Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 06:14 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,189,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
The difference between your mindset and mine is, I have no concern who is right or wrong, neither do I claim because I preach from the bible that I have to be right.
You sure SEEM to want to tell me that I'm wrong and you're right.
Quote:

My concern is to make Jesus Christ the life that is the life to all men approachable without fear of the teachings of men who are resolute they are right, or through their own fears of God being against them because they missed the mark.
Again....I see words on the screen....but I'm really not even sure what you mean by that. That sounds a bit vague. In any event, as you have pointed out already, you seem quite serious about making sure we get things right the way you see them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2013, 06:34 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,289,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by balunman View Post
You know Vizio what's funny is that people who call themselves fundamentalist think I am too liberal in my doctrine. Perhaps someone on this forum has no idea what a fundamentalist really is.
In my opinion they are 100%+ bible literalists who believe the bible is inerrant. I am often called liberal although I have not voted( the few times i have)any other way than conservative.

Old 06-21-2013, 06:37 PM

796 posts, read 858,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
In my opinion they are 100%+ bible literalists who believe the bible is inerrant. I am often called liberal although I have not voted( the few times i have)any other way than conservative.
That is not what the term meant in it's use within Christendom. You should study it a bit.

Old 06-21-2013, 06:41 PM

Quote:
That is not what the term meant in it's use within Christendom. You should study it a bit.
I was formerly a fundamentalist. You should not assume that I don't.

Old 06-21-2013, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Again....I see words on the screen....but I'm really not even sure what you mean by that. That sounds a bit vague. In any event, as you have pointed out already, you seem quite serious about making sure we get things right the way you see them.
Is it an offence to you that I want to see folk get beyond the teachings of men and beyond their own fears of God ?. You can bet your life that I am serious about this. Where do you get I am right and you are wrong from this?,which obviously is what you are about. You don't have the truth and neither do I.

Old 06-21-2013, 09:00 PM

889 posts, read 825,471 times
Quote:
keys of the kingdom

Not the keys of the church, but of the kingdom of heaven in the sense of Mat 13., i.e. the sphere of Christian profession. A key is a badge of power or authority (cf) isa 22:22; re 3:7. The apostolic history explains and limits this trust, for it was Peter who opened the door of Christian opportunity to Israel on the day of Pentecost ac 2:38-42 and to Gentiles in the house of Cornelius. ac 10:34-46. There was no assumption by Peter of any other authority ac 15:7-11. In the council James, not Peter, seems to have presided ; ac 15:19; ga 2:11-15. Peter claimed no more for himself than to be an apostle by gift 1pe 1:1 and an elder by office 1pe 5:1.

The power of binding and loosing was shared mt 18:18; joh 20:23 by the other disciples. That it did not involve the determination of the eternal destiny of souls is clear from re 1:18. The keys of death and the place of departed spirits are held by Christ alone.

CI Scofield
That is incorrect. The other disciples had their chance to answer Jesus correctly, but they did not. It was Peter who answered the question correctly. Jesus was only speaking to Peter. Peter, you are Rock, and upon this rock I will build my church.

Old 06-21-2013, 09:05 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,918,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodToBeHome View Post
That is incorrect. The other disciples had their chance to answer Jesus correctly, but they did not. It was Peter who answered the question correctly. Jesus was only speaking to Peter. Peter, you are Rock, and upon this rock I will build my church.
you missed it so for your edification here is a copy of my post in another thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
What you have to say is quite good, but it is based on an error in interpretation of the Peter/rock passage, which error is based primarily on poor equivalence between language and failure to understand an important principle of languages that have different endings to words for different meanings. In this case, the two terms have endings which indicate two different genders and clearly indicate that two different rocks are meant. It would be like saying something like "kudos to him, and to her we give praise." Peter had just answered the question as to who Jesus was with, "You are the Christ, the son of the living God." It would be clear to a good student of language that Jesus was saying that Peter was really on target and what he had expressed was to be the foundation of the faith of Jesus' followers.

Don't feel bad, a lot of people got that wrong, even people who read Greek. A much later study of early church writings by a French clergyman indicated people thought the foundational "rock" referred to Jesus, Peter, or the confession. As I recall it was about 20% that thought it was Peter.

Old 06-21-2013, 09:19 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Not all of them.

The Holy Spirit guides me. And I actually teach the Bible.

The Bible is a collection of books containing the Word of God.

I am a pastor that preaches the Bible. My congregants can know that because as I'm preaching I invite them to follow along and read it with me.

But while we're on the subject...how can anyone know for sure that the Catholic church preaches the truth?
You teach your interpretation of the Bible.

If what you "teach" in your preaching is anything like your posting here, you do a fair bit of MISinterpreting God's Word too.

When it comes to any Christian denomination, those with the most educated, learned men and women who actually have worked in tandem throughout the centuries to build upon their understanding and interpretation of God's Word are the people more likely to have "the truth". So even though the Catholic Church might not always "get it right", they come closer to the truth than many other religions.

Self-taught preachers - those who get their credentials over the internet or in a 6 week class of study for instance - are more likely to miss a lot of "the truth" because they never really learn how to read the Bible in context.

Old 06-21-2013, 09:32 PM

4,217 posts, read 2,785,454 times
As Christ said; "Go and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father ,the Son and the Holy Spirit and teach them to carry out everything I have commanded you."

You see, Jesus did not interpret scripture to people. It is up to God to make His secrets known to those who seek Him and Keep His commandments. Jesus delivered the word just as the prophets before Him. The prophets have always only delivered the word of God. It is up to man to seek the Lord with all His heart. God will teach everyone the same if His word is delivered all the same.

Scripture says;

"The Lord your God will raise up for you a prophet like me from among your own people; you shall heed such a prophet.

I will put my words in the mouth of the prophet, who shall speak to them everything that I command. 19 Anyone who does not heed the words that the prophet shall speak in my name, I myself will hold accountable."

" Take careful heed to do the commandment and the law which the servant of the Lord commanded you, to love the Lord your God, to walk in all His ways, to keep His commandments, to hold fast to Him, and to serve Him with all your heart and with all your soul."

"When a man reveres the Lord, He will teach him the way he should choose. 13 He will abide in prosperity, and his descendants shall inherit the land. The friendship of the Lord is with those who revere him, and he makes his covenant known to them.

"The man who keeps the commandments he has from me is the man who loves me and the man who loves me shall be loved by my Father, I too shall love Him and reveal myself to Him."

Old 06-21-2013, 10:13 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,918,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
When it comes to any Christian denomination, those with the most educated, learned men and women who actually have worked in tandem throughout the centuries to build upon their understanding and interpretation of God's Word are the people more likely to have "the truth". So even though the Catholic Church might not always "get it right", they come closer to the truth than many other religions.
That would be true if they had not started off in a wrong direction very early in the history of the institutional church. As it is, there is still the basic message of the gospel and people open to it can follow it as well there as nearly anywhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity