U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 10:24 AM

6,197 posts, read 4,822,809 times
Default Why Was Premarital Sex Not Punishable By Death Under Mosaic Law

Under Mosaic law a man was not stoned for having premarital sex with an unmarried woman.

Exodus 22:16-17

Quote:
16 And if a man entice a maid that is not betrothed, and lie with her, he shall surely endow her to be his wife.

17 If her father utterly refuse to give her unto him, he shall pay money according to the dowry of virgins.
So basically, if a guy has sex with an unmarried woman he has to marry her. If the father refuses he has to pay the dowry an then he walks away scott free---unpunished. If a pregnancy ensues he's still off the hook. Maybe he has to pay child support; I didn't get that far.

So where did this idea that sex before marriage can send you to hell originate? Understand I am not condoning premarital sex, though many here will naturally accuse me of that just for asking an innocent question ("Your questions are not innocent, Thrill, they are designed to sow doubt and confusion in baby Christians and lead them astray"---(sigh)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2013, 10:26 AM

1,700 posts, read 847,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Under Mosaic law a man was not stoned for having premarital sex with an unmarried woman.

Exodus 22:16-17

So basically, if a guy has sex with an unmarried woman he has to marry her. If the father refuses he has to pay the dowry an then he walks away scott free---unpunished. If a pregnancy ensues he's still off the hook. Maybe he has to pay child support; I didn't get that far.

So where did this idea that sex before marriage can send you to hell originate? Understand I am not condoning premarital sex, though many here will naturally accuse me of that just for asking an innocent question ("Your questions are not innocent, Thrill, they are designed to sow doubt and confusion in baby Christians and lead them astray"---(sigh)

From the idea of fornication I guess. Basically, if you have sex with her and you DON'T marry her then you're punished. If he doesn't...well then...

Old 06-24-2013, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalite View Post
From the idea of fornication I guess. Basically, if you have sex with her and you DON'T marry her then you're punished. If he doesn't...well then...
Punished how, though. Not by stoning. Exodus doesn't address not marrying her except her father refusing to allow the marriage. It doesn't anything about if he refuses to marry her.

Jesus never talked about sex before marriage. Paul said for a man to marry in order to avoid burning with desire. I used to think "it is better to marry than to burn" meant it is better to marry than to burn in hell for committing fornication. Ha! Enough readings of the actual explanation showed me that was not what Paul was saying, but I can still not find a sold doctrine in the Bible specifically saying premarital sex is a sin.

Again, kids, I am NOT condoning premarital sex or in any way hinting that it's okay for you to go out and have sex. It is NOT okay!!!

Old 06-24-2013, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Punished how, though. Not by stoning. Exodus doesn't address not marrying her except her father refusing to allow the marriage. It doesn't anything about if he refuses to marry her.
I mean if you think about from a certain perspective, if fornication is sin then it kind of all adds up what the "punishment" is.

Old 06-24-2013, 10:40 AM

4,364 posts, read 1,136,111 times
Interesting question. Fornication appears from references to be a matter of intercourse with no intent to maintain a relationship. Any more on that perception?

Old 06-24-2013, 10:46 AM

Quote:
I mean if you think about from a certain perspective, if fornication is sin then it kind of all adds up what the "punishment" is.
But that's the crux---as Clinton said, "What is the definition of "is"?

Fornication is sex. But is it sex while married (adultery--punishable by death) or is it premarital sex (not punishable by death--not punishable by anything except the possibility of marrying a shrew, in which case Proverbs 25:24 kicks in ("Better to live in a desert, or the corner of a roof--take your pick; whichever is furthest away from her--than to be married to a nagging and contentious wife")?

That certainly is worse than stoning because it is slow death by horrendous torture.

Old 06-24-2013, 10:51 AM

Quote:

Jesus never talked about sex before marriage. Paul said for a man to marry in order to avoid burning with desire. I used to think "it is better to marry than to burn" meant it is better to marry than to burn in hell for committing fornication. Ha! Enough readings of the actual explanation showed me that was not what Paul was saying, but I can still not find a sold doctrine in the Bible specifically saying premarital sex is a sin.

Again, kids, I am NOT condoning premarital sex or in any way hinting that it's okay for you to go out and have sex. It is NOT okay!!!
Relax thrillobyte. I don't feel like you're really condemning anyone or condoning anything and hopefully other posters won't either. I think you're just asking for justification for certain things and connection between OT and NT on fornication.

If they are caught or found out, they lose all possibility of being divorced, something which was given to them by Moses. So I guess he gave them a little extra in the physical to think about before doing it.

"Deuteronomy 22:28-29
King James Version (KJV)
28 If a man find a damsel that is a virgin, which is not betrothed, and lay hold on her, and lie with her, and they be found;

29 Then the man that lay with her shall give unto the damsel's father fifty shekels of silver, and she shall be his wife; because he hath humbled her, he may not put her away all his days."

Old 06-24-2013, 10:52 AM

Quote:
But that's the crux---as Clinton said, "What is the definition of "is"?

Fornication is sex. But is it sex while married (adultery--punishable by death) or is it premarital sex (not punishable by death--not punishable by anything except the possibility of marrying a shrew, in which case Proverbs 25:24 kicks in ("Better to live in a desert, or the corner of a roof--take your pick; whichever is furthest away from her--than to be married to a nagging and contentious wife")?

That certainly is worse than stoning because it is slow death by horrendous torture.
Fornication by definition is voluntary sex between two unmarried people. If they're married, it's just sex.

Old 06-24-2013, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Interesting question. Fornication appears from references to be a matter of intercourse with no intent to maintain a relationship. Any more on that perception?
But you see, that's also a problem. My girlfriend and I (before we were saved--and, I'm ashamed to admit, even afterwards ) engaged in premarital sex. But we had every intention of getting married and were even engaged before other unforeseen events ruined it and broke us up---the reappearance of her old boyfriend who she still had feelings for to be exact). So were we committing a sin? I think we were, but I cannot find exactly where in the Bible it specifically says "even engaged people cannot engage in premarital sex--you'll go to hell for it".

Old 06-24-2013, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Fornication by definition is voluntary sex between two unmarried people. If they're married, it's just sex.
That definition poses problems. Jesus said, "Whoever divorces his wife, saving for the cause of FORNICATION and marries another commits adultery." So Jesus tied "fornication" to adultery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity