opinion has no bearing in the real world.

By your "reasoning" Yahweh is the greatest murderer/abortionist that ever existed.
So you believe it's ok to commit murder. I accept that and it shows what you know of God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity