U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 04:42 PM

7,463 posts, read 7,092,979 times

Advertisements

While June rarely begins her own threads, I have found myself pondering the metaphor/analogy of the title of this thread, thanks to one of our esteemed members. As well, another esteemed member of our forum(s) pointed out to me the other day that perhaps I should be asking others not what they believe, but rather, WHY?

As such, in an attempt to better understand the above metaphor, I am sincerely and respectfully seeking an answer to the querie:

Why do you believe?

--Or--

How is that you are able to make that connection between the music, and the band?

With humble thanks in advance:

Take gentle care.

Last edited by june 7th; 11-06-2007 at 04:57 PM.. Reason: grammer, always grammer! Grrrrrrr!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2007, 04:51 PM

8,640 posts, read 14,683,446 times
Do you want the short version or the long version? The entire 4 verses or just the refrain?

I have to leave work in 10 minutes so I guess I'll go the abbreviated route-
I find the concept of an eternal God more logical than an eternal universe or an eternal anything else.

I find Jesus to be a very real, "unexpected character" who just resonates with truth.

I have seen and experienced things including sensing the tangible presence of God, miracles etc. that I don't believe are explained in any other reasonable way.

and the band played on....

Old 11-06-2007, 05:14 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,357,296 times
I'm with kaykay. It is hard to explain.

My belief in Christ is as vital to me as the air in my lungs. When I begin to pull away from the Lord, I soon find my life spiraling out of control. My belief brings order and discipline to my life. It keeps me grounded. It provides the framework that I base my entire life around (not just my Sunday mornings).

So, why do I believe? I have been raised in church my whole life. About a year into my marriage, I went through an extremely rough bout of depression. I still went to church faithfully, but I felt dry and empty inside. I could have easily quit attending church at that time. But I knew that even when I don't feel churchy or Christian, it doesn't change the committment that I have made. I really began to believe for me and not for my parents or family who expected me to believe. It felt like trying to walk in thick muck where your feet sink in with each step. It takes a huge effort to put one foot in front of the other. It would be so much easier to collapse and give up. But I kept going. It was that perseverance that eventually brought me out of that depression. It was through Christ that I let go of the bitterness that was eating me inside out. If I had not had that influence in my life, I really don't know what I would have become.

I know that is a long story, and I don't know if I really answered your question. If you are sitting there scratching your head, I apologize.

Old 11-06-2007, 05:17 PM

3,086 posts, read 4,039,999 times
Well, recognizing that there is music is one of the first steps.. and "following the music", that is heard, however faint, will lead to the band.. NO QUESTION! It's not so much a matter of my making a connection between the two, or how I did it..

Sometimes we are expecting to actually "see" the band, and try to walk by our sight, when we should rather open our ears and follow the faint sound... but it is not our nature to walk with our eyes closed and our ears open!

Old 11-06-2007, 05:38 PM

3,773 posts, read 6,941,492 times
Well,when your heart is in to the music of a song,you know what band is playing,you want to keep hearing that song over and over.When you have the Lord in your heart and in tune to what He wants in your life,you know that everything is from God,and you want to keep hearing the word of God over and over.

When we turn from the band,we lose interest and look elsewhere for other inspirational music. We have lost sight of the band and turned away from the band to look for another band,but we find that the other band doesn't have the same beat.When we turn away from God we lose interest and search for other gods or religions for inspiration and find that we are not hearing the same word.

It all comes from the heart,in what ever you do in life. When you focus on the Lord and you believe in the word and have faith in Him,you will live in His Eternal KIngdom and that is beautiful music to the ears.

Old 11-06-2007, 05:48 PM

8,532 posts, read 10,516,744 times
Originally Posted by june 7th
Quote:
Why do you believe?
We all love, thus hear the music, yet some are selfish and some are not.
I needed to understand why one form of love is selfish, while another form of love is not.

Old 11-06-2007, 05:55 PM

2,798 posts, read 6,792,408 times
I think there are times in our life when we tend to believe in something only because we just know it's right and true. You don't need any real rhyme or reason, you don't need any logic, you don't need the approval of others...you just "believe" because you know in your heart of hearts that it's true.

Has there ever been a time in my life where I have wondered if God really IS real? Of course! I highly doubt there is a Christian (or any other believer) that hasn't tried to analyze everything and question whether there really is a God or not. For me, when I have questioned, it always boils back down to "How can there NOT be a God?". I just "know" He is there! I just know and feel His presence.

Then there are the questions of WHY we believe in Jesus. Why do we believe that Jesus is the true way? How can we possibly think that Jesus is the ONLY way to Heaven?
The only answer I can give to that is the same as above. I just KNOW it's right! I don't just blindly believe in Jesus...His immaculate conception, His ministry on earth, His being crucified to atone for OUR sins, His remarkable resurrection on the third day...just because someone has told me this all my life. I believe because I KNOW in my heart it is ALL TRUTH!

There are many people on the forum that have great arguments for WHY we could be wrong. There is A LOT of evidence that could easily sway us from believing. BUT...you can't just STOP believing in something that you KNOW is real!!! I guess the same can be said for the opposing view as well.

Matthew 17:20
And He said to them, "Because of the littleness of your faith; for truly I say to you, if you have faith the size of a mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there,' and it will move; and nothing will be impossible to you.

Old 11-06-2007, 06:35 PM

11,617 posts, read 9,017,193 times
I believe because God opened my heart to see that I needed Him. He led me to see that my life was nothing without Him. I saw I was lost and had no understanding of what life was all about. I hated life and I hated just about everyone due to some things that I had experienced. I had no direction and I had attitudes and behaviors that needed to be changed. I wanted to change and I didn't know. And I was really miserable. He gave me the faith to believe that Jesus died for me and was the answer that I was looking for. I believe by the grace of God because this is His will. God bless.

Old 11-06-2007, 06:37 PM

3,163 posts, read 7,800,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
Why do you believe?
Well, it all started because after wandering through life I happened to be in a very difficult situation, so hard that my soul sent a distress call for help, and God heard it, he sent me my guru and my religion, and from that day on it's only been a beautiful relationship between him and me based in love, trust and friendship, I finally found what my soul had been looking for all this time something that freed me from suffering forever!!!

I might have up and downs sometimes because of my imperfect human nature, but I only have them when I stray away from God, like dojilynn said, he is like air in my lungs and as kaykay said,
I've seen miracles happen, that's the power of divine love!!

at least for me, God is only happiness, if you are in his heart and he is yours, only good things can happen.

Last edited by Travelling fella; 11-06-2007 at 06:46 PM..

Old 11-06-2007, 07:05 PM

12,393 posts, read 14,941,761 times
I believe because I have known him since I can remember..In another long ago thread..I talked about me being a child of very poor parents..I would see them read the bible, not that they were necessarily religious, but because it was one of the very few books they had..Mom taught us how to pray..I had the faith of a child..In the winter when we huddled in the bed for warmth., I said a simple childs prayer for warmth..I felt the warmth through my body..That sensation never left me..It is with me now..Only now It is a more mature faith that there is a God who will take care of me whenever I seek him..It is my opinion that anyone sincerely seeking God must seek him with the desire of an innocent child...If a person sincerely desires to know God, He will make himself known in the depth of your soul and you will believe and your faith will grow...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity