U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2007, 10:43 PM

28,193 posts, read 47,525,781 times

Advertisements

Acting on tips about preachers who ride in Rolls Royces and have purportedly paid $30,000 for a conference table, the top Republican on the Senate Finance Committee said Tuesday he's investigating the finances of six well-known TV ministers.

Upgrade Browser
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2007, 09:54 AM

2,180 posts, read 4,990,560 times
Trying to find the appropriate smiley which shows "gagging" while not actually "vomiting" isn't easy, and I don't actually want to post a "vomit" smiley because that might be a bit distasteful for these forums. So I'll just say this whole thing nauseates me. "Christian" evangelists that are driving around in Rolls Royces and flying in private jets, and some of them owning three homes in separate cities?? THAT is truly one of the reasons why people get such a bad impression of what Christianity is.

Old 11-07-2007, 08:37 PM

157 posts, read 576,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathwalker View Post
Trying to find the appropriate smiley which shows "gagging" while not actually "vomiting" isn't easy, and I don't actually want to post a "vomit" smiley because that might be a bit distasteful for these forums. So I'll just say this whole thing nauseates me. "Christian" evangelists that are driving around in Rolls Royces and flying in private jets, and some of them owning three homes in separate cities?? THAT is truly one of the reasons why people get such a bad impression of what Christianity is.
Amen!! Ditto Pathwalker, and then they have the nerve to tell those struggling financially that they are not being blessed by God because of this that and the other. They're nothing but scam artists hiding under the cloak of Christianity.

Old 11-08-2007, 05:21 PM

2,886 posts, read 7,493,206 times
But still we're called to pray for them regardless of what our personal views are;
according to God's word, anything else that we say or do against these men and women of God collectively is "Slander" in context with the Bible .We're supposed to "Lead by Example".so that those that are walking in darkness, may see our light. But if we're talking about Ministers and speculating (gossiping"); then we're just as guilty as men and women of God as they are.
So IMO examining our own hearts and confessing and repenting our transgressions that we have commited; should be our primary focus. as Christians who walk the walk "and not just talk the talk"..
Having said that, Let me find the passage of scripture that reminds us as followers of Jesus the Christ, to do this.......
The log and the splinter" refers to Jesus' words in Matthew 7: "Why do you look at the splinter in your brother's eye but do not but do not consider the log in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, 'Let me remove the splinter from your eye'; and look, a log is in your own eye?" (vv. 3-4). Notice, however, the next verse: "Hypocrite! First remove the log from your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the splinter from your brother's eye" (v. 5).
Instead of telling us not to confront because of sin in our own life, Jesus tells us to address our own sin first, THEN go help our brother deal with the sin issue in his life. This ties in perfectly with Galatians 6:1, "you who are spiritual, restore such a one [who is caught in a sin]." Spiritual people are those who have no unconfessed, undealt with sin in their life. They are not hypocrites but are really striving for holiness. These are the people God uses to help other believers who are overcome by sin.
This enables us to approach our brother meekly, or humbly, as Galatians 6:1 instructs us. We are ever aware of our own sinful tendencies, which keeps us humble and gracious as we confront. Furthermore, as we put our trust in the Lord and not ourselves, we find that His love controls us (2 Cor. 5:14). After all, love is a fruit of the Spirit (Gal. 5:22), which takes us back to being "spiritual" (Gal. 6:1) as we confront!
So there's no reason to "get lost in [your] head" and to not be able to "find or hear the answers," because God has given us all the answers in His Word, along with the power to obey it (2 Pet. 1:2-3). We discover the beauty and blessing of God's will as we allow His word to renew our minds (Rom. 12:1) and transform us into vessels of honor that are fit for His service (2 Tim. 2:21) -- and that includes the ministry of confrontation! May the Lord bless you as you read and heed these principles from His infallible Word.

We have to careful when we are judging others, especially annointed men and women of God leaders", even if ;for the sake of argument we believe they are guilty.
I know that this reply won't make me popular and I probably won't get a rep!!(sniggling), But I'd rather be a God pleaser" than a man pleaser"; Thanks John1960 for this thread;
God Bless You

Last edited by yhwhshalomjr; 11-08-2007 at 06:04 PM.. Reason: add/remove text

Old 11-08-2007, 05:34 PM

I feel I need to add this for those who "jump the gun" and try to pounce on me!!!
My post is not directed personally to you John; but to us, and the ones who took
the time to protest against them in the first place. for all we know the source this originated from is a disgruntled person who may have worked for one of them. I think we should we aware when things like this take place; But we need all of the facts, and the reasons behind why someone would be concerned with what they have in the first place. Could it be envy? among many other things, or could this be another one of the adversary's fiery dart targeted against Christ period. "If they could just shed a negative light on Christians to get the lost , dying, hurting, distracted enough to throw in the towel" Besides "I'd be just as suspicious" about the person that pointed out the fact that Paula and Randy White's "Church without Walls" was a "multiracial church. All of these churches are multiracial and multicultural in case that's bothering them. So they we're putting Christ in a box?? Just my personal inventory of my "heart" and my thoughts. If they are wrong, God can handle it this all by Himself,
Not intended to be an offensive or defensive observation. Just my thoughts

Last edited by yhwhshalomjr; 11-08-2007 at 06:18 PM..

Old 11-09-2007, 11:04 AM

2,180 posts, read 4,990,560 times
I'm not judging. I'm expressing my opinion.

Old 11-09-2007, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yhwhshalomjr View Post
I feel I need to add this for those who "jump the gun" and try to pounce on me!!!
My post is not directed personally to you John; but to us, and the ones who took
the time to protest against them in the first place. for all we know the source this originated from is a disgruntled person who may have worked for one of them. I think we should we aware when things like this take place; But we need all of the facts, and the reasons behind why someone would be concerned with what they have in the first place. Could it be envy? among many other things, or could this be another one of the adversary's fiery dart targeted against Christ period. "If they could just shed a negative light on Christians to get the lost , dying, hurting, distracted enough to throw in the towel" Besides "I'd be just as suspicious" about the person that pointed out the fact that Paula and Randy White's "Church without Walls" was a "multiracial church. All of these churches are multiracial and multicultural in case that's bothering them. So they we're putting Christ in a box?? Just my personal inventory of my "heart" and my thoughts. If they are wrong, God can handle it this all by Himself,
Not intended to be an offensive or defensive observation. Just my thoughts
Forgive me. if this post sound a little hot"; as I was reading it over today; if I were someone else " I'd think that I was a little perturbed" I admit that it did bother me a little.
Learning to look at myself for what I am"; through the grace and mercy of God.
God Bless

Old 12-26-2008, 04:44 PM

1 posts, read 1,782 times
pathwalker, may i talk with u?

Old 12-26-2008, 06:10 PM

2,601 posts, read 3,090,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbee View Post
Amen!! Ditto Pathwalker, and then they have the nerve to tell those struggling financially that they are not being blessed by God because of this that and the other. They're nothing but scam artists hiding under the cloak of Christianity.
Several months ago I was up really late at night and passing through the channels. I saw Steve Munsey on Benny Hinn's show. I do NOT like either one of these people just to be clear. Anyway, I stopped for I have no idea what reason. Steve Munsey was preaching on his book, "Seven Blessings of the Passover." He was saying angels would be dispatched to anyone who made a "significant" monetary donation to his (or Hinn's) ministry. He actually used the word "significant" and said the donation "can't be little." Then he gave examples such as $10,000; $1000; $500; etc. He also said the donations MUST be made within the next 60 hours before Passover starts. Talk about appalling.

Old 12-26-2008, 06:52 PM

5,261 posts, read 6,405,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yhwhshalomjr View Post
But still we're called to pray for them regardless of what our personal views are;
according to God's word, anything else that we say or do against these men and women of God collectively is "Slander" in context with the Bible .We're supposed to "Lead by Example".so that those that are walking in darkness, may see our light. But if we're talking about Ministers and speculating (gossiping"); then we're just as guilty as men and women of God as they are.
So IMO examining our own hearts and confessing and repenting our transgressions that we have commited; should be our primary focus. as Christians who walk the walk "and not just talk the talk"..
Having said that, Let me find the passage of scripture that reminds us as followers of Jesus the Christ, to do this.......
The log and the splinter" refers to Jesus' words in Matthew 7: "Why do you look at the splinter in your brother's eye but do not but do not consider the log in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, 'Let me remove the splinter from your eye'; and look, a log is in your own eye?" (vv. 3-4). Notice, however, the next verse: "Hypocrite! First remove the log from your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the splinter from your brother's eye" (v. 5).
Instead of telling us not to confront because of sin in our own life, Jesus tells us to address our own sin first, THEN go help our brother deal with the sin issue in his life. This ties in perfectly with Galatians 6:1, "you who are spiritual, restore such a one [who is caught in a sin]." Spiritual people are those who have no unconfessed, undealt with sin in their life. They are not hypocrites but are really striving for holiness. These are the people God uses to help other believers who are overcome by sin.
This enables us to approach our brother meekly, or humbly, as Galatians 6:1 instructs us. We are ever aware of our own sinful tendencies, which keeps us humble and gracious as we confront. Furthermore, as we put our trust in the Lord and not ourselves, we find that His love controls us (2 Cor. 5:14). After all, love is a fruit of the Spirit (Gal. 5:22), which takes us back to being "spiritual" (Gal. 6:1) as we confront!
So there's no reason to "get lost in [your] head" and to not be able to "find or hear the answers," because God has given us all the answers in His Word, along with the power to obey it (2 Pet. 1:2-3). We discover the beauty and blessing of God's will as we allow His word to renew our minds (Rom. 12:1) and transform us into vessels of honor that are fit for His service (2 Tim. 2:21) -- and that includes the ministry of confrontation! May the Lord bless you as you read and heed these principles from His infallible Word.
We have to careful when we are judging others, especially annointed men and women of God leaders", even if ;for the sake of argument we believe they are guilty.
I know that this reply won't make me popular and I probably won't get a rep!!(sniggling), But I'd rather be a God pleaser" than a man pleaser"; Thanks John1960 for this thread;
God Bless You
...Yes yhwhshalomjr...your wisdom is most evident. =+1rep4u...Love
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity