U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many Bibles do you own?
1-5 Bibles 16 48.48%
6-10 Bibles 7 21.21%
More than 10 10 30.30%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 07:19 PM

257 posts, read 223,028 times

Advertisements

I have about 60 of them. Because i love to collect them. I have 3 Calf Skin Leather Cambridge Wide Margin Reference KJV Bibles are by far me favorite. I sleep with my little Cambridge Calf Skin Leather KJV Bibles every night lol...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2013, 08:39 PM

11 posts, read 7,184 times
Review of the Recovery Version - Chitu Okoli | Chitu Okoli

Free Bible and free Christian books from Bibles for America

Old 06-30-2013, 07:15 AM

7,439 posts, read 4,268,150 times
Default Numbers

Not sure that the "number" of Bibles is a good way to view the importance of or to display the value we place on a Bible. At one time, before printing presses, Bibles held much more respect because they were so hard to come by. I once read an account of a "rich" man in England who gave a wagonload of hay to obtain just a partial part of Romans, as I recall. In early England, the Bible of each church was often chained to the pulpit to discourage thieves. In other words, we frequently value things by their rarity rather than by their intrinsic value, be it spiritual, artistic, cultural, or more mundane things such as stamps, coins, or even authographs of famous people.

But my favorite Bible is my Thompson Chain reference KJV. For reading and comprehension though, I frequently choose The New Layman Parallel Bible that contains side by side versions of KJV, RSV, NIV, and the Living Bible. While some are stuck in one version or another, I've always tried to give the Spirit of God freedom to use the voice and words He needs each day to remind me why I'm still here, and of my responsibility to God the Father.

Old 06-30-2013, 02:15 PM

14,198 posts, read 7,125,763 times
"Giving and receiving through love require open hands; and actions always speak louder than words."

Old 06-30-2013, 02:36 PM

796 posts, read 601,194 times
While this may be getting somewhat off topic I think that discussing God's word and it's place in our life and faith it is relevant.

I was in a training class this past Monday with the disaster relief organization our church is active in. The teacher told us to remember that we are not out there to cut trees off of peoples houses and restore plumbing and power to their homes and cook food for them and help them rebuild. We do all those things to show them Jesus. That must always be our primary purpose in everything we do. When they ask "why did God let this happen" tell them "I don't know but He sent me to help you, now let's get this tree off your house so we can get in and see what we need to do to it where you can live in it again". I have seen some on here post often that we are to "Love God and our neighbor" and I believe this is one way to do it. That's why we still have people in New Orleans rebuilding houses. That's why we still have people in New Jersey and Oklahoma. Because our neighbor needs our help and we love our neighbor, not because of what our neighbor can do for us but because God loved us.

Old 07-07-2013, 04:08 PM

123 posts, read 122,228 times
What about The Message? Does anyone read that and what do you think? I like it, but it's not the one I got to for deep study or memorization.

Old 07-09-2013, 10:11 AM

2,820 posts, read 2,505,147 times
I like the concordant best, especially for studying. I like anything else for reading.

Old 07-09-2013, 11:06 AM

The concordant is a tool of satan. You should burn that if you wish to follow Jesus Christ. It's as though they mistranslated words on purpose to change God's word to make it fit their man made doctrines which are not supported by scripture.

Old 07-09-2013, 11:17 AM

The inConcordant illiteral word of man denies that Jesus Christ rose Himself up from the dead in John 10:18.

John 10:18 "No one is taking it away from Me, but I am laying it down of Myself. I have the right to lay it down, and I have the right to get it again. This precept I got from My Father."

(note: the Concordiant word of man is denying that Jesus Christ can raise Himself from the dead by erroneously translating the Greek word 'exousia' as 'the right.' 'Exousia' is defined as "power, authority" when this word is used in reference to God. This incorrect translation contradicts John 2:19 "Jesus answered and said to them, "Raze this temple, and in three days I will raise it up." Also contradicts John 10:29 "Jesus said to her, "I am the Resurrection and the Life...")

Romans 14:10 "...For all of us shall be presented at the dais of God..."(note: Incorrectly translates the Greek word 'bema.' contradicts Romans 2:16 "in the day when God will be judging the hidden things of humanity, according to my evangel, through Jesus Christ. Contradicts John 5:22 "For neither the Father judging anyone, but has given all judging to the Son." And contradicts 2 Corinthians 5:10 "...dais of Christ...")

Old 07-09-2013, 11:48 AM

12,415 posts, read 5,239,739 times
^Looks to me like you are splitting hairs. What exactly do you see as the difference between "right" and "authority?" Got any other examples?

Added: Apparently the Concordant tries to simplify study by using only one English term for each occurrence of a Greek (or Hebrew) word, and just a quick check of Strong's indicates 7 words translated as "authority" in the KJV. Seems useful for the student.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity