Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 10:26 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,344,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Correct. We actually read it. Not just quote the parts that make us feel good.

Last year I preached through Ephesians, James, and John. I'm currently preaching through Acts.

Verse by verse. Stopping to cross reference the OT every time it quotes from it.
"Comprehension is not the same thing as following the bouncing ball."
Many sing along, not understanding the lyrics from the writers' perspective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2013, 10:29 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,180,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
"Comprehension is not the same thing as following the bouncing ball."
Many sing along, not understanding the lyrics from the writers' perspective.
I'm well aware of that. I grew up in the Catholic church. I went to Mass every week. I heard the readings, and followed along. Yet....I didn't comprehend the Gospel until my late teen years when I was reading the Bible and studying it.

Old 06-21-2013, 10:35 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,824,183 times
Sound doctrine is not of any private interpretation (2 Peter 1:20). Most pastors are not assailed by doubts when it comes to Bible truth and sound doctrine (and there are not as many denominational differences as some imagine). Additionally, most pastors are pretty conscientious about sticking with scripture and acknowledging when they are in controversial areas.

The far greater problem is that too many church attendees simply assume that whatever they hear from the pulpit is true and accurate ... or "must be in the Bible" -- Most are more concerned with whether they like/dislike what they hear, than with whether it is Biblically accurate or supportable.

The church bears equal responsibility for ensuring that what is taught is Scripturally honest, true and reliable. False doctrine and scriptural deviations will not be tolerated by a faithful and knowledgeable congregation. Remember, the pastor's job is to "equip the saints", ... not to be the sole repository and dispenser of all truth.

Old 06-21-2013, 11:18 AM

889 posts, read 825,080 times
Quote:
Not all of them.

The Holy Spirit guides me. And I actually teach the Bible.

The Bible is a collection of books containing the Word of God.

I am a pastor that preaches the Bible. My congregants can know that because as I'm preaching I invite them to follow along and read it with me.

But while we're on the subject...how can anyone know for sure that the Catholic church preaches the truth?
Keys, my friend, keys to the Kingdom of Heaven. The Authority is Jesus's word.

Old 06-21-2013, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodToBeHome View Post
Keys, my friend, keys to the Kingdom of Heaven. The Authority is Jesus's word.
So why does the Catholic church subvert that Word?

Old 06-21-2013, 11:28 AM

796 posts, read 858,345 times
Default keys of the kingdom

keys of the kingdom

Not the keys of the church, but of the kingdom of heaven in the sense of Mat 13., i.e. the sphere of Christian profession. A key is a badge of power or authority (cf) isa 22:22; re 3:7. The apostolic history explains and limits this trust, for it was Peter who opened the door of Christian opportunity to Israel on the day of Pentecost ac 2:38-42 and to Gentiles in the house of Cornelius. ac 10:34-46. There was no assumption by Peter of any other authority ac 15:7-11. In the council James, not Peter, seems to have presided ; ac 15:19; ga 2:11-15. Peter claimed no more for himself than to be an apostle by gift 1pe 1:1 and an elder by office 1pe 5:1.

The power of binding and loosing was shared mt 18:18; joh 20:23 by the other disciples. That it did not involve the determination of the eternal destiny of souls is clear from re 1:18. The keys of death and the place of departed spirits are held by Christ alone.

CI Scofield

Old 06-21-2013, 04:23 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,008,103 times
The idea is from Matthew 18:3-6... Jesus said `` Very truly I say to you Except you be converted , and become a little children , you will not enter in to the kingdom of heaven ..Who so ever will humble themselves as this little child , the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven ...``............. See for preachers to know that they are preaching truth is to first humble themselves , and be lead by the Holy Spirit ............ See some arrogant preachers would say lead by the Holy spirit just puts lead in your walk and just slow you down and then these preachers will end up just preaching everything that comes out of their mouth undiscerning .............. I heard some preacher who have full confidence in the gifts of Holy spirit , and preach 75% right on target , then some day would preach hatred against other church which they hate where many people get up and leave the meeting as the spirit of antichrist is in the sanctuary preaching divisions ............ Even Lord Jesus Christ could only preach from the scriptures only correct 90 % of the time as some of what he preached is abusive to the character of Holy Spirit , which is very good considering that preachers today could in My evaluation only get up to 75- 80 % correct , where some can get 10% and some 25% correct which is outrageous ............. Jesus says forgive them if they preach wrong , as to just spit out the bones in the word of God and look to what is right for the gospel ....... Still if preachers would humble themselves to the correction of Jesus Holy Spirit , and wait on the Lord , then the heresies will be reduced to nil as Jesus will bring His Word in season , and spirit of the flesh of this world will be put off of Jesus preachers

Old 06-21-2013, 05:37 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,273,602 times
Quote:
Not all of them.

The Holy Spirit guides me. And I actually teach the Bible.

The Bible is a collection of books containing the Word of God.

I am a pastor that preaches the Bible. My congregants can know that because as I'm preaching I invite them to follow along and read it with me.

But while we're on the subject...how can anyone know for sure that the Catholic church preaches the truth?
You can quote the bible until the cows come home, but if you have no understanding of things spiritual, it is nothing more than the blind leading the blind quoting it.

How do you know for sure the fundamentalist wing of the church preaches the truth ?..

Old 06-21-2013, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
You can quote the bible until the cows come home, but if you have no understanding of things spiritual, it is nothing more than the blind leading the blind quoting it.
How exactly do you know that you have this "understanding"?
Quote:
How do you know for sure the fundamentalist wing of the church preaches the truth ?..
I'm not even sure what the "fundamentalist wing" is.

Old 06-21-2013, 06:11 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,273,602 times
Quote:
How exactly do you know that you have this "understanding"?

I'm not even sure what the "fundamentalist wing" is.
The difference between your mindset and mine is, I have no concern who is right or wrong, neither do I claim because I preach from the bible that I have to be right. My concern is to make Jesus Christ the life that is the life to all men approachable without fear of the teachings of men who are resolute they are right, or through their own fears of God being against them because they missed the mark.

Lets just say I view fundamentalism like you view Catholicism .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity