Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 07:53 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,721,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
LovesMountains, I have backed up my view with Scripture. You have done nothing but make an empty denial backed up with nothing. As I said, I understand the reluctance of many to accept what the Bible plainly states. You are not the only one to refuse to believe something the Bible says because you don't understand it or find it difficult to believe.
Correction, you "backed up your view" with your misinterpretation of scripture, in my opinion.

I am not "refusing to believe the Bible". I am refusing to believe you.

The Bible IS the Word of God, but it is too frequently misread/misunderstood, even with the best of intentions, which I have no doubt you have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2013, 08:22 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,918,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
My "opinion" is actually the opinion of mainstream Christianity. I'd call that more than a few people
I'm having trouble finding out what that opinion is other than that the "heroes of old," the "mighty men" who were the offspring of the "sons of God and the daughters of men" were NOT the progeny of angels and humans.
What is that opinion and why should the progeny of whoever you think it is be giants or special mighty men of valor?
I will admit that on the surface at least Mike's presentation seems to be what the story is saying.

Old 06-23-2013, 08:31 PM

33,229 posts, read 26,440,532 times
Quote:
Correction, you "backed up your view" with your misinterpretation of scripture, in my opinion.

I am not "refusing to believe the Bible". I am refusing to believe you.

The Bible IS the Word of God, but it is too frequently misread/misunderstood, even with the best of intentions, which I have no doubt you have.
Again, you have simply made an empty statement. You have not even attempted to defend your view. You have not explained why you feel that my 'interpretation' is wrong.

Do you believe in angels? Do you believe that Satan is an actual being?

Old 06-23-2013, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Again, you have simply made an empty statement. You have not even attempted to defend your view. You have not explained why you feel that my 'interpretation' is wrong.

Do you believe in angels? Do you believe that Satan is an actual being?
I never "defend" my views on this forum as I am not here to debate anyone.

I am just sharing the info that mainstream Christianity does not view the Nephilim as you do.

Of course I believe in angels, and Satan too. Are there Christians who don't?

Old 06-23-2013, 08:48 PM

1,755 posts, read 2,997,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokesalad4u2 View Post
I studied some of this and in some ways it makes sense.

We are told that 1/3 of the angels were through down here along witrh satan.Is this correct? Well could we be that 1/3 of fallen angels who took the sentence of being here on earth to get back to God through this earthly judgement?

Just a study that in some ways makes sense and could explain all the suffering here.

Who built the pyrimids in Egypt and why? Who were the giants and did they build the pyrimids?

Why do the windows point to the star system Pleaides and Orion? Why are they mentioned in Job 38:31 ' can thou bind the sweet influances of Pleaides or loose the bands of Orion'?

What did Jeeus mean when He said "have I not said you that ye are gods'? Is He is saying He was the one speaking in Psalms 82:6?

How did Jesus know us before the foundation of the world?Mat25:34
You know...I had someone tell me that my soul was of Pleadian origin before...NEVER realized it was in the Bible...

But humans aren't the fallen angels. In fact, they aren't really angels at all.
In the Bible it was said, [b]
"what is mankind that you are mindful of them,
human beings that you care for them?[a]
5 You have made them a little lower than the angels[c]
and crowned them[d] with glory and honor.
6 You made them rulers over the works of your hands;
you put everything under their[e] feet:"- Psalm 8:4

Old 06-23-2013, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
I'm having trouble finding out what that opinion is other than that the "heroes of old," the "mighty men" who were the offspring of the "sons of God and the daughters of men" were NOT the progeny of angels and humans.
What is that opinion and why should the progeny of whoever you think it is be giants or special mighty men of valor?
I will admit that on the surface at least Mike's presentation seems to be what the story is saying.
"Story" is the operative word in Mike's presentation

The idea of angels mating with human women sounds like the the plot line of some kind of a great horror movie, lol.

Basically nate, Christians who do not believe the story Mike believes understand that angels cannot father offspring since they have no physical bodies.

I hold with the view of St. Augustine myself.

He said that the “sons of God” referred to righteous descendants (men) of Seth who took descendants (women) of Cain as wives.

The “sons of God” associates the men with the goodness of God whereas “daughters of men” would be intended as a contrast to this.

This is typical of ancient Semitic expressions which must not be interpreted literally as we understand such constructions, but in accord with the customary use of language at the time. Again, context, context, context

The background of Cain as a killer and the bad blood of his descendants makes it no wonder that such unions would be regarded in a negative light.

The people of the time believed such unions led to a situation in which humanity was corrupted and unacceptable to God.

The word “nephilim” literally means “fallen ones” which would be consistent with the interpretation that this group was a corrupt mixture of good and bad blood, not that they were half man/half angel.

Old 06-23-2013, 09:00 PM

Quote:
I never "defend" my views on this forum as I am not here to debate anyone.

I am just sharing the info that mainstream Christianity does not view the Nephilim as you do.
I wouldn't say that. Read below.

Excerpt:

The Fallen Angels View
■Sons of God: Fallen angels
■Nephilim: Mix of human and angel

This is one of the most popular views. It stems from angels being called “sons of God” or interpreted as such in Job 1:6, 2:1, 38:7. In fact, if the Nephilim were indeed half human/half fallen angel then it would give great understanding to the many ancient religious views after Babel and demi-gods. As pointed out, Nephilim is related to the verb series “to fall” in Hebrew, giving support to the view that this is related to fallen angels. So, it does hold some status among biblical scholars. [Bolded mine]
Read more >>> Who Were the Nephilim? - Answers in Genesis

Excerpt:

Question: "Who / what were the Nephilim?"

Answer: The Nephilim (“fallen ones, giants”) were the offspring of sexual relationships between the sons of God and daughters of men in Genesis 6:1-4. There is much debate as to the identity of the “sons of God.” It is our contention that the “sons of God” were fallen angels (demons) who mated with human females and/or possessed human males and then mated with human females. These unions resulted in offspring, the Nephilim, that were “heroes of old, men of renown” (Genesis 6:4).
Read more: Who / what were the Nephilim?

Besides, reality is what it is regardless of majority or minority opinion. The Scriptures plainly state that the angels who were involved in the infiltration are now imprisoned. There is nothing to misinterpret.

Quote:
Of course I believe in angels, and Satan too. Are there Christians who don't?
Many who claim to be Christian deny that Satan is a real being.

Old 06-23-2013, 09:27 PM

Quote:

The Nephilim (“fallen ones, giants”)
There is no etymological evidence to justify "giants" is an accurate translation for "nephilim".

Sure, the Nephilim were big people, maybe even "giant" compared to other men but that does not mean the two words mean the same thing.

Old 06-23-2013, 10:25 PM

Quote:
There is no etymological evidence to justify "giants" is an accurate translation for "nephilim".

Sure, the Nephilim were big people, maybe even "giant" compared to other men but that does not mean the two words mean the same thing.
I didn't say that there was.

My original pastor/teacher, Robert B. Thieme writes...
As a result of angelic procreation with humanity, a super-race evolved. This progeny, called Nephilim, ''fallen ones,'' in the Hebrew (the -im is the plural suffix) and translated ''giants'' in the English, are more than just giants. They had fallen from the human race in that they were no longer true humanity. Half man and half angel, they were creatures of remarkable strength and brilliant intellect. [Bolded mine] [Victorious Proclamation, R.B.Thieme JR. p. 9]

Old 06-23-2013, 11:53 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,918,865 times
Quote:
"Story" is the operative word in Mike's presentation
The word “nephilim” literally means “fallen ones” which would be consistent with the interpretation that this group was a corrupt mixture of good and bad blood, not that they were half man/half angel.
Your presentationdoesn't match the Biblical presentation in one very important aspect and that is the second part of my question to you: Given your presentation why would the offspring be anything but ordinary humans rather than exceptional peoplr, "mighty men of old?" And the Numbers citation certainly indicates that nephelim were physical giants to whom ordinary men were "as grasshoppers."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity